Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband and X-Box Live..Possible or not?

• 24-01-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

As the thread says, Is it possible to use X-Box live on IBB, and if so how if using ripwave(as you dont have fixed ip) and is the line quick enough? Cheerrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Ah come on, there has to be one person who can answer this!! Pllllleeeaassee!!

Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

It's possible with Breeze (VL gear) , I've been hosting up to 16 player Halo2 games.

Anyway, fixed IP isn't required for online gaming, you only need good pings.
    But given the reports about Ripwave I wouldn't bet on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

father_ted9t9,

I've been using Ripwave for gaming since October. Very patchy though.
    When the connection is good - it works okay - when the connection is weak don't bother.

Suffered bad lagging and skipping with Counter Strike and RTCW. Halo 2 is much better - probably to do with the way the games are hosted and with the lesser data transfer required.

You will suffer lag when playing punters from the US - so don't expect to win much. More often than not I'm dead before I even hear the shotgun! I don't think that's a Ripwave problem though - more likely that most games you will join are hosted a few thousand miles away.

Initial setup was instant for me. I shared an ethernet port out of my PC, plugged in the crossover cable to the Xbox and started up the unit with the live CD. It read my IP/DNS details automatically and went straight in no messing to the profile setup.

That said - you still need a connection and if you want stability don't go with Ripwave if you have another option.

G'luck!

(My Gamertag: Dades)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

father_ted9t9,

....setup was instant for me. I shared an ethernet port out of my PC, plugged in the crossover cable to the Xbox and started up the unit with the live CD. It read my IP/DNS details automatically and went straight in no messing to the profile setup....

Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about sharing my ethernet port outta my pc anyone? What do i need and where do i get it in dublin! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The way i share my connection is:

Phone socket - DSL modem - Hub/Switch - Computers

You can get a cheap switch for less than 50€ connect the modem to one of the ports (using network not USB port obviously....) then plug all the xboxes/pcs you want into the switch. DHCP should take care of the ip's 192.168.1.xxx usually.

I find that set up easier than connecting USB to a PC and then making that the gateway. Let the DSL modem be the gateway, far handier and less headaches.

I don't have an Xbox so I really can't say whether this will work but from what i know the xbox is basically a PC that can't be upgraded (in any significant way).

X

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about sharing my ethernet port outta my pc anyone? What do i need and where do i get it in dublin! Thanks
    I can't comment on Xcellor's method above, but if it's any use to my set is a follows:

Ripwave USB into PC. Run a crossover cable (basically an ethernet cable reversed - easy to pick up) from a €15 Network Card in the PC to the Xbox.

To share the ethernet port so that your Internet connection is going out, I think you need to go into Network Settings (on XP anyway). Create a new connection and share it - look at the XP help for more info - thats what I did.

Your computer should then work like a modem to your Xbox.

I guess if you have an ethernet Ripwave modem - you'll have to connect the Xbox directly to the modem (or have two Netword Cards on your PC).

Best of luck with it!

ps Ripwave has been behaving itself recently thank bejasus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Xcellor wrote:

You can get a cheap switch for less than 50€ connect the modem to one of the ports (using network not USB port obviously....) then plug all the xboxes/pcs you want into the switch. DHCP should take care of the ip's 194.168.1.xxx usually.

X

Not being picky but 192.168.1.xx -- not 194 -- otherwise you will have routing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I don't see why having 194.x.x.x addresses would cause routing problems. You can have any address and subnet mask but the advantage of 192.168.x.x adresses are that they are not routable on the Internet. Same is true for 10.10.x.x addresses. In simple terms, your network "hides" behind your router will never broadcast local addresses.

Advertisement