Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

TO. wrote: »
    Most teams just never kicked as it was easier to go for 2 in some cases.

At a risk of derailing the OP, why was this? generally difficult to get a good kicker or generally poor defence unable to protect against a short run/short pass game? Something I've always been interested in, as from watching the NFL the 2 point conversion is something only ever done if absolutely necessary/already way in the lead with not much time left on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Gweedling wrote: »
    At a risk of derailing the OP, why was this? generally difficult to get a good kicker or generally poor defence unable to protect against a short run/short pass game? Something I've always been interested in, as from watching the NFL the 2 point conversion is something only ever done if absolutely necessary/already way in the lead with not much time left on the clock.

Teams found it easier to score 2pt conversions. But on top of that most teams could find decent kickers but as I have said many times in here before a lot of people dont realise how hard it is to find a solid long snapper and holder. Generally in the IAFL when a kick goes wrong the long snap is either too slow or just crap and the holder then cant get the ball down in time or at all and the kicker doesn't stand a chance.

Having said all that most teams are working on it better now. With better coaching and time and dedication more kicks are being kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

How much does the ball weigh and dimensions in the IAFL?

Is there Offensive and Defensive MVP's awarded after every game?

How much does the ball weigh and dimensions in the IAFL?

Is there Offensive and Defensive MVP's awarded after every game?

The IAFL uses NCAA Spec college footballs. As too how much they weigh? That is a new one for me. Never been asked that before. And as for the awards most teams award their own awards at the end of games. The league on whole does not.
    Specifications

ARTICLE 1. The ball shall meet the following specifications:
    a. New or nearly new. (A nearly new ball is a ball that has not been altered and
    retains the properties and qualities of a new ball.)
    b. Cover consisting of four panels of pebble-grained leather without
    corrugations other than seams.

footballos.jpg

FR-20 Rule 1 / The Game, Field, Players and Equipment
    c. One set of eight equally spaced lacings.
    d. Natural tan color.
    e. Two 1-inch white stripes that are three to three-and-one-quarter inches from
    the end of the ball and located only on the two panels adjacent to the laces.
    f. Conforms to maximum and minimum dimensions and shape indicated in the
    accompanying diagram.
    g. Inflated to the pressure of 12-1/2 to 13-1/2 pounds per square inch (psi).
    h. Weight of 14 to 15 ounces.
    i. The ball may not be altered. This includes the use of any ball-drying
    substance. Mechanical ball-drying devices are not permitted near the
    sidelines or in the team area.
    j. Professional football league logos are prohibited.
    k. Advertising is prohibited on the ball [Exceptions: (1) Ball manufacturer’s
    name or logo, (2) institutional logo, (3) conference logo, and (4) AFCA
    logo].

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Games are 4 x 12 minute quarters (not 15). There's usually four or five officials at games, with seven for the Bowl game. No minimum fitness level required, although you'd obviously perform better if you're fitter.

When teams don't kick PATs it's usually because they don't have a good kicking unit as a whole - blocking, snapping and holding are all at least as important as the actual kick.

How did Glen Baker fair out?

Used to be in the IAFL but got a scholarship in the USA.

How did Glen Baker fair out?

Used to be in the IAFL but got a scholarship in the USA.

He went to a private DIII college in Massachusetts.

Do teams during training go to the gym or is it just field work, drills, playbooks etc...

Or is gym work just for the winter months or just do it off your own back to build up strenght?

Do teams during training go to the gym or is it just field work, drills, playbooks etc...

Or is gym work just for the winter months or just do it off your own back to build up strenght?

Depends on the team. I know 3 teams who have gym sessions mid week and field sessions at the weekend especially in the offseason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What's the story with the Irish game, any news on it? Big Ben is in the country tonight and is having dinner with Dan Rooney in a city centre restaurant that I won't name. I think they are going to some event in the ambassador's residence tomorrow night. Hopefully to talk about getting this game on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bateman wrote: »
    What's the story with the Irish game, any news on it? Big Ben is in the country tonight and is having dinner with Dan Rooney in a city centre restaurant that I won't name. I think they are going to some event in the ambassador's residence tomorrow night. Hopefully to talk about getting this game on :D

There are a few Steelers going to London over the next few days to promote the game in September so I suppose he just stopped off here to catch up with Rooney before joining the rest of them. Rooney's no longer the ambassador but I suppose he was invited back as 'former ambassador' for tomorrow's July 4th party in Phoenix Park that happens every year.

I doubt they are here discussing a Dublin game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Was having a laugh but that's probably the story alright, seemingly the thing where he spoke in London was last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was having a laugh but that's probably the story alright, seemingly the thing where he spoke in London was last weekend

Damn, my sarcasm meter is awful these days. You need to be adding smiley faces or something to let me know you're taking the pi$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭davetherave

The Shamrock Bowl semi-finals are on this weekend in the Garda Sports Club in Westmanstown, Lucan.

Recent Atlantic Cup victors Belfast Trojans face off against the UL Vikings at Noon. TCD and Dublin Rebels is scheduled to start at 3pm. Admission is free of charge.

Well worth a watch if you have nothing planned on Sunday.

The winners of these matches will play in Shamrock Bowl 27 on Saturday 20th July in Tallaght Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Met big ben yesterday at the ambassadors, tall guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

Has any of the Irish teams ever gotten an NFL player to come down to a training session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Couple of years ago Dhani Jones (ex LB with Bengals before he retired) was over in Ireland making a show for the discovery channel I managed to borrow about an hour of his time out in Lucan and arranged a few guys to go up to meet him/ go through a small bit of training.

Think we hosted an NFL punter in Castleknock 2 years ago but I didn't attend so my memory is hazy on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ggito

many websites can't open now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It would be pretty amazing to have a game here. Between this and the college games being played here (and Notre Dame will be playing one in 2017 against possibly Boston College?) it doesn't seem too far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

The IAFA would like to hear from any teams involved or playing Senior Flag Football in Ireland or any existing member IAFL teams that would like to participate and develop an Association based Flag Tournament or League. We would also welcome interest from any Female or Mixed teams that would like to consider developing a programme for games.
    Please contact alan@americanfootball.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Where's the best place to buy a decent American Football in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I was thinking of joining a team now I'm in college.

When does the next season start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Season starts around november time, Teams are starting their recruitment/rookie training around now, I know the Bulldogs in Meath had their rookie day today.

Matthew, I've been looking in a few shops around Dublin for a ball but couldn't find any, best bet is probably just Ebay/Amazon. Decent quality ball for around the €40 mark.

Think amazon had a nice ball for 20 quid.

Does anyone know when the audit meeting is going to be held?

Late October according to the website. Last year they were held at the end of oct start of november from what I remember.

As for Footballs most of the teams order them online or get the league balls from the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

matthew8 wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy a decent American Football in Ireland?

http://www.mcsport.ie/american-football-!579-cat.html

Edit: I don't know how decent you wanted or quality level, but it has the extra grip on it and decent price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Joined up with my local team last week and loved it

Defensive line much more fun than Offensive line :D

Anyone know where to look for good tips and drills etc online

Also any lads here who play lineman know what type of gym work etc to be putting in and work outside of training?

Thanks

raven136 wrote: »

Also any lads here who play lineman know what type of gym work etc to be putting in and work outside of training?

Thanks

Fair play to ya , the Reapers is it?

If it's D-Line a good link for drills / work would be ... http://www.dominos.ie ;-)

Just kiddin'

BKWDR wrote: »
    Fair play to ya , the Reapers is it?

If it's D-Line a good link for drills / work would be ... http://www.dominos.ie ;-)

Just kiddin'

No the soouth kildare soldiers

I have had years of dominos training :D:D

But lifting heavy the past few years so looking to put the bulk to good use ha

• Advertisement

No the soouth kildare soldiers

I have had years of dominos training :D:D

But lifting heavy the past few years so looking to put the bulk to good use ha

Nice, i'm sure you will be an asset to the team. Do update on how you are getting on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I read 5 new teams have applied for this season, Cork Admirals (reconstituted club), Dundalk Mavericks, Galway Warriors, South Kildare Soldiers, and Tyrone Titans. Plus a provisional application from University of Ulster Coleraine.

Anyone know if the league has a set number of new teams that are allowed into the league, or is it a case of if they pass the audit, and admin, etc; they will get in.

Anyone have any info on the how the league will be restructured this season?

We could have 20 teams next year.

Thanks

Strength and agility would be the main keys and Speed if you are an end. Youtube believe it or not has plenty of solid vids up there. I have stuff here but am in the process of moving to the US so if I get a chance I will dropbox some of it and will invite you to the folder. I was an offensive/defensive lineman before becoming a head coach with UCD and in my final year here with the Dragons was lineman coach and offensive coordinator.

Things to look out for on youtube:

2, 3 and 4 point stance. Some good vids on youtube perfecting the 4 point stance also.

Learn all the Techs also handy to know what they all are.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

Also search the rush techniques

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/2/28/2003172/defensive-line-pass-rush-techniques

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    I read 5 new teams have applied for this season, Cork Admirals (reconstituted club), Dundalk Mavericks, Galway Warriors, South Kildare Soldiers, and Tyrone Titans. Plus a provisional application from University of Ulster Coleraine.

Anyone know if the league has a set number of new teams that are allowed into the league, or is it a case of if they pass the audit, and admin, etc; they will get in.

Anyone have any info on the how the league will be restructured this season?

We could have 20 teams next year.

Id say only 2 maybe 3 of those teams will play football in the new season. A lot of different stuff flying around right now but nothing will be concrete until the league has its agm and all the audits are done.

Id say only 2 maybe 3 of those teams will play football in the new season. A lot of different stuff flying around right now but nothing will be concrete until the league has its agm and all the audits are done.

Even with only 3 teams coming in, it will make it possibly 9 teams in the SBC and 9 in the IAFL1. It will be interesting to see how the SBC divisions will be worked, if that is the case.

Even with only 3 teams coming in, it will make it possibly 9 teams in the SBC and 9 in the IAFL1. It will be interesting to see how the SBC divisions will be worked, if that is the case.

Would be disastrous if iafl1 didin't go divisional next year. Lack of playoff structure kills it early for a lot most of the teams.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Would be disastrous if iafl1 didin't go divisional next year. Lack of playoff structure kills it early for a lot most of the teams.

But that means have a IAFL 1 Championship game. I know the UK their lower division do it but out of interest how does the lack of a playoff structure kill it though? With 2 games left in the season mathematically 4 teams could have won the league in the IAFL 1 in the season gone. And there is only 7 teams in it right now. If there was a playoff structure those same 4 teams would have been the semi finalists anyways. So it really didn't kill any competition this year. Just look at the top 3 teams all finished on the same points and the league was won by a tie breaker.

Strength and agility would be the main keys and Speed if you are an end. Youtube believe it or not has plenty of solid vids up there. I have stuff here but am in the process of moving to the US so if I get a chance I will dropbox some of it and will invite you to the folder. I was an offensive/defensive lineman before becoming a head coach with UCD and in my final year here with the Dragons was lineman coach and offensive coordinator.

Things to look out for on youtube:

2, 3 and 4 point stance. Some good vids on youtube perfecting the 4 point stance also.

Learn all the Techs also handy to know what they all are.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

Also search the rush techniques

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/2/28/2003172/defensive-line-pass-rush-techniques

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the tips
    Had 4 sessions so far,learning the basics of OLine and DLine,some good sessions,some bad :D

Also had a snap or two at full back

Great fun so far

Thanks for the tips
    Had 4 sessions so far,learning the basics of OLine and DLine,some good sessions,some bad :D

Also had a snap or two at full back

Great fun so far

Been playing o and d line wirh my own club since i started. Played with another team cause they were short of players for a game and got thrown in at fb and lb never had so much fun. Get as many snaps as you can at fb. Learn to drop the shoulder and drive through someone. Best craic ever.

• Advertisement

But that means have a IAFL 1 Championship game. I know the UK their lower division do it but out of interest how does the lack of a playoff structure kill it though? With 2 games left in the season mathematically 4 teams could have won the league in the IAFL 1 in the season gone. And there is only 7 teams in it right now. If there was a playoff structure those same 4 teams would have been the semi finalists anyways. So it really didn't kill any competition this year. Just look at the top 3 teams all finished on the same points and the league was won by a tie breaker.

Why not have a championship game? Do new teams not deserve a playoff run? I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted? Next year there will be more teams, there will be more teams out of it before business end. Two divisions only way to go imo

There is no provisions in the bylaws for a playoff system in IAFL1. Kildare won the league because they had the H2H over the Dragons, and because they had a higher points difference in the H2H matchup against Waterford.
    If there was a playoff system then the three of them plus the Bulldogs would have been in it, Drogheda, Tullamore and Mullingar would still be at the wrong end of the table.

There is no provisions in the bylaws for a playoff system in IAFL1. Kildare won the league because they had the H2H over the Dragons, and because they had a higher points difference in the H2H matchup against Waterford.
    If there was a playoff system then the three of them plus the Bulldogs would have been in it, Drogheda, Tullamore and Mullingar would still be at the wrong end of the table.

I'm not talking about wether or not tullamore would have got in or not. I'm just saying hth is an awful way to loose or indeed win a league in AF, never mind points.

With the extra teams that are guaranteed to enter the league be it 1 or 4 i just think a playoff structure is the way to go with it.

I think the strongest team over the course of the year should be promoted. If it was changed to play off system, you could have the 4th strongest team being promoted, how beneficial would that be for the winning team, we've seen in the past teams folding/ or struggling because they've jumped into the top league too quick.

The main problem this year was the schedule was unfair, and unbalanced, only playing some teams once and others twice was a mistake. If every team played each other twice then its more likely a team would have jumped clear. Obviously you've got too many games then so maybe they will look into breaking the IAFL1 into two separate divisions.

Also, I think something like having one cross division (SBC vs IAFL1) game each, would be beneficial for the long term growth of IAFL1 teams.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Why not have a championship game? Do new teams not deserve a playoff run? I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted? Next year there will be more teams, there will be more teams out of it before business end. Two divisions only way to go imo

Playoff for what though? The top team on the last day of the season is the top team and should get promoted. With only 7 teams also in the division having a playoffs is also pointless because over 50% of the division would end up in the playoffs. Maybe down the line as the IAFL 1 grows it would make more sense.

Don't get me wrong I like playoffs as much as the next man as the top team should end up being the eventual winners if they are good enough to go the distance. But when over half the division can make the playoffs it seems like a point less exercise.
    I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted?

As for this I am sorry but this is down to Waterford and whatever negotiations they made with their grounds. They knew before going into the IAFL 1 there would be no playoffs and I don't know why what pitch they get to play on has any bearing on the rest of the IAFL 1. If they have to wait to get in to the top division to get to some playoffs well then so be it. Work your asses off and get there and then you get to play on the better pitch. Not really a good thing to use to backup your debate for playoffs really. All the IAFL 1 teams are in the same boat. Work hard, play hard and get to the SBC.
    I think the strongest team over the course of the year should be promoted. If it was changed to play off system, you could have the 4th strongest team being promoted, how beneficial would that be for the winning team, we've seen in the past teams folding/ or struggling because they've jumped into the top league too quick.

Agree with most of this but if it had to go to a playoff you would expect the strongest team to keep up their momentum and still win out.
    The main problem this year was the schedule was unfair, and unbalanced, only playing some teams once and others twice was a mistake. If every team played each other twice then its more likely a team would have jumped clear. Obviously you've got too many games then so maybe they will look into breaking the IAFL1 into two separate divisions.

I agree if I was a non coach the IAFL 1 league scheduling was so unbalanced but as a coach you have to take every game as it came and in the end put in the same amount of work to get to the top regardless of who you play. But I agree the scheduling needs to be balanced out. Having 7 teams in the league made it awkward Id say.
    Also, I think something like having one cross division (SBC vs IAFL1) game each, would be beneficial for the long term growth of IAFL1 teams.

I also agree with this. But I do think it should be scheduled in but not count towards the league with regards points and scoring. I think a mandatory game should be scheduled though. I have been on many a team who got bitch slapped by a much better team and I always told guys you have to raise your game to get to the same level.

With UCD when I took over as a head coach we started in 8's and went 6-2 and then in our 2nd season made the big leap and went 2-6 and lost badly in some games against more experienced opposition. But over the next 2 seasons the team improved and they continue to improve even now Im not there. The core group have continued on the journey and grown because of the coaching and the fact they knew their goal was to hold their own against bigger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

The wolves have one of the best pitches in the country. Full stop. You can check the iafa ratings on game days. The first game the yard markers where only in the middle of the pitch but the last 3 games where fantastic. They received a -2 rating from the officiating crew ( 0 is the best score ). They were told that if they will be in contention for promotion and there will be no home games for waterford Utd they might be able to use the main pitch in RSC.

• Advertisement

Izy wrote: »
    The wolves have one of the best pitches in the country. Full stop. You can check the iafa ratings on game days. The first game the yard markers where only in the middle of the pitch but the last 3 games where fantastic. They received a -2 rating from the officiating crew ( 0 is the best score ). They were told that if they will be in contention for promotion and there will be no home games for waterford Utd they might be able to use the main pitch in RSC.

Who said they didn't? And who actually cares? But thanks for sharing that with us. And basically what you are saying also shoot down GUFC playoff post also as it didn't matter whether it was playoff or not the main thing was if Waterford werent playing at home and the Wolves were in contention for the playoffs.

So do the Wolves think that being on a "better pitch" make you a better team?

Meath play all of their home games on the main pitch in Navan, the Reapers play all of their home games on the main pitch in Kilcock.

I would be all for each team having an inter-league game. It would be great to see how a new team like North Kildare or Mullingar would adapt against a team like the Rebels or the Trojans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

So do the Wolves think that being on a "better pitch" make you a better team?

it absolutelly doesn't.

in one of previous posts came up that if there was a playoff game the wolves couldve played it on the main pitch in RSC. that was never the case. thats all i was trying to say.

Izy wrote: »
    it absolutelly doesn't.

in one of previous posts came up that if there was a playoff game the wolves couldve played it on the main pitch in RSC. that was never the case. thats all i was trying to say.

Yeah but you also said the Wolves have the best pitch in the league even though it was never the subject. And you went on to tell us why. So you can at least understand why you got the replies you did.

But thanks for sharing that with us. And basically what you are saying also shoot down GUFC playoff post also as it didn't matter whether it was playoff or not .

I dont play with the wolves and was only mentioning info i was told by team members and coaches. Its no biggy. Its my opinion that 2 divisions in iafl 1 only way to go next year with up to 10 teams in the league. Just makes sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement