Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i check my download allowance on ntl broadband?

• 25-01-2005 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just got it today.

thanks.

had a look around but couldnt find the answer already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

cheesedude wrote:
    Just got it today.

thanks.

had a look around but couldnt find the answer already.

There is no tool that NTL provide to do this - download a program called "DU meter" or similar and you can do this yourself...http://www.dumeter.com/

The NTL limit is really only a guide, provided you dont go over too often they will leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There is officially a 30GB limit but the system originally didn't have one. They only brought one in last year but Afink its only enforced in England. Went over my own limit by a fair bit but when I got my bill it only states the 50 a month thing. There's no need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Does anyone know if the NTL limit of 1GB a day is just for downloading or is a sum of both upload and download?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oceanclub wrote:
    Does anyone know if the NTL limit of 1GB a day is just for downloading or is a sum of both upload and download?

P.
    Probably both ways, but it's not enforced any road.

seamus wrote:
    Probably both ways, but it's not enforced any road.

1GB per day is the AUP ( acceptable Usage policy ) it's not correct to say it is not enforced - if anyone takes it "too far" in the sense that it impacts on other users, then it is very much enforced! They have to be fair to all paying Customers and the AUP is a fair quota on average me thinks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

crawler wrote:
    1GB per day is the AUP ( acceptable Usage policy ) it's not correct to say it is not enforced - if anyone takes it "too far" in the sense that it impacts on other users, then it is very much enforced! They have to be fair to all paying Customers and the AUP is a fair quota on average me thinks...
    Have you ever been contacted by them. Yes, they do have an AUP, but so far they haven't shown any desire to enforce it rigidly. There's one guy on boards who regularly downloads above 100GB per month, and he says all he's gotten is a phone call from NTL asking if he wouldn't be better off on a Business package.

The bandwidth is shared, but subscriber numbers aren't at critical mass, and there's a lot of bandwidth, so it's not that big a deal. In short, yes they do monitor it, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's been reprimanded/charged/cut off for affecting other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well that makes sense really. If they have an excess in bandwith capacity then at least in the short to mid term we dont have to worry acout a cap.

seamus wrote:
    Have you ever been contacted by them. Yes, they do have an AUP, but so far they haven't shown any desire to enforce it rigidly. There's one guy on boards who regularly downloads above 100GB per month, and he says all he's gotten is a phone call from NTL asking if he wouldn't be better off on a Business package.

The bandwidth is shared, but subscriber numbers aren't at critical mass, and there's a lot of bandwidth, so it's not that big a deal. In short, yes they do monitor it, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's been reprimanded/charged/cut off for affecting other users.

There are one or two people out there...honestly! :)

Advertisement