Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asp, sql insert statement

Options
  • 24-01-2005 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

lo,
    im tryin to add records into a database and i was wonderin if i need to put in a value for my ID field (which is the autonumber field) in my insert sql statement!

strSQL = "INSERT INTO Userinfo (Username,Password,FName,LName,Address,Email,Phone) VALUES ('" & Username & "','" & Password & "','" & Fname & "','" & LName & "','" & Address & "','" & Email & "','" & Phone & "')"

when i try to execute the statement i get this message: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Any of those variable values have a ' in them?

.cg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is phone text or integer?
    Sometimes I have found that field names 'username' and 'password' don't work until I place them in square brackets, i.e.
    "INSERT INTO Userinfo ([Username],[Password],[FName]...

also read www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_dbase/rwords/pf/rwords_pf.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Like kbannon mentioned... some field names conflict with functions and controls in vb, sql, etc. Can't remember many of them but I do remember having this problem a few years back. Solved it by using a standard for naming tables and fields in the table so that they do not conflict with these values. It's like using a variable name called "request" in asp/vb. It just ain't going to happen!!!

Here's what I use as default for table names and field names:

Example 1:

TBL_USERS
    US_ID
    US_FIRST
    US_LAST
    US_USERNAME
    US_PASSWORD
    etc.

TBL_PAGES
    PG_ID
    PG_NAME
    etc.

That's only my own standard that I use but you could you tblUsers or tblPages and usUserId, usFirst or pgId, pgName, etc.

Hope that makes sense. Try it and see how you get on :)

Advertisement