Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend double glazing co.??

Options
  • 25-01-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Can anyone recommend a good double glazing company that have reasonable prices?

Does anyone have experience of how much upvc double glazing should cost for the following in a 3 bed end of terrace house:
    1 bay window (would probably need 3 windows)
    1 door plus surrounding panels
    1 patio door
    5 windows (not very big)

Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where are you based lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kograd

I'm in kimmage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry, I am down West so that is no good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

We replaced our windows 2years ago.
    3 average double windows and 2 6ftx6ft in 3 panel sections.
    After alot of looking around we finally went to Fairco.ie in contarf. I couldn't fault the fitters they were very friendly and neat.
    Can't remember what the price was but they were filling to match anybody else's. They also gave us a large cash discount.

highly recommended.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

We got 4 windows and a set of french doors replaced about 2 years ago. They were done by Wright Window Systems (www.wws.ie). As well as I can remember they charged eur3500 for the job, including fitting and removing the old windows. They were very quick and did a remarkably neat job (managed to replace a bathroom window which had tile right up to the frame without damaging any of the tiles !

They're based in Westmeath, but they've no problem doing houses in Dublin (thats where I am)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I was looking at getting my own done just before Christmas as was a little confused and variation I was getting for quotes.

One company said they'd do them all for 10,500
    Another company said they'd do the same job for 6,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Sleipnir wrote:
    I was looking at getting my own done just before Christmas as was a little confused and variation I was getting for quotes.

One company said they'd do them all for 10,500
    Another company said they'd do the same job for 6,200.

Yes, I remember the quotes being all over the place (I think Global windows wanted us to pay 8k for a job that we eventually paid 3.5k for)

It is a bit scary alright the price differences that they come up with, price ranges have come in from 4k (these guys are cowboys) to 10.5 for senator (who seem to be the extreme)
    One thing I will say is that IF possible see another job they have done.
    My brother got windows in from a reputable company and mother of god the problems, leaks, drafts, one of the outer panels even cracked with the wind!
    Then my granny got another company who install what is like fupping paper windows and doors, again a reputation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I too am looking at double glazing.

I really like the look of Rationel windows, but they are seriously pricey - though they seem to have become a selling point in their own right for new developments!

Has anyone any experience of Rationel?

What are the alternatives at that end of the market?

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Dinarius wrote:
    I too am looking at double glazing.

I really like the look of Rationel windows, but they are seriously pricey - though they seem to have become a selling point in their own right for new developments!

Has anyone any experience of Rationel?

What are the alternatives at that end of the market?

Many thanks.

D.

yes i too love the look of the rationel windows and doors - and they are constructed to exceptional standards - which is why i spent seventeen grand on them getting them in my new house ---- now i ordered them through the irish branch - which is the only way you can do it --- but they didnt tell me at the time that rationel dont actually sell the windows to the public -- they use agents -- and the agent they sent me to was a guy called greg seery from offaly - ( there are only about 2 agents for the whole country for private houses )

well greg is a very likeable guy and all that --- but to call the service i got from him and rationel at the buying/installation stage abismal and incompetant would be too kind.

you have to pay a deposit up front ( they made an exception for me and allowed me to pay by cheque !!! )
    then you need a BANK DRAFT on site before the windows are taken off the lorry - so you have no comeback if there's anything wrong

the windows took around 12 weeks to arrive ( i was told 5 weeks when researching the development and greg told me 8 or 9 when i was ordering them)

i was never given an actuall day or week that i could expect them to arrive - just waiting expectantly like an idiot for 3 months

when they did arrive they had 5 bits of glass missing and several were about 5 mm too big and needed to be sawn

then three bits of glass arrived down

then another 1

then another 1
    ( all the time phone call - argument - phone call etc )
    then the doors arrived ( after about 16 weeks or something daft like that ) - of course the glass in the front door was missing too

then i was called impatient

i work from daily lists and i had "ring raionel" on my list EVERY day for those 3 or 4 months

( there are many bits i'm leaving out )

---- now that was GETTING the stuff onsite

-- service afterwards was a different story -- the head service man at the factory in offaly is called frank and he was always fast, efficient etc etc

also i must mention that the windows are so good that they were ALMOST worth all the hassle

ps i have heard this report from several other people and i think it only happens to private houses not schemes

alternatives ---- i dont know if there any --- but if it was again i would search high and low to find one -- i think there is a sweedish crowd with a name beginning with S who do a similar product - also i know munster joinery do a reasonable copy of their domus (wood) range

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. You've just scared the crap out of me! ;-)

Seriously, bad service is something that I cannot stand.

Rationel have a showroom somewhere in west Dublin. I went there a couple of years back. But, as you say, they in turn sent me to an agent: I think it was in Bray. In the end, I didn't proceed for other reasons, but I am about to move house and I would like to consider them now.

I wouldn't deal with someone from Offaly for a job in south Dublin. I like to be able to sit on these people!

As to their payment terms........

Yesterday, I went looking at kitchens. I went to a shop in Dublin 2 selling VERY expensive German kitchens - €20,000 - €60,000.

Their terms are 50% deposit on ordering, followed by the remaining 50% ONE WEEK before installation. So, like you, one would have no comeback.

But, whatever one feels about dealing in this way, at least with Rationel, you are dealing with a very established market leader. With this retailer, I would be handing over the price of an expensive car before getting delivery of the product. I know that they haven't been in business for very long, so what if they went bust during the three month processing of my order? I would lose at least 50% of the cost of the kitchen. No thanks!

I can see their point of view too. The kitchen is bespoke. No two kitchens are the same size, and no two clients have exactly the same requirements, but still.........

If they had said that, say, 25% was payable on completion, I might have done business. But, not otherwise.

D.l

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

I am in the process of getting window quotes and christ the difference is unreal. I need 15 windows, and about ten doors, its a lot of doors alright but the house as a lot of glass so hence the amount of doors. Anyway I got one from Marvin in Wicklow, now granted their quality is superb, a top top product, anyway that came in at 44k , crazy or what. Got one from Rationel at about 18k+ for the Domus, which is probably the one I will go for. But after hearing that horror story about the hassle you got above , i dont feel so good about them, even though the product is pretty decent. I am waiting on one from Swedex in Wicklow, which i think is the one someone was searching for above.

Will let you know more when I find out myself

Given how much cheaper things are in NI, I am wondering if it would be possible to deal with, say, Rationel's Northern Ireland agent?

Just a thought..........

D.

Just did a Google for Rationel and came across this site advertizing on the results page..........

http://www.h-v.ie/

Might be worth a try too.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

My in laws neighbour got Marvin windows a couple of months ago and they are top class however he found them very rude and arrogant and ended up telling them to get lost because of the "cheque in the post syndrome" for supply of his patio doors. Had to get another make for the patio doors. One of the lads at work is getting Terenure Glass to replace a couple of broken windows and install a uPVC window too. I'll let you know how the job turns out.

Dinarius wrote:
    Given how much cheaper things are in NI, I am wondering if it would be possible to deal with, say, Rationel's Northern Ireland agent?

Just a thought..........

D.

you should try but i tried UK and also denmark ( or finland - cant remember ) where the windows come from but the salespeople in those countries are not allowed to sell to people in ireland because it would be going over rationel ireland's head

Harmon Vinduer looks good ....
    yes the other crowd that i was thinking of was swedex

pps i think i should mention that in spite of the terrible service i got from rationel - i would not necessarily disreguard them totaly if i was doing another job - because the windows are great and the service from the factory is v good so far - ( we needed a couple of bits of glass replaced ) -- no i would just get into the deal with my eyes open and make a special effort to keep them on a short leash - they are not conmen - just incompetent, and pretty old fashioned in the way i would expect business to be done --- if i was going for them again ( ie if taking all things into consideration they were still the best option ) then i would simply double the lead time they tell me to keep the pressure off at my end while at the same time i would put them under as much pressure as possible !!! :D

as above where the Marvin were 44k+, the Swedex came in at just under 20k+, for pine windows no alu clad though. I did try the same trick as dealing with agents from abroad for the Marvin, but got back a fairly robust letter from the company detailing why they used main dealers and couldnt be expected to go behind their backs and deal with individuals such as myself. I am still waiting on quotes from Harmon Vinduer they do seem like a decent job.

Bob you sound like a proper Maifioso, putting them on a short leash and sticking them big style !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

as above where the Marvin were 44k+, the Swedex came in at just under 20k+, for pine windows no alu clad though. I did try the same trick as dealing with agents from abroad for the Marvin, but got back a fairly robust letter from the company detailing why they used main dealers and couldnt be expected to go behind their backs and deal with individuals such as myself. I am still waiting on quotes from Harmon Vinduer they do seem like a decent job.

Bob you sound like a proper Maifioso, putting them on a short leash and sticking them big style !!!!

20K is insane money for a few windows. absolutely nuts. ffs windows are windows. my advice is have some teak double glazed windows made down in the midlands and save urself 15 grand. look far better than pvc crap anyway. ours were fitted 15 years ago and there is NO weather damage to them. they need varnishing properly only ONCE. how long do u expect to live for.? rationel my %^&

but to be honest we are not talking a few window, fifteen in total , eight french doors, which are always a bit expensive, got two this year in pvc and i think they came in at about 1200 each, and a front and back door, to be honest at 20k for Rationel i didnt think they were too crazy. Its a personal thing, but I would prefer pine to teak but fk knows, i could be wrong too.

That said I am all for saving lots and lots of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

but to be honest we are not talking a few window, fifteen in total , eight french doors, which are always a bit expensive, got two this year in pvc and i think they came in at about 1200 each, and a front and back door, to be honest at 20k for Rationel i didnt think they were too crazy. Its a personal thing, but I would prefer pine to teak but fk knows, i could be wrong too.

That said I am all for saving lots and lots of money

out of curiosity where did you get the French doors from for 1200e, looking to do an extension during the year so starting to source windows etc for it. Were they the small set? I'm looking for one small set and one large (size of regular patio doors ) I'm assuming that price was just for supply only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

A lot of developers deal with Wright Window Systems (now owned by Heitons - of Alantic Homecare fame) and Munster Joinery (My mother used to work there and Munster were always there biggest competitors). I don't know anything about price but i'd check with both before buying anywhere if I was you. Most of WWS's business is in Dublin so I wouldn't let the fact that they are in Westmeath be any sort of turn-off. I'm sure the same applies for others.

got that price down here in Tipperary, two french doors and back door, basic enough now to be fair, about forty or so ins, came to about 3k, thats if I remember right. Because of the way i designed the renovation of said house, i need to put french doors at either end of a corridor. They were fitted at that price too,in total for 5800 i got five white pvc sash type windows, one wood grain pvc window and the two french doors plus the back door fitted, so it wasnt too bad a price. If you want any more info, private message me

if only !!! - though the last year's experience of building a house may be telling though !!!

Advertisement