Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Roughly 2.5 hours. Give or take 1/4 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Rebels 52 Trinity 18
    Trojans 31 Cowboys 10
    Rhinos 38 Phoeinix 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Went down for the first half of Trinity against the Rebels today. Why don't teams go for the extra point after scoring a TD? Is it because they have no one to actually take the kick? (The people taking kick off were pretty poor at it) Or is it the fact that they wouldn't have enough time for snap and to get it down in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

The Rebels have rarely kicked extra points as far as I can tell, there are other teams who do but it would seem the chances of converting 2 are higher than 1

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

SantryRed wrote: »
    Went down for the first half of Trinity against the Rebels today. Why don't teams go for the extra point after scoring a TD? Is it because they have no one to actually take the kick? (The people taking kick off were pretty poor at it) Or is it the fact that they wouldn't have enough time for snap and to get it down in time?

Last season the rebels went for 1 after every TD unless 2 was needed. However this year the three kickers they had are in other countries and so their down to their 4th choice kicker. One of there normal kickers returns mid season so they might go back to kicking XP instead.

Also something that people forget because in the NFL Xp's are a gimmie but they are missed occasionally in the IAFL. But lets assume that Your team is 100% on kicking XP's, they only need to be 51% on 2PC for them to score more points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Does anyone know if there are any flag teams in south dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Rhinos host Belfast Trojans tomorrow at 1pm in Castleknock College.

All welcome, set up to be a belter of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Jasondeans86er

Q Ball: ucd usually run a team (you dont need to be a member of the college to attend) if I think of anymore I will let you know, if you fancy the trip to glasnevin the dublin city 86ers are always taking players.

The Dublin city 86ers (flag) will be training again on sunday the 1st of april 10-12 at wadelai Park Glasnevin (behind the Matt weldon pub) all newcomers welcome to come down and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Gaa_ wrote: »
    I. Think its ridiculous
    What is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Hey guys, just looking for some up-to-date info on Dublin teams.

I know of UCD, the Rebels, Dragons and Rhinos, are there any other (non-flag) teams currently based in Dublin?

Thanks

-JayRoc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PLACE77

Trinity also have a team and there is a couple of 8's teams just outside Dublin in Drogheda and Trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Anyone going down to the UL game this weekend? there's also a double header out in Sportslink.

592941182.jpeg

http://nfl-ireland.com/2012/06/iafl-fixtures-week-16/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Hey all, I'm trying to put together a comprehensive team directory for Ireland! Could anyone running a team help me by filling out their details on this form?

http://nfl-ireland.com/teams-directory-listing/

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Are the Carlow chargers still going? I know it's off season but what team is best for someone from wicklow/Carlow area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm fairly sure the Carlow team folded a few years back after the coach transferred college. Word had it that nobody else wanted to do the work.

Was anybody else up in Belfast yesterday for the 8's charity tournament? Trojans, Cowboys, UCD, the Mullingar Minotaurs and the North Kildare Reapers all fielded teams.
    Kildare looked very impressive for a four month old team. Trojans are as physical as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

just fully got into watching nfl the other week been reading so much about it in the last week what a game, my friend plays for ul vikings who start pre season training this week which im gonna go down have a look might join up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

I've thought about starting to play as well but a few things holding me back:

I've yet to watch a game over here, so not sure of the players age/quality/size/fitness Level
    I'm 27 (a bit old for prime fitness?)
    I'm drastically unfit and would never be able to get straight into the game, would take a solid 6 months hard training before i'd consider myself in enough shape to play a game seriously
    The only sports I've ever played competitively were a local soccer team at the age of 13 for a year. Even then I was rubbish and rarely got a game.

I read John Grisham's "Playing for pizza" which brightens me up a bit, it's about a little league football team in italy, the players are all laymen, aged up to 50 and just play for the love of the game. Is this what the Irish game is like? how seriously is it taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Gweedling wrote: »

I've yet to watch a game over here, so not sure of the players age/quality/size/fitness Level
    I'm drastically unfit and would never be able to get straight into the game, would take a solid 6 months hard training before i'd consider myself in enough shape to play a game seriously
    The only sports I've ever played competitively were a local soccer team at the age of 13 for a year. Even then I was rubbish and rarely got a game.

I read John Grisham's "Playing for pizza" which brightens me up a bit, it's about a little league football team in italy, the players are all laymen, aged up to 50 and just play for the love of the game. Is this what the Irish game is like? how seriously is it taken?

As someone who coaches and plays here all of your concerns should not put you off the game. Joining a team now gives you 6 months working and training with the team and getting your fitness up while learning the game. All of the teams offer good coaching and it wont take you long getting into it.

IF you dont think you are up to full contact you should look into a flag team (fitness levels lower etc) depending on where your from I can poss name a team.
    Gweedling wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

There will be a new team based in Kildare town starting up very soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Deadpool wrote: »
    There will be a new team based in Kildare town starting up very soon

The Reapers or another one?

New one. some of the soldiers players and some of the chargers players.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

What do people think of the new plans for next season.
    http://www.americanfootball.ie/new-league-structure-for-2013/
    Seems new teams are starting everywhere.
    Anyone know who the new 5 teams who applied are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

neddynono wrote: »
    What do people think of the new plans for next season.
    http://www.americanfootball.ie/new-league-structure-for-2013/
    Seems new teams are starting everywhere.
    Anyone know who the new 5 teams who applied are?

I would imagine, Waterford Wolves, North Kildare Reapers applied. Not sure about the others, Mullingar Minotaurs, and Galway warriors possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Guffy

Lads just wondering about coaching courses. How does one get the level 1 course done?

I assume there is a way seen as every team has to have 1 level 1 coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Galway Warriors american football team are now recruiting, practices are on every Sunday 13:00 at Claddagh Park. People of all fitness levels and experience are welcome! We have a good group of dedicated guys! Here is the link to the facebook like page https://www.facebook.com/GalwayWarriorsFootball

South Kildare Soldiers are based in Kildare town and are looking for players and coaches. Phone TED on 0872109921

• Registered Users Posts: 8 macker20

TRIM BULLDOGS are recruiting players and assistant coaches. All levels of experience and fitness are accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 macker20

gufc21 wrote: »
    Lads just wondering about coaching courses. How does one get the level 1 course done?

I assume there is a way seen as every team has to have 1 level 1 coach?

I'm informed by the head of coaching that the new plan for Kitted Level One has been submitted to coaching Ireland and the teams will be informed once it has been approved. If you're looking to get into coaching we are recruiting assistant coaches for the upcoming season

Advertisement