Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Burke Jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Yaay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Good news alright - too little too late perhaps? I bet he'd top the poll if he ran following jail time, cause the idiots love a blackguard!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

w00t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

About time. He got off lightly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I doubt he will serve all 6 months, 45-60 days max i'd say. I suppose his first call will be to Liam Lawlor for some tips

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

6 months is nothing for doing what he did but I hope and pray he serves every day of the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to radio today was interesting, there were one or two constituency gombeens who still support Burke as he "fixed the drains for me in 1979" that sort of thing, but the body of opinion was easily 85-90% hostile.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm worried about Fianna Fail engaging in criminality like this. Should they be allowed play a full role in the democratic process when they are so closely linked to this kind of illegal activity? I wonder what our Minister for Justme makes of the behaviour of his fellow travellers, surely he does'nt believe that Fianna Fails leadership were not aware of this? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha ha! Difference is that Burke went to court and is now doing time (several others should to mind you). As for what Bertie knew...ah well.

The pity is he's got done for tax dodging not planning corruption.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not only were the leadership aware, they were at the top of the pyramid in all this criminality :D

Good to see Burke jailed although I would have preferred if he was in Mountjoy and do a couple of years intead of a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Not trolling and not supporting.....

At least Burke got to Court.......

How a Minister of Justice cand disregard the Democratic Judicial system when it suits is beyond me, and leave the Theif Harney in power, sheeshh!

Back to topic,

Burke got a very light sentance, I wonder if it was one of us, the standard PAYE worker, would we get the full 5 years. I think the mittigating circunmstance was more that he was still a cronie, than anything to do with his health. I wonder will he spend his sentence in a hospital (Blackrock ???) "under guard" if his health gets worse in the next few days due to stress!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting thing though is..Im pretty damn sure its a serious a offence to offer a bribe to a minister or even a civil servant, but how many of the great and the good who greased rambos hand will be charged with that though? *cough*ex-rugby internationals*cough* :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

after what this blackguard got up to six months was too light handed for him. he should have gotten at least two years.

ah well maybe they can get him to translate a few textbooks on taxation into braille up in arbour hill while he is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Can't say I take pleasure in seeing a man and his family destroyed to be honest...

alleepally wrote:
    Can't say I take pleasure in seeing a man and his family destroyed to be honest...

ocupational hazard of being a criminal i'm afraid. He knew the risks of being cought up with when he chose the life he decided to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Heard a discussion today where people were talking about him not being fit to go to jail because he is depressed.

Pardon?

He's going to jail and he's depressed? Quelle surprise.

I wonder would that argument even get a second glance for a young lad accused of stealing a car/tv/bike?

Of course it bloody wouldn't.

I say lock him up and if he complains laugh at him and point. Dammit we should all point and laugh a lot more at these smug corrupt bastards.

ocupational hazard of being a criminal i'm afraid. He knew the risks of being cought up with when he chose the life he decided to live.

Well if I ever see the day the heads of our fine banks go to the joy for knowingly help people salt money away in offshore accounts I might believe the system actually works.

And as an addendum to my previous post, on the same day Burke goes to Jail the following punishment was handed down by another court.....Think I'd rather the rapist take the place in jail tbh.....

24/01/2005 17:49

A 24 year old Donegal man who raped a woman at a house in Tallaght has been handed a three year suspended sentence. John McLoughlin from Buncrana and with an address at Alderwood Court, Tallaght, pleaded guilty to the offenc, in March 2001. The court heard the victim, who was then 21, woke up to find the accused having sex with her. Mr Justice Carney suspended the sentence on condition that he behaves for five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

alleepally wrote:
    Well if I ever see the day the heads of our fine banks go to the joy for knowingly help people salt money away in offshore accounts I might believe the system actually works.

So would you take pleasure in seeing them 'destroyed' (as you put it) then?

• Advertisement

So would you take pleasure in seeing them 'destroyed' (as you put it) then?

Nope. I'm simply making a point that the law should be applied to both the tax defaulter and those that facilitate the evasion. I still won't shout yay, w00t or whatever and dance on someones grave. I'd say if the taxman asked any of us to account for every penny we ever had there'd be a hell of lot more in jail than Ray Burke. I've a mate who painted a room one weekend for someone and got 150 euro. He never declared that and spent it down the pub... He's a criminal too.

And as an addendum to my previous post, on the same day Burke goes to Jail the following punishment was handed down by another court.....Think I'd rather the rapist take the place in jail tbh.....

ideally both of them should get locked up. the justice system is out of touch with the real world in this country.

your example and the fact that bourke got only 6 months are fine examples of this.

ideally both of them should get locked up. the justice system is out of touch with the real world in this country.

your example and the fact that bourke got only 6 months are fine examples of this.

Totally agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Gerry Ryan was on 2FM saying that Burke has a carpeted cell with all mod cons and a 72" plasma TV....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah heard that and was utterly shocked but the more i thought about it i realised that that couldnt be right and its probably only a 32" or 42" plasma.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jailing Burke is a good start, even if it's not for half long enough. Now, once we get every other card-carying Fianna Failer with a brown envelope in their pocket we can start claiming to have a justice system (as opposed to a justice shambles).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the justice system does not work and to prove it he hasnt been convicted of corruption but of tax evasion
    rofl
    if he had paid tax on his bribes everything would have been nice and legal yeah right...............

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This man is still receiving over €80,000 a year in pensions from the state!!

6 months is a very light sentence in relation to what he done, but the fact is the Justice system is always easy on white collar crime.

My issue here is Bertie Ahern appointed this man as Minister for Foreign Affairs in 1997, Bertie obviously barked up the wrong trees!!

Fianna Fail has questions to answer, this man was corrupt in every way and deserves jail and to have his pension withdrawn, Soldiers and Gardai lose their pension if convicted and sent to jail for more than 3 months. Why should I and every other PAYE worker in this state continue to pay this corrupt Former Minister for Justice over €80,000 a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Was he even tried for corruption? Is it slated to happen? If not, why not?

• Advertisement

No rax evasion because he did not declare his illegal 'earnings'.

Advertisement