Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Bins

• 24-01-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I've been living here for almost 2 years now, and have become a diligent waste seperator -- but I want to know where the food waste in the brown bins goes? Do they make real compost out of it to give to farms? Or just drive it out and dump it into a field?
    Anyone know/care? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Corpo have some form of composting "device" that lets things rot at an accelerated pace and they harvest the methane off the top. After that, I haven't the foggiest where the remaining solid winds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Where in Galway are these recycling policies implemented? I live in the city centre and we just throw everything into the one bin. We used to try and seperate plastics, papers and glass but couldn't find any plastic and paper recycle bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

most houses and that have them, but the student places like Dunaras and that don't (that was on me manifesto and i still didn't get elected :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

The compost is decomposed in a biomass generator - I wrote a paper in secondary school on them - which, using bacteria and the like, decompose compost and organic mass (including sewage) into methane. The resulting solids can be used as eau natural fertilisers.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Nick .. thats nice ... but ...
    do you have locations of them .. I seem to recall a number of years ago ... "paper recycling" going on .. and it ended up that the paper was just being shipped to the dump as well ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Yank

I didn't expect to find people with the answers! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

simu wrote:
    Where in Galway are these recycling policies implemented? I live in the city centre and we just throw everything into the one bin. We used to try and seperate plastics, papers and glass but couldn't find any plastic and paper recycle bins.

My last accomodation in Greenfields had an array of bins, and we seperated our waste, the only problem was that sometimes it took so long to fill each mini-bin in the house before taking it out to the big bin that they (particularly the organic mini-bin) would create a bit of a smell.

My current accomodation only has a pair of those skip-like bins with the rolly covers and some wheelie bins for glass recycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

sounds like you're around dun na coirbe estate / cois ? na coiribe [:)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Naw, I've never lived in campus accomodation.
    It's an apartment complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Yank

I finally got this answer back from the Environment Section of Galway City, if you're interested:
    "The Brown bin contents is used to make a compost which is screened and used in the public parks of Galway. As it may contain a certain amount of contamination which may have entered through the Brown bin contents, it is not possible yet to sell it to the public. It has been tested and is known to be of a high standard in producing better growth for shrubs, flowers etc.

Sincerely,
    Marian Hardiman"

So there we have it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement