Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strang lovin

Options
  • 11-09-2000 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

I should prolly put this on the Humaties board and not laugh at it, but.......

Brain Injury Gives Hand a Mind of Its Own

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - A rare, poorly understood and often misdiagnosed brain injury is causing sufferers to lose control of a hand so it behaves as if it has a mind of its own, an Italian scientist said Thursday.

Dubbed the ``Dr Strangelove Syndrome'' after the character created by the late comedian Peter Sellers in the film of the same name, anarchic hand sufferers have one hand that performs against their will.

``This is a bizarre symptom,'' Professor Sergio Della Sala, of the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, told the British Association for the Advancement of Science festival.

``There are patients with lesions in the frontal lobes of the brain who have one hand that behaves in capricious ways. So one hand performs actions that the patient does not want to perform.''

Because they cannot control what one hand will do, the two hands often end up fighting with each other much like Sellers' Dr Strangelove character.

In the 1964 black comedy the wheelchair-bound scientist's hand kept attacking him and going into a Nazi salute which he continually tried to stop with his other hand.

``The patients are exactly like Peter Sellers. They come and they slam their hand and they shout: 'my hand does things that I don't want to do,''' Della Sala told a news conference.

One patient he treated arrived with the anarchic hand tied behind her back because she was afraid of what it would do.

Another patient had difficulty eating a fish meal because the anarchic hand kept putting leftover fish bones back into her mouth.

``The phenomenon greatly distresses sufferers and disrupts their daily life,'' he said, adding that it is so grotesque it often borders on the comic.

Only 40 cases of the syndrome have been recorded in medical literature, with the first reported in Germany in 1909.

Della Sala believes it has occurred more frequently but that sufferers were misdiagnosed and treated for psychiatric problems.

The condition is caused by damage to the supplementary motor areas of brain which can occur during an accident, injury or stroke. It can happen to anyone and to either hand.

One case of anarchic foot has also been documented, according to Della Sala

I know it's wrong but I'd just laugh myself silly if I saw that.

What did the foot do? Kick someone up the ass? biggrin.gif Next time you have an accident ***** slap the **** out of your boss and blame it on the hand smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Lol,i laughed hard at that biggrin.gif

i guess it shouldn't be that funny tho considering its other pple suffering,but hey,it is smile.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Advertisement