Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Probably the best scenery of a pitch in the country, pitch is hard as **** though

It's out by Baldoyle/Sutton/Bayside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's out by Baldoyle/Sutton/Bayside?

Can't remember where but it's right beside a beach on a rugby pitch

Can't remember where but it's right beside a beach on a rugby pitch

Sweet!

Need to invest in some new boots and gumshields next!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Got rookie trials with the North Dublin Pirates on the 21st

Absolutely buzzing for it

How did you get on?

Paladonia wrote: »
    Got rookie trials with the North Dublin Pirates on the 21st

Absolutely buzzing for it

How did you get on?

That’s so weird as I was gonna bump this thread tonight!

Absolutely loved all 3 hours of it- coaches were so knowledgeable and approachable- big emphasis on the fun element and the Pirates being a family more than anything else. They were all a great bunch of guys :-)

I was a bit off the pace as I am only out of hospital a month after an extended stay but I’m doing my bit at home and in the gym to get my fitness levels up.

All things considered can’t wait to do it all again Sunday! Can’t recommend it enough :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

That’s so weird as I was gonna bump this thread tonight!

Absolutely loved all 3 hours of it- coaches were so knowledgeable and approachable- big emphasis on the fun element and the Pirates being a family more than anything else. They were all a great bunch of guys :-)

I was a bit off the pace as I am only out of hospital a month after an extended stay but I’m doing my bit at home and in the gym to get my fitness levels up.

All things considered can’t wait to do it all again Sunday! Can’t recommend it enough :-)

Played a cracking game against them last year and they're a great crowd. Between Kim, robert and the rest of the team you're with a good group.
    Hope you enjoy the training with them and the game

RTighe wrote: »
    Played a cracking game against them last year and they're a great crowd. Between Kim, robert and the rest of the team you're with a good group.
    Hope you enjoy the training with them and the game

Yup, they're all stand up guys (and girls! :p )

It was incredibly fascinating to hear the game itself broken down by people more knowledgeable than me - the little nuances, intricacies and strategies you wouldn't normally notice when watching a game.

It was just as much an education as it was a training/tryout day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I too went down for Rookie day with the Pirates. Had played for a couple of months when i was in college but all the cost of pads and everything put me off (the joys of being a broke college student). Took me 8 years but finally decided to get back into it and the Pirates were the right way to go.

They train out in Donaghmede but their games are played out in Malahide Rugby Club (great venue). Really enjoyed the training with the guys. They made sure to take all the rookies aside and go through all the basics really clearly. They went through it all like positional stances, running routes, ball security, taking handoffs correctly. Its amazing how much there is to learn about the game.

Definitely going to be sticking to it. And dont worry about size and experience. im 29, 5ft 10 and 82kg. They'll find a position for everyone. I haven't done any formal training in a long time, ant it was tough. But the coaches have a great "no man left behind" mentality when it comes to the training and the drills.

Here's to a good offseason and a better season with the Pirates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Seniorpeazel

South Dublin Panthers are very good for beginners. They are a growing club and take on quite a few rookies every year. They are extremely friendly and go out of the way to make sure rookies are catered for, not to mention they provide pads and helmets for rookies also, which saves you the expense of buying them just to see if you like it! They're also building a strong squad and it won't be long before they're challenging for titles. They ran the eventual winners this year (Cork) the closest - lost in double OT down in Cork. They also beat them down in Cork in the regular season.
    They train out of Westmanstown though, but there's always 1 or 2 driving out from the city if you need a lift.

Trinity have folded btw, so they no longer have a team.

Whatever you do, just don't join the Rebels :pac:

what's wrong with the Rebels?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

what's wrong with the Rebels?

Where to start :pac:
    Ah no they're grand, a right few sound fellows on the team, but I'd say a lot of them are happy there's not much in the way of testing :D

• Advertisement

Where to start :pac:
    Ah no they're grand, a right few sound fellows on the team, but I'd say a lot of them are happy there's not much in the way of testing :D

Is there no governance? or is that just you being facecious?

Is there no governance? or is that just you being facecious?

Ah look, it's all hearsay at the end of the day. There's some very good people playing for the Rebels, and they do a lot for the game in Ireland. They also have a very well run organisation, and because of their success there's bound to be a bit of envy. But to answer your question, there's no testing done whatsoever, like any amateur sport really. I've played with 3 teams before I had to stop it for the GAA, but have never even heard of anyone being tested.

Ah look, it's all hearsay at the end of the day. There's some very good people playing for the Rebels, and they do a lot for the game in Ireland. They also have a very well run organisation, and because of their success there's bound to be a bit of envy. But to answer your question, there's no testing done whatsoever, like any amateur sport really. I've played with 3 teams before I had to stop it for the GAA, but have never even heard of anyone being tested.

Understandable that there is envy. It's at all levels of pretty much any sport. Dont see why it would be enough to discourage someone approaching a club about joining them. Hearsay is also very toxic, can be very detrimental to an establishment especially if there is no truth behind it.

Given that you have said they do a lot for the game in ireland, i would assume that benefits all the clubs... dont understand why someone would then put them down.

Understandable that there is envy. It's at all levels of pretty much any sport. Dont see why it would be enough to discourage someone approaching a club about joining them. Hearsay is also very toxic, can be very detrimental to an establishment especially if there is no truth behind it.

Given that you have said they do a lot for the game in ireland, i would assume that benefits all the clubs... dont understand why someone would then put them down.

It was a joke man, relax. And best of luck with the season ahead;)

It was a joke man, relax. And best of luck with the season ahead;)

Not a particularly funny one though. I don't mind a bit of banter, we are used to it and it comes with the territory. Same as the other major contenders in the league. But actively warning people away from joining the club and making accusations/spreading hearsay that involves illegal activities isnt very fair.

Thanks for the good wishes though, appreciate that.

Not a particularly funny one though. I don't mind a bit of banter, we are used to it and it comes with the territory. Same as the other major contenders in the league. But actively warning people away from joining the club and making accusations/spreading hearsay that involves illegal activities isnt very fair.

Thanks for the good wishes though, appreciate that.

No it was a light-hearted joke the same way a Man U fan would say against a Liverpool fan. You got offended by very minor banter, and if I wanted to spread hearsay about the Rebels I could post a lot more.
    Me, I don't mind the Rebels at all. The few times I played them I got on very well with my opposite man/men, I respect them as an organisation but as they are, or at least were, the top team, they're the team to beat. Don't take it so personally and lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Awful news, was apparently on his way to the bus to go to a game.

https://twitter.com/WexfordEagles/status/1132968270649266176

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Cill Dara Crusaders finish top of the IAFL 2 and play Bulldogs in the bowl game in 3 weeks.

Getting close to business end in all leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Possible relagation escaping draw for the Knights in Cork today. Big upset tbf.

SBC playoff teams decided after yesterday also; Cork Admirals, South Dublin Panthers, Belfast Trojans and UCD with only the seeding to be determined.

• Advertisement

First bowl of the season and a great game too(if I say so myself)

Cill Dara Crusaders win IAFL 2 bowl

Warmest day ive played ball in anyhow

raven136 wrote: »
    First bowl of the season and a great game too(if I say so myself)

Cill Dara Crusaders win IAFL 2 bowl

Warmest day ive played ball in anyhow

Well done lad. Happy out for ye. Nice to see tommy back this year cracking player if he can keep the head screwed on.

Guffy wrote: »
    Well done lad. Happy out for ye. Nice to see tommy back this year cracking player if he can keep the head screwed on.

Cheers,im definitely getting too old for this,body in bits today :)

Tommy keeps all us old lineman feel like its worth it

MVP yesterday..kickoff return,1maybe 2 tds, ints...wonderful player

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

2020 season will be interesting for IAFL1 & IAFL2 teams.

Warriors & Wolves both seemed to have difficulties.

Possible return to North/South IAFL1 on the cards?

SBC format looks very solid, highly doubt there will be any changes there.

2020 season will be interesting for IAFL1 & IAFL2 teams.

Warriors & Wolves both seemed to have difficulties.

Possible return to North/South IAFL1 on the cards?

SBC format looks very solid, highly doubt there will be any changes there.

Is it usually 1up 1down for IAFL1 (Audits permitting)

Is it usually 1up 1down for IAFL1 (Audits permitting)

If both come back next year id imagine wolves and warriors will both go down. Crusaders up and possibly jets maybe if they want it.

Guffy wrote: »
    If both come back next year id imagine wolves and warriors will both go down. Crusaders up and possibly jets maybe if they want it.

Id love to see the Bulldogs come up
    3 great games against them

Nothing against the Jets either

Id love to see the Bulldogs come up
    3 great games against them

Nothing against the Jets either

Was a few years since i played them, they lacked numbers at that point, don't know how they're fixed now tbh but if they are able for it numbers wise, no reason not to go up.

Carrickfergus Knights got relegated From SBC and will play IAFL1 next year. Big fall from a team that appeared in the Bowl game only 2 seasons ago.

Playoffs start tomorrow. Trojans play UCD. Should be a good game, but you'd fancy Trojans to sneak it.
    Cork (undefeated so far) take on the Panthers in the other semi. Can't see anything but a Cork win there unfortunately, Panthers decimated by injuries after a very promising start to season.

• Advertisement

Carrickfergus Knights got relegated From SBC and will play IAFL1 next year. Big fall from a team that appeared in the Bowl game only 2 seasons ago.

Playoffs start tomorrow. Trojans play UCD. Should be a good game, but you'd fancy Trojans to sneak it.
    Cork (undefeated so far) take on the Panthers in the other semi. Can't see anything but a Cork win there unfortunately, Panthers decimated by injuries after a very promising start to season.

Its remarkable how good the admirals have been

When we were the soldiers we played them on a muddy field in cork a few years ago and they were decent
    Now a mate who plays for an SBC team says its like playing a totally different level

Fair Play them for that serious level of hardwork to improve

Advertisement