Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Burke Jailed

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No rax evasion because he did not declare his illegal 'earnings'.
    Not the question I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not to worried over the fact that he only got 6 months. He's been publically named, shamed and shown to be someone of less than honest character, and that will forever stand against him.

Certainly though, there should be provision for such cases that the large pension entitlement be removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BuffyBot wrote:
    I'm not to worried over the fact that he only got 6 months. He's been publically named, shamed and shown to be someone of less than honest character, and that will forever stand against him.
    In Ireland? In Ireland, sadly, to many he'll be a hero.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

BuffyBot wrote:

Certainly though, there should be provision for such cases that the large pension entitlement be removed.

as has the likes of

Michael Lowry (the lads and lassies in north tipp apsoloutely love him)
    Charles Haughey (Former Taoseach)
    Michael Collins (Limerick county councillor)

which one of them was allowed to travel to new york while they were on bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

BuffyBot wrote:

Yeah as if that will stop people supporting him and as if he is too worried with his daily prison allowance to supplement his 80,000 per year gift from the taxpayers of Ireland. Fake a bit of depression and the judge will be lenient. He will be out in 3-4 months, lie low for a year and then release a book about how his experience. The people will love him.

Everybody knew in the '80s that he was a crook yet they all loved him including Bertie. I presume that is the acceptable face of criminality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

galactus wrote:
    Gerry Ryan was on 2FM saying that Burke has a carpeted cell with all mod cons and a 72" plasma TV....

You got to hand it to Gerry and RTE in general for brass neck, if you fail to make your annual contribution to Gerry's wages, by not paying your TV licence, you will be hauled off to court, fined, and face a possible prison sentence.
    That is the only "white collar crime" in this country, where the full rigour of the law is regularly applied.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And what's wrong with that jbkenn? The law of the land states that you must pay your television licence. Sure it's a disgrace that pricks like Burke hold onto their lucrative state pensions after being caught red handed, but that doesn't mean that we should just forget about law and order full stop. It means we need to pressurise our government, our representatives and, if necessary, to run against them on a platform of law, order and the prosecution of the corrupt ba$tards that have held power for the last 20/30 years.

DeVore for Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah as if that will stop people supporting him and as if he is too worried with his daily prison allowance to supplement his 80,000 per year gift from the taxpayers of Ireland. Fake a bit of depression and the judge will be lenient. He will be out in 3-4 months, lie low for a year and then release a book about how his experience. The people will love him.

Everybody knew in the '80s that he was a crook yet they all loved him including Bertie. I presume that is the acceptable face of criminality.
    I think you're missing my point - I'm not saying I'm happy that he only got 6 months, but that it's what he got and we just have to deal with that.

The point I'm making is that to any right-minded person, his reputation is pretty much in tatters which should (I hope) discount the possibility of his participation in any aspect of the political sphere. Of course everyone "knew" about him, but now that some of his dodgy dealings have been *proved* (always the important part, that), he's wrecked.

What I am saying is that I certainly do object to people in his situation holding on to enormous state pensions, which should be stripped upon convictions such as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

dahamsta wrote:
    Was he even tried for corruption? Is it slated to happen? If not, why not?

Dunno what the law is on that. I suspect he's probably done his bird though. After all, tax evasion was all the Feds ever had on Al Capone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think you're missing my point - I'm not saying I'm happy that he only got 6 months, but that it's what he got and we just have to deal with that.

Eh, I got your point.
    The point I'm making is that to any right-minded person, his reputation is pretty much in tatters which should (I hope) discount the possibility of his participation in any aspect of the political sphere. Of course everyone "knew" about him, but now that some of his dodgy dealings have been *proved* (always the important part, that), he's wrecked.

If his dodgy dealings were proved, why was he not convicted of fraud and accepting bribes. He was convicted of tax evasion. I am sure he will be bothered about his reputation when it does not stop the 80,000 the people give him each and every year!!

Every body 'knew' about his brown envelopes yet Bertir still had him in the cabinet!!
    What I am saying is that I certainly do object to people in his situation holding on to enormous state pensions, which should be stripped upon convictions such as these.

Unfortunately, his buddies do not think it is appropriate to do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rezmuter Duane

The Taoiseach acted correctly at the time. We hold the tenet innocent until proven guilty in this state. When Bertie appointed him to cabinet, he was merely appointing a senior member of his party to a Cabinet position. He was an elected representative, and the people saw fit to elect him. Therefore, until he was proven guilty, Bertie acted correctly in appointing him.

Also, when you consider that we are releasing murderers under the GFA, this pales somewhat into insignificance. We need to get our priorities right and put the real criminals in jail. Murderers, rapists, drug pushers etc.

Advertisement