Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Episode 13 - Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part Two

• 24-01-2005 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

:D Last show *sniff* *sniff* for this Season anyways.

Been a blast of a Season.

By the way had to get Fenster on the pole just once

What did you think of thie episode 70 votes

It was amazing!
    0% 0 votes
    It was great!
    65% 46 votes
    It was okay...
    24% 17 votes
    It was crap!
    5% 4 votes
    I'd rather watch Enterprise!
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By the way had to get Fenster on the pole just once

That sounds dirty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Best episode yet in my opinion. We finally get a glimpse of the Cylon plan.

And what an ending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

Dead ??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

1st off Stark no need to be jealous biggrin.gif

2nd best Ep ever - so good. Whata twist. Didnt see it coming at all.
    Not even goin to ask is he dead,dont want to ruin next Season (there better be a next Season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

OMG

Wow...

I'll have to collect my thoughs and post back tommorow...

Voted Amazing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Why did she have to wait so long to shoot him? She had a whole series! Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Adama's pretty f*cked, ey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Great, great episode, but I thought there was too much going on. I'm sure it'll take a few episodes at the other end to work everything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

oh my frakkin' Gods! I never saw that coming! I had kind of hoped Galactica Boomer had overcome her programming after destroying the Base Star. :rolleyes:

I'm still in shock. If anyone, I thought the President would have been expendable, but surely not the Old Man! :eek:
    Fenster wrote:
    I'm sure it'll take a few episodes at the other end to work everything out.

Hell, yeah - pray that we get a second season! Way too much tantalising material left to be dealt with!

I don't think he's dead though I hope he is. I wasn't particularly attached to his character and killing him would be very brave move.

The whole miltary coup in this episode was very B5ish and I hope it heralds things to come. I always felt Adama was a self serving power maniac lobbed into the role of "good guy" and we were expected to accept him as a good guy but I never really did. Watching him turn on democracy and seizing military control was a great move in my opinion and it was better than B5 in the sense that not everyone saw it coming and Adama wasn't a clear cut evil guy like Clarke.

I had a long post typed up but internet connection went dead as I was posting it and I couldn't go back to it. So much happened in this episode, we're in a very interesting place for Season 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I liked it allot. Didn't know if appollo's detrayal was real or some stunt untill the old mans final words to boomer, appollo just seemed too at ease with it all. What happened with the cue explains with baltar wasn't there, I mean the clyons obviously want him innocent of all of it, were as other wise he would have had to take sides. Boomer killing the old man, well she probably needed to othersie they wouldn't have gone to earth, for some reasons the cylons are desparate for them to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wasn't that impressed although its still very good TV.

They certainly left 2-3 things that were filmed out of the aired show. Most noticably the identity of the 5th Cylon model.

Its going to be very interesting to see how the continue, Boomer is exposed anyway so Helo's return doesn't really hearld anyting significant. The pregnancy wasn't really well hidden and one of the few obvious moves in the show. I can't see them killing Adama off, make no sense as none of the other characters are strong enough. I just hope they don't do the all-healing "star child" thing.

Ah well, the best thing about tonight? lots of naked boomers......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wow... I certainly didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

zOMG, NOOO!

They can't!! bastards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kind of disappointing end to the season.
    Far too many plot holes in tonights episode.
    Cylons seem to know Every move the colony make .
    How did Boomer know that Starbuck would come for the arrow ?
    Starbuck saw Boomer (Caprica) and immediately shouts she is a cylon .Hardly the reaction of a colleague.
    The prophecy and foreseeing is dragging the show down and it could do without it to be honest.
    Do the cylons need the humans to procreate ,Is that their plan ?
    Great first series but tailed off near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Absolute legend of an episode right up there with the best so far - can't wait for season two (just check out the US reaction it's a certainty). Let's just hope they have a version of the 'Omen' or 'Rosemary's Baby' on Caprica so they know what to do with Boomer's baby!

syke wrote:
    They certainly left 2-3 things that were filmed out of the aired show. Most noticably the identity of the 5th Cylon model.
    Who was it?

JustHalf wrote:
    Who was it?
    Boxy

The kid? Crikey. Where was this scene?
    Where are you getting your information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

JustHalf wrote:
    God

• Advertisement

Url?

JustHalf wrote:

The scene was cut from part 1 of Kobol's Last Gleaming

Oh yeah, and for all that they were in Stargate territory for the Kobol scenes, I think the scenery was pretty breath-taking and suited things just right.

Just one or two things bugging me.

Guyus is screwed when/if they pick him up. He tested Boomer and passed her?Doesnt that kinda feck im over.

Also - someone asked about do Cylons need humans to make babies - where else woud the baby batter come from.

Nukem wrote:
    Just one or two things bugging me.

Guyus is screwed when/if they pick him up. He tested Boomer and passed her?Doesnt that kinda feck im over.

Also - someone asked about do Cylons need humans to make babies - where else woud the baby batter come from.

He tested Boomer in an unofficial capacity. No one else knows about the test.

JustHalf wrote:
    Who was it?
    Fenster wrote:
    Boxy
    hehe :D
    JustHalf wrote:
    syke wrote:
    God
    JustHalf wrote:
    Url?

Heh! this thread is as mad as that episode,I enjoyed it and await the longer reviews.
    I'm still finding the whole idea of a press core in the fleet a tad annoying /borderline silly/ott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Just rated it 'Great' rather than 'Amazing' -- it was a very good episode, but I felt that there's been better episodes in the season.

Caprica -- excellent stuff, especially Starbuck/Six fight, so good -- Tricia Helfer again looked so happy to have scenes with people other than Gaius. Starbuck's reaction to C-Boomer worked excellently I thought -- I really felt her pain that her friend/bunk mate was a Cylon. Great acting by Katee. Helo finally has a human friend, shame he's a bit dim (yes Helo, Boomer's pregnant, shocking eh!).

Kobol -- Six just had the best material in the finale, her scenes with Gauis were fantastic, and I'm glad we didn't see some mutant baby in the cot. I loved the fact that the Cylons allowed the Basestar to be destroyed, much more interesting than the humans being able to infiltrate the ship and plant a nuke á la Independence Day. The Boomer scene on the Basestar was wonderful, especially that final shot of a naked Boomer cradling the nuke. :)

The military coup -- It worked, but I think it would've been better dealt with in a separate episode, removed from all the other developments in this one. To me, it was the one plot that could've been deleted so we could have had more Caprica/Kobol scenes.

The cliffhanger -- First of all, where was the 5th Cylon? :) In a way I'm glad we didn't get THAT on top of everything else, because it really would've been an over-packed episode. I have to say, I preferred other elements a lot more than the final shocker. It was sad, and dramatically interesting, but it didn't leave me with a whole "Nooooooooooo!!" feeling when the credits rolled. Gaius' destiny and Starbuck/Helo/Boomer on Caprica interested me a great deal more.

Hopefully the ratings for the first 2 weeks in the US hold steady and we get a second season.

Finally -- how cool was the Basestar explosion?!!!! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cylons seem to know Every move the colony make.
    How did Boomer know that Starbuck would come for the arrow ?
    I'm assuming there's a 5th cylon who informed them. The suspects could easily include Billy, who has access to the information via the Prez. S2 will probably tell us exactly who it was.
    Starbuck saw Boomer (Caprica) and immediately shouts she is a cylon .Hardly the reaction of a colleague.
    Huh? I don't understand you. Starbuck knows Boomer is on Galactica. Starbuck knows she's the only person from Galactica to get to Caprica. Starbuck sees Boomer on Caprica and thus knows it must not be GalacticaBoomer and thus Boomer must be a Cylon - I think her reaction is understandable.
    The prophecy and foreseeing is dragging the show down and it could do without it to be honest.
    Do the cylons need the humans to procreate ,Is that their plan ?
    Great first series but tailed off near the end.
    The prophecy angle is interesting, as is the whole religion element. It's something sci-fi rarely does and is very welcome for it. How it'll play out exactly will determine its effectiveness - is the prophecy merely the Cylons directing them or is it something more? I can't say it's dragging the show down - just adding elements that differentiate it.

As to the Cylons needing humans to procreate - it would seem to be their plan from what Six said, wouldn't it? Boomer's baby, according to Six, is the first of the new generation of God's children and Baltar is their protector. I'm assuming the idea is that the offspring will inherit the superior genetics/minds of the Cylons with the emotional core that fascinates the Cylons - best of both worlds.

Really good episode that, when taken with Part 1, I rated Amazing. I very much didn't see that ending coming but am pleased with how it turned out - I fully expected GalacticaBoomer to redeem herself on a suicide run. Sometimes I like being wrong :D

Now those damned Americans better keep watching so we can see what happens next. They are so far but there's ten more weeks to go yet...

Hopefully the ratings for the first 2 weeks in the US hold steady and we get a second season.
    If there isnt a second series it would be a travesty.
    Some of the crap the Networks are producing in the US gets 3 or 4 series.
    I cant wait until next Oct or Jan.
    Perhaps I could get a job on the set ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Really loved it:)

Got completely caught off guard by the 'fcuk me' moment at the end, and I like that about it. Didn't see that coming :p

Also loved the bitch slapping fight on caprica. Finally some girl on girl action with serious intent. I reckon they got a lot of built up agression out in that scene, it certainly looked like they were putting their backs into it!

As for the cliffhangers - loved that too. A show that's not afraid to put its balls on the table, and throw the dice at the end of season one. I've said it already in another thread - but this is the best season one I've seen of any show. period. Long may it continue.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I loved the way they did THE scene, really caught me off guard and was nicely done. Good episode, not the best one so far, but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

great episode. didnt see that coming in the end and it looked like she didnt even realise she had done it till she was wrestled to the ground. her suppressed progrramming finally took over after she couldnt deny what she was any more?
    The basestar exploding was class. seems they were willing to sacrifice a base star in order for her to finally complete her cylon mission.

quick everybody over to boards.us and start talking about how magnificent the series was so they'll all start watching it. :)
    or will that do any good cause it just where boards.ie users go when this place is down...??

anywho, really great 1st series. though the fact that so much happened so fast in it makes me a bit worried about the quality of series 2 if they go ahead and make it. heres hoping though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

frackin brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Brilliant episode! On the edge of my seat all way through.
    One thing though. Before Boomer shot Adama, there was a handshake between her and the technician guy (forgot his name) who discovered how the Cylon trasponders worked. Did he pass the gun to Boomer? Is he a Cylon as well then? Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

reply to above^
    No it was the copilot from the basestar mission wasnt it?.

They did give us a bit of a teaser when Boomer got all touchy feely with the captured cylon fighter when they were trying to suss out its internals(icky) and how to fly it. plus did she delibrately leave the door open when she was getting it on with the Chief Mech?.

Brilliant! nearly fell off my chair at teh end. so much goin on in the finale
    Didnt get the whole Baltar six opera house deal? Is it that Gaius created the Cylons in the first place? ie hes the brilliant genetic scientist that created the first batch of cylon clones? are they all Boomers/Sixs etc.

Also all the opera house deal with the (Babys Cribs?) isnt there its in his head so..... eh what?
    (erm could someone give me their take on this?)

there absol frikkin lutely HAS to be a 2nd series of Galatica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Season 2 spoiler - DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT IT SPOILED. This is 100% confirmed!!
    Boomer wakes up, goes into the bathroom and finds Adama in the shower....

• Advertisement

Didnt get the whole Baltar six opera house deal? Is it that Gaius created the Cylons in the first place? ie hes the brilliant genetic scientist that created the first batch of cylon clones? are they all Boomers/Sixs etc.

I don't think so. Gaius would have been just a kid when the chrome toaster Cylons were created and he was as surprised as anyone when the humanoid cylons appeared.
    Also all the opera house deal with the (Babys Cribs?) isnt there its in his head so..... eh what?
    (erm could someone give me their take on this?)

I think it was implied that Gaius was the father of the child in the crib and she was showing him a future child that would be conceived after Gaius met up with a physical Six incarnation and got it on.

"We love you Sharon". This scene with the naked Boomers interested me. Did they actually love her enough to sacrifice themselves for Galactica Boomer's sake? Do they recognise that they're fresh undifferentiated clones, whereas she has a lifetime of personal experience and is worth more for that?

As for the 5th cylon. I reckon unless the scene gets included in the US airing, it won't be considered canon.

An obvious way around Adama being shot could be if as Tmb said Boomer was having a preminition as she has had in the past.
    That would be too Dallas like and a bit of a cop out but tnone the less Logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Stark wrote:
    I think it was implied that Gaius was the father of the child in the crib and she was showing him a future child that would be conceived after Gaius met up with a physical Six incarnation and got it on.

My initial impression was that she was showing him Caprica-Boomer and Helo's future child. But who knows? Also didn't she say that Gaius would be the protector of a future generation (or words to that effect) ? It's silly of me to read too much into that but it sounds less specific that Gaius being the father.

A few general comments:

I think BSG has been excellent to date. Wish they had 26 episodes like every thing else !!

As a very long term Trekkie I am used to reading spoilers about Trek. That doesn't really matter with Trek because it's not plot-twist driven.
    As we all know plot twists are very important to BSG. So I urge everyone to be very careful about spoilers. Imagine how much less you would have enjoyed that last episode if you had known about the key event at the end in advance.
    I am also a bit concerned that a large portion of the US viewing public may be "spoiled". This just might have a bad impact on acceptance and viewing figures and therefore on the quality / quantity of future episodes.
    Does anyone know if season 2 will also be shown first on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

An obvious way around Adama being shot could be if as Tmb said Boomer was having a preminition as she has had in the past.
    That would be too Dallas like and a bit of a cop out but tnone the less Logical.

hmm.. sounds like strong possibility alright.

Also - something I'm surprised no one has mentioned.. think back to every cop-show/adventure TV series you've ever seen. The golden rule for people (and in particular the good guys) getting shot tends to be:

If they're truly dead - they got shot in the head.
    If you want them to "live until next week/series" - you shoot them in the stomach.

If boomers mission was to actually kill adama, then one of the two shots would have been a head-shot for sure. It's not like a cylon would miss from 3 feet away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm probably in the minority here but I was pretty disapointed with the episode. Does nobody else think that with it being the second of two parts they should have resolved much more, especially with it being the series finale. AFAIK at the time it was made there was no confirmation of a second series, imagine if it had of been left just like that for all time. I understand the need for a cliffhanger but they could have brought closure to some of the things from the previous episode and the series as a whole first.

Also I think the destruction of the base star was played down way too much, the whole thing ended up being about boomer realising she was a cyclon when there was a perfect oppertunity for a mid-scale battle as a diversion to help them sneak in. In general I think the series has lost it's way a bit, BG is supposed to be about humans and robots flying around in space blasting the crap out of each other first, and then the character stuff second. Instead it seems to have turned into a spacebound version of the west wing.
    syke wrote:
    I can't see them killing Adama off, make no sense as none of the other characters are strong enough. I just hope they don't do the all-healing "star child" thing.
    The starchild is exactly what I though of when boomer said she was pregnant. Altough I can't really see the fleet turning over control to a half human/half cyclon.
    I was thinking that Adama may end up like in the original series with the tubes coming out of his nose and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

stevenmu wrote:
    In general I think the series has lost it's way a bit, BG is supposed to be about humans and robots flying around in space blasting the crap out of each other first, and then the character stuff second. Instead it seems to have turned into a spacebound version of the west wing.

Have to disagree with you here - in fact the reverse is true - BSG differentiates itself by producing strong character based drama - space is merely the backdrop within which the characters operate. It would be a far weaker show IMO if it were to be a constant series of space battles which frankly has been done time and again. A few here or there to enhance the plot arc is no bad thing but we would all tire quite quickly of this premise. Moore's reimagining is as far from the comfortable "reset button" Trek universe as you can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Brilliant episode! On the edge of my seat all way through.
    One thing though. Before Boomer shot Adama, there was a handshake between her and the technician guy (forgot his name) who discovered how the Cylon trasponders worked. Did he pass the gun to Boomer? Is he a Cylon as well then? Anyone any thoughts?

I saw that too!! One of the bridge officers handed her something.....Gaeta(?) i think it was.

I'll watch it on Saturday, see if i can catch that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SofaKing wrote:
    I saw that too!! One of the bridge officers handed her something.....Gaeta(?) i think it was.

I'll watch it on Saturday, see if i can catch that again.

Yes Gaeta, that's him. I reckon there's definitely a link there.
    Post your opinion after you watch it again.

Regarding the comments above about the dramatic quality of BSG. I think that the emphasis on the characters is what makes this series great. The viewer is drawn in becasue of the depth of the chracaters. If we didn't care about them we wouldn't watch it. The whole direction of the series helped to establish an atmosphere that I for one cannot wait to experience again.

From the darkness of the abyss comes...

Oh that's interesting. Gaeta was also the one who came miraculously to Baltar's rescue in "Six degrees of seperation" right after he gave into Six's demands.

Also right after Boomer shoots Adama, he seemed to be the one in the most logical position to arrest/restrain her but made to attempt to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

regarding the whole "boomer premonition" idea, i don't think that could work because apollo was in the scene, in shackles, and Boomer couldn't have known that he had mutinied, so couldn't have included him in a fantasy/premonition.

On the subject of cylon transponders, these are designed so that the cylons can tell friend from foe right? so does anyone have any theories on why the cylons placed a transponder in galactica in the opening episode/miniseries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I dunno after watching all the ep's the series strikes me as odd more than anything else, it would appear the cyclons have no intensions of attempting to wipe out the human race...possibly looking for earth(god thing) . or they are just bored and wanna play with the human's heads a bit, been plenty of cases where cyclons were able to wipe out all of the humans but didn't....(and then there is the whole thing with boomer back home..)

Gaeta.Seems like a good choice(must watch on Sat as well)
    I would have the said the the communications officer though(whatz her name)
    Sh*t what about both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I would say "Great", not amazing.

Firstly, the ending was fantastic ofc, I don't think anyone can honestly say they expected it, personally I think Adama is the strongest character in the show and getting rid of him would be a sin, but we shall see.
    My theory on Boomer? When on the Basestar there was a moment where she was talking to the other boomers and we were in another scene. So it's possible that they "activated" her, and I think letting her destroy the baseship (which would be no great loss to the cylons) was integral to her getting close enough to Adama for the shot.
    It's possible that the Cylons want the humans to reach Earth merely so that they can destroy that too, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Cina wrote:
    I would say "Great", not amazing.

Firstly, the ending was fantastic ofc, I don't think anyone can honestly say they expected it, personally I think Adama is the strongest character in the show and getting rid of him would be a sin, but we shall see.
    My theory on Boomer? When on the Basestar there was a moment where she was talking to the other boomers and we were in another scene. So it's possible that they "activated" her, and I think letting her destroy the baseship (which would be no great loss to the cylons) was integral to her getting close enough to Adama for the shot.
    It's possible that the Cylons want the humans to reach Earth merely so that they can destroy that too, or something.
    but as a respected officer aboard galatica she'd have had plenty of opertunity to kill him, personally i think the cyclon's r taking the view "Meh they can't hurt us, lets have some fun"

No wonder the Cylons don't seem pushed about destroying Galactica, there seems to be more Cylons than human aboard ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement