Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdict on UTV

• 25-01-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about switching from eircom broadband to Utv broadband and was wondering why it's never mentioned on boards. Is it because it like the ad says "laughable" cause it offers the same as eircom but at a cheaper price. So what the deal with Utv broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

UTV have been mentioned quite a lot..

Some people have had bad experiences, but it's been great for me since I signed up in September.

Only niggle is that every 48 hours my router disconnects and reconnects - I'm still trying to figure out is it my router or UTV.

-RikD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

It's Utv updating your download stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

paddy wrote:
    It's Utv updating your download stats.

What does that mean, do they enforce caps? 8GB is ok but i could easly go over it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stalfos wrote:
    I was thinking about switching from eircom broadband to Utv broadband and was wondering why it's never mentioned on boards. Is it because it like the ad says "laughable" cause it offers the same as eircom but at a cheaper price. So what the deal with Utv broadband?

Never mentioned on boards? UTV is probably the most mentioned ISP on boards - do a proper search. The other questions you raise have all been dealt with on boards many times too.

UTV have had many problems all detailed on boards. The problems have been in the area of reliability of service and very bad pings. Over the past 3-4 months reliability of service seems to have improved and pings have definitely improved.

UTV are the one ISP who clearly charge for going over the cap and make no mistake about this.

Up to recently they generally have had a good reputation for customer service but have had their problems recently due to staff shortages and have not been replying to emails from customers. (They admit to this)

UTV also have a support newsgroup. The also have some excellent support staff.

They are over anxious (in my opinion anyways) to find ways to tie people into addtional 12 month contracts but you dont have to worry about that part at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I've seen a few posts and one unanswered forum on Utv broadband and it seems like it's the same as every other broadband service, it has it's problems but it's fixing them slowly. That cap thing could be risky though, i may go for there plus package

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

they have an option that if you reach your download limit before the end of the month they'll suspend your account for the rest of the month, if you're that worried about exceeding your limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I've been using UTV for the last while now and I find their service to be fine. They do charge for going over caps (as I've done several times now) but IIRC it still ended up costing less than Eircom's basic package.

That being said I am heading over to NTL any day now (once I get past the inertia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

UTV's been grand for me for a while now... Started playing CS Source on it about a week ago and I'm getting grand pings to most places. My router disconnects aswell, but the problem is it wont reconnect automatically. major pain in the arse..

UTV billing also seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. Apparently my bank account (the same one I've had for years now) doesnt exist anymore. Every month I get a request to send them a cheque and fill out a new direct debit form. Unadulterated idiocy

Advertisement