Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope mount problem

Options
  • 24-01-2005 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I've a 32x variable Optimate scope on my 1710 and It runs out of adjustement when I try and zero it at 100yds using subsonic ammo. I've tried two different sets of mounts (high and std rise) and also shimming (using two brass slivers under the rear mount) and no luck.

I dont really want to shim any more as I'm worried about damaging the scope body. Any other solutions ?.

MARK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Haket wrote:
    I've a 32x variable Optimate scope on my 1710 and It runs out of adjustement when I try and zero it at 100yds using subsonic ammo. I've tried two different sets of mounts (high and std rise) and also shimming (using two brass slivers under the rear mount) and no luck.

I dont really want to shim any more as I'm worried about damaging the scope body. Any other solutions ?.

MARK

35mm film negative is possibly better to use to shim with. Alternatively ,try some tapered bases. How many clicks do you have in total on the elevation turret? It seems odd that it won't zero unless the scope is faulty. This could be a possibility. Even using subs you should not need more than 70 clicks and most scopes would have more than this. The scopes have a limited lifetime warranty (first owner only) so if you bought it new it will be replaced,otherwise it will depend on your friendly firearms dealer. Good luck getting it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Assuming that your scope has 1/4 moa clicks ,
    70 clicks would roughly equal 17.5 inches of elevation @ 100 yards.

As Gouda said ...I would count off the total number of elevation clicks
    available on the scope ..

Wind it up fully (Slowly and gently) Then count off the number of clicks to
    the bottom end of its adjustment range .
    Divide this number by 2 and wind up that many clicks .
    That should put the scope adjustment at the center of it's mechanical zero.

Hope this helps ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If it's not, as already suggested, a mechanical failure with the scope, you might try a one piece mount. You'll be able to shim this to the appropriate alignment without having to worry about twisting the scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

I tried resetting the elevation adjustement yesterday (200 clicks in total) and at 50mtr the Lapua Club were falling about 18inches when the scope was remounted !. It took about 95clicks to get it zero'd at 50 so no adjustement left :-(

I then borroded another scope and it too was out of adjustement at 50 (about 10 clicks remaining), so I changed the mounts, same problem. So would I be correct in saying that its the rifles dovetails that are off and I'll need to shim / adapt the mounts to suit ?. I do have the mounts fitted far back on the rail, so I could try repositioning them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Try swapping the mounts round, i.e. front to back. Since you've tried two scopes, it seems the problem is more with the mounts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement