Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys Wireless router problem with Netopia Cayman

• 25-01-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

I just got the wirless router and it says to basically plug the existing adsl modem into it and then your pc should pick everything up once it is set to get an ip addy automatically.

my laptop detects the router but says that there is no internet connection. the internet light on the router is on, the modem works fine directly through the laptop and i am certain that the cables are ok (tried several)

anyone used a wirless router with this modem before? its the standard eircom jobby.

any ideas what i might need to do? as far as i was aware, once i have the modem drivers etc installed, the router should just act as a link?

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Hi Karlh........if its the same as mine.....make sure the 'Starting IP address'( on first set-up page ) last digit is set to 2(think its 100 by default)....you might also have to put in Eircoms DNS settings........had to do a lot a pr**cking around with it but did get iti to work eventually

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

thanks mate. i forgot to say. if i run ipconfig, it isnt seeing the wireless router as a default ip addy at all. although the system picks up a wireless connection and says it is connected to it, i get no ip and no internet.

so i put eircom dns settings in the TCP/IP section of the wireless connection?

any idea what they are?

thanks again.

karlh wrote:
    thanks mate. i forgot to say. if i run ipconfig, it isnt seeing the wireless router as a default ip addy at all. although the system picks up a wireless connection and says it is connected to it, i get no ip and no internet.

so i put eircom dns settings in the TCP/IP section of the wireless connection?

any idea what they are?

thanks again.

......but you are seeing the wireless card of your pc if you run ipconfig..and the pc has wireless connection to router ?...I'm not an expert by any means.......am at work at the moment so am away from my machine......

......if it's any use PM me with your email and I'll send you my routers set up page........won't be 'til after 5pm tho'

ip config is blank but the wireless card is installed and can detect a connection. it's really weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does your wireless router have wired ports as well as wireless? If so, does your laptop get an internet connection when you connect your laptop to the router using a network cable?

Have you enabled security on your wireless router (WEP/WPA)? Are you broadcasting your SSID?

When you say: The wireless card can detect a connection, how do you know?

hey Krusty,

the wireless card instantly says that a wireless connection is within range.

i have since diabled wireless and am working purely off cables now.

the modem itself has a default gateway of 192.168.1.254 and the
    router has 192.168.1.1 is this the problem?

i have configured to obtain an ip automatically where possible.

i can ping and access the routers config through a browser but not get online through it.

when i run the setup disk to configure automatically, with my modem
    plugged directly into my laptop, it says that i do not have an internet
    connection although i can browse as normal!! at the same time

sorry if this is disjointed.

any ideas? ive emailed the manufacturers too....rang eircom support but they dont support 3rd party hardware as suspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just a thought - Which model of Netopia Cayman is it? Does it also include a router? If the Netopia is also a router, you could try disabling DHCP on the modem and use DHCP only on the LinkSys..

*bumpidy bump.....bump.....bump......thud.

Update:

I finally got the wireless working using a friend's modem. have swapped with him permenently so all is ok.....kind of.

I set the router to use the protocol (cant rmember acronym) which allows you to enter the username/password which it in turn sends to the modem.
    Changed the IP of the router to blah.blah.blah.2 to avoid conflict with modem.

I now have a very curious problem. I can connect to the web but not to the majority of the sites. I have not touched any other settings which could cause this. I can connect to boards.ie fine and even on VC poker which is somewhere like native american country.

Any ideas? Google, Yahoo etc just wont come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

To quote...

# [From the kernel help:
    #
    # This option adds a `TCPMSS' target, which allows you to alter the
    # MSS value of TCP SYN packets, to control the maximum size for that
    # connection (usually limiting it to your outgoing interface's MTU
    # minus 40).
    #
    # This is used to overcome criminally braindead ISPs or servers which
    # block ICMP Fragmentation Needed packets. The symptoms of this
    # problem are that everything works fine from your Linux
    # firewall/router, but machines behind it can never exchange large
    # packets:
    # 1) Web browsers connect, then hang with no data received.
    # 2) Small mail works fine, but large emails hang.
    # 3) ssh works fine, but scp hangs after initial handshaking.
    # ]

If the above 3 symptoms apply then you might be having MTU problems.
    Perhaps there is an MTU setting somewhere, set it to 1400 ish.. as opposed to standard 1500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement