Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tracking and balancing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

byte wrote:
    Hmm, the wheels were balanced when the tyres were replaced. I shall check the pressures though. They seem hard though, unless over inflation causes the same problems as under inflation?

nah unless one tyre has more air in it than another. still the vibration would not be caused by under/over inflation. ur wheel or tyre is either warped or unbalanced for sure. are they branded alloys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yes front wheel drive cars need toeing out, the effect is the same though, the steering components become compressed. Also and I know someone else said this, general wear and tear will cause play in steering parts which is easier/cheaper to dial out with track adjustment, whilst keeping well within safety tolerances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

DivX wrote:
    Honestly i couldn't see an even buckling of a tyre all the way around, unless the there was a weird manufacturing defect or something.

If the car was parked up long enough with half soft tyres (couple of years maybe), a deformed part might form but it wouldn't be all the way around, just in the spot that was near the ground and then only the side walls, if it was there that long anyway, the tyre would probably be perished and need replacing.

suppose thats true cant really say, all i know is went from seriously uneven wear on the first set of tyres to normal wear on the second. my experiance is not to play with the factory settings. this doesnt just apply to cars........... :D:D:D

also everytime i have noted front tyres get old the cars i drive start pulling left. on replacing tyres in 3 or 4 seperate instances this is cured. this cannot be a coincidence. i am def of the opinion to replace the tyres first. if this does not fix it then onto more drastic measures. once u start playing with ur suspension settings they will never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

byte wrote:
    Hmm, the wheels were balanced when the tyres were replaced. I shall check the pressures though. They seem hard though, unless over inflation causes the same problems as under inflation?

BTW, they're not low profile tyres. Quite the opposite!

Check first that the correct pressure is in the tire, the car manual should give that to you or it could be on the door pillar.

Still think the wheels could be unbalanced. Were they balanced when the new tyres were fitted,(were they right at any stage after fitting the tyres?) a tyre wheel weight could easily have fall off also or not balanced correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just on wheel vibrations. there are 2 types of wheels, nut centered, and hub centred. if you don't use hub rings with hub centred wheels you will experience vibration at speed. no balancing will cure this.( mainly it applies to after market alloys).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I guess I'll have to return to the tyre centre. I'll check the pressures but I don't think they're the problem.

Stratos, funny you should mention the hub centreing. The alloys do have a small gap between the hub centre and the inner edge of the rims. Perhaps this has something to do with the judder, though it still wouldnt explain the drifting to the left. I might swap the rims around to see what happens?

Advertisement