Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.3Mk2 Golf Gearbox advice needed

Options
  • 24-01-2005 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

My mate has totally lost reverse gear in his 1990 Mk2 golf. it goes over to the left etc but just wont go in.

I dont think its the gearbox as such - maybe its the selector? Anybody know what we should check, anywhere that has details of how to change a gearbox (except the haynes) if we have to or any decent golf sites that will be able to help?

Also - how much should a gbox be from a scrappy thats proven working?
    Anyone have one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

first thing to check is the gear-linkage. there are a few joints on the golf linkage that are likely to be worn and these can be replaced without too much problem. it`s worth getting underneath the car and trying to select reverse directly. with one underneath and one trying to select gear from above you should be able to see the way it works. it`s worth a try. if you have to get a box get a 5 speed . the 4 speeds are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

ah 4 speeds rock :D (mini driver :p )

I think at this stage it'l be take what he can find - 4 or 5 speed.
    I was thinking it might be the selector or gearbox linkage someone else suggested that it could be the Selector bushes.

he said that it suddenly went from being way too easy to get into reverse (had a few reverse instead of first incidents) so would this shed any more light on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree - it may well be just a linkage prob.

I recall when I changed a Mk2 Golf clutch many years ago, I could not select reverse - and a few other gears as well! - when I reinstalled everything.

Turns out it was the selector linkage that needed adjustment.

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Cheers - should be able to have a play tomorrow - is all we need the haynes manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The linkage is a known weak point in these and the ball mount in the floor also. Could be any of them. the parts are cheap and not too difficult to get at, except for the ball in the floor. the exhaust may be in your way, from underneath.
    Drove one recently, 1st and REV were in the same place.... had to test for direction before letting in the clutch fully. Not sure what year it was.

Berkeley Publishing has excellent manuals for VWs. Expensive though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement