Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best credit card?

Options
  • 24-01-2005 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I plan on paying every bill off without interest. Ive sworn off them upto now but the lure of online buying is proving to be too much lately. Any suggestions welcome ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If you are paying the bills off withount any interest accumulating, then all cards are pretty much the same, as most standard offerings now have no annual charge, though i think the government levy still applies (Some changes were made to this levy in the budget, the details of which I can't recall).

If you think you are going to miss one or two repayments. even by accident, i believe MBNA offer the best interest rate, of all the established high street banks, at 15.9% APR. AIB offer what they call a 'low interest Mastercard', and claim an interest rate of 12.9%, but as usual, it doesn't do exactly as it says on the tin, as the interest accumulates daily from the moment an item is bought with the card, rather than from the monthly repayment date. Their 'normal' credit card charges 18.9% APR.

Bank of Ireland's standard offering, the Advantage card has a decent (relatively) rate of 16.8%, but is still obviously beaten by MBNA. PermanentTSB seem to employ a variable rate, but you could check this by calling them.

However the cheapest card in Ireland comes from an institution outside the major lending names. Tesco offer a card with a standard rate of 14.9% APR on all purchases, and is probably the card you should go for. There may be some restrictions on getting it, in terms of annual income etc., but the terms shouldn't be any more onerous than any of the competition's. You can read the fine print yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

MBNA's Gold Card currently offers a rate of 10.9% APR (variable). You can get better details of it here:

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/IRMPapp/Ctl/redirect?CV_sourceCode=iregold_cards&CV_banner=MBN-UN-20375-20667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I beg to differ lads.

Very often and definetly in the case of MBNA, the offering with the lowest interest rate, get money out ot you in other ways. Charge for missed standing orders, extra statements etc etc ad nausem.

The big banks dont levy these charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Amex Blue will refund 1% of your spending back to you each year, though acceptance of Amex is lower than Visa/Mastercard, particularly in smaller independent outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Permanent tsb ICE credit card has 9.9% interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tesco's Visa card has an APR of 14.9% which is pretty good for a standard card.
    http://www.tesco.ie/finance/visacards/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ulster bank used to do a thing where if you spent Xamount a year (I think 4k) they paid your stamp duty - Tesco were doing something similar

'PullMyFinger' I'm in the same boat as I pay off as soon as my wages come in (Usually 1 week before bill due) The only interest I ever pay is if I ever withdraw money on my CC all cash withdrawls are charged interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My ulster bank visa card has the "stamp duty paid" once you spend over €4000. Visa have never got a cent of interest out of me throughout my 5 years with them :) so interest rates don't come into play.

Advertisement