Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop HD to PC HD?

Options
  • 24-01-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine's laptop has just died on him. He needs to get some stuff off it's hard drive but more than likely it's a goner.
    Just in case it isn't, can he transfer anything from it to a PC hard drive?
    I know you need a special cable, a normal IDE cable won't do, but i don't know the name of it or whether they are widely available.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

There is such a cable or a convertor where to get i dont know.Its a 3.5 toa 2.5 ide i think.
    Another option is get 2.5 ide case with a USB or Firewire connection and just plug that in.How do you the comp is dead dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You can get USB Cradles for Laptop drives. Talk to "Stephen" he has one, can probably point you in the right direction.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

if you wanna connect it by usb go with the usb drive case that Nukem suggested or get a similar one on ebay, or if u wanna connect it the same way you would connect a 3.5" hd to a pc then there is a 3.5" ide to 2.5" ide convertor available here i originally bought a similar adaptor in peat's but it didnt work for me, i think maplin do them too if your not comfortable with buying on ebay though (and if your living in dublin)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Sorry me agin. This has been rattling me since i read it. Think this is what you are looking for linky
    Buddies lappie died and i offered to liberate his 30Gb 2.5 from him so i was think USB or ATA think il go USB. The size and capacity would be class.

Sorry lost in thought. Check Jes for cases as well - some nice tiny ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I think peats/maplins do them aswell, you need a data and power converter thingy.... its pretty standard. If the drive is a decent size like 20gb then your better off getting a case for it so you can use it as a portable hard drive like this one .... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122590&cks=PRL

Just the fact that the enclosue is €22 and maplins and that will prob charge ~€15 for the adapter which you will prob only use once, where with the case you have a nice portable hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks for the links but it's pointless buying anything a this stage 'cause TARGA are collecting it tomorrow (it's a LIDL laptop, bought 2 years ago) so he needs to get his stuff off it before then!
    I don't know if they will let him keeep the hd or maybe check to see if it is dead before they take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well targa are only a courier company... so they'll just take it.

John

Advertisement