Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smallville: New Season

• 25-01-2005 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Did anybody watch it on E4 last night! I thought it was good, back to the good form of the second season. There a few new characters now as well which should make things a bit more interesting. I'll be interested to find out exactly how Chloe survived last season's finale given the fact that she was blown up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

It was a nice touch having Margot Kidder in it and her mentioning that she and the Doctor (late Christopher Reeves character) had something special in another life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I really enjoyed the S4 opener -- it seems like the writers have a plan for the season with all the set-up for the leads. Everyone had something going on, with Lex, Clark & Lois on their various crusades, and for once Lana is utilised as more than just window dressing (although the shower scene in her frankly HUGE Parisian apartment wasn't very subtle).

Good start to the season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Damn, missed it! And Lana in the shower too. How disappointing, Smallville is great and Lana is extremely hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

that shadow!!!!

see im confused now , although im glad to see the story moving on, i missed alot of the last series, i thought the the program would stay in clarks pre-metropolis life, and for some stupid reason when the smallville first came on air i thought that the show makers had played with the original story and that lana lang was lois lane.... although the lois lane character seems like she'll be good....

what is lana lang's part in the superman myth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

errr... myth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Love Lana's new tattoo: sexeh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Was it edited like it is when on channel 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

what you mean edited?

Was it edited like it is when on channel 4?
    what you mean edited?

When C4 started showing Smallville originally, it was aired first on C4 @ 6pm during the week, then repeated on E4 @ 9pm. They had to edit it on C4 because of the early hour, some of the violence was toned down etc.

Now it's first-run on E4, and as far as I know, they never edit it when it's at 9pm. I'm not sure what they do to the Second Chance Sunday airing of it, because it's on earlier, 7pm I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

chewy wrote:

wasn't lana lang referenced in the superman comics as calrks teen girlfriend? maybe I'm wrong (not bloody likely) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

errr... myth?

I think he means mythos

Yes, Lana was Clark's first girlfriend in the comic. Though their relationship wasn't as drawn out and protracted as it is in Smallville. But they're just ripping off Dawson's a Creep -sorry Dawson's Creek- in that respect.

Interestingly, yer wan who plays Clark's ma in Smallville, can't remember her name, actually played Lana Lang in the Superman movies. How about that!

Does anyone know where the black krytonite came from? i was confused by that

It came from Margot Kidder - what I want to know is how did they know what effect it was going to have on Clark?

And they're still cutting bits out of it for the Channel 4 showing - just like ITV did with Jurassic Park and the Lost World for the past two weekends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

OFDM wrote:
    It came from Margot Kidder - what I want to know is how did they know what effect it was going to have on Clark?

I asked the same question in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204830

Checking into the Smallville forum again, sum1 posted that Black Kryptonite was only in the comics once & that is was originally billed as being able to kill Superman. I guess since Martha only had a small piece, that amount would incapacitate him, not kill him. Seems as though the writers have alot of coloured Kryptonite that they will conveniently call into action @ nessecary times.
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Come on pretty blue and yellow Kryptonite ... ;)

I thought the whole Calel thing was a total anti-climax myself. All that build up and then "Clark I love you". "Oh okay, die Calel. And we're back to normal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

chewy wrote:
    I don't really watch smallville but noticed this the first time I saw it a few years ago. Clark's mom, Annette O'Toole, played Lana lang in Superman3 the movie :) It's some random trivia I remember from watching the Superman movies years ago. I think they meet up in the movie because of a high school reunion.

it so long since I've seen the movies I just could not remember her in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Chloe Sullivan Born 1987 death 2004

When did this show start and am i to beleive that the characters are 17 years old?

If it start 3 years ago that means that when it started that each of the characters where 14 at the start. How do I not beleive this?

Anyway other then that it was a good start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

weird how they brought in lois so early; since clark and lois met for the first time in the daily planet, "or so the ledgend goes" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ruffty^ wrote:
    weird how they brought in lois so early; since clark and lois met for the first time in the daily planet, "or so the ledgend goes" :(

I don't think they care too much about the legend after all they've made Jor-El evil and made Clark and Lex best friends!
    Not to mention bringing in Native American mythology into the show.

What I want to know is,where's Pete?Does he not care about the fact that his friend was supposedly killed?Surely he can leave his home and head back to Smallville at least for for a visit?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 opthrcks

I'm enoying this season so far (early days yet I know), but I'm really glad that we seemed to have stopped with the Clark/Lana "will they/won't they" plot, it really was wearing a bit thin.

I prefer Lois as a character to Lana as well, perhaps its just me, but I think the writers didn't know what to do with Lana.

I'm loving the season so far too -- nice reshuffling of the main cast going on. Lana no longer hanging out of Clark & Chloe is nice :)
    Lois is also a lot more fun than Lana, but poor Chloe....still not gonna get yer man are you?? :(
    What I want to know is,where's Pete?Does he not care about the fact that his friend was supposedly killed?Surely he can leave his home and head back to Smallville at least for for a visit?!

Hopefully Pete will never again 'grace' Smallville with his presence -- talk about a waste of space! He never did anything but get into trouble and need Clark to rescue him. Even when the writers made him privy to Clark's secret, he was just a liability rather than anything important to Clark.

poor old Pete; I`d say the truth behind him was just to keep the network happy race wise...They probably got rid of him cause there are feck all black people in heartland america towns, its mostly american football and cheerleader bs; or thats the impression I get form every film based in a similar backround..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

When does the new season start on Channel 4/Network two does anyone know?

TCamen wrote:
    Lois is also a lot more fun than Lana, but poor Chloe....still not gonna get yer man are you?? :(

Chloe had quite an expression on her face at the end of the last episode when Lois dunked Clark in the water (and Lois and Clark gave their "we're not interested in each other.....really" looks).
    She did not look pleased.

Chloe had quite an expression on her face at the end of the last episode when Lois dunked Clark in the water (and Lois and Clark gave their "we're not interested in each other.....really" looks).

Yeah, just when Lana is finally out of the picture, along comes Lois to turn Clark's head. I was kinda annoyed with Chloe's little speech about the 'pretty people' too. It's not like she's ugly -- Get some self esteem girl! :rolleyes:

is there no part of the orginal story which has former kryptonians turning superman evil???

and no i havn't read the comics, my bro downloaded the entire back catagloue of Batman and Xmen and started to read but there so damn many and their ahrd to read on the comp...

Out of curiosity, did anyone think it jumped quite severily from when Clack recused Lois, to the next scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I take it nobody knows then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Tiz on E4 so I'm assuming C4 should follow soon. Not sure though. I've seen up to episode 13 of Season 4 and the show is kinda getting on my nerves at this stage.

I hate those chats that Clark has with his dad:

Mr. Kent: "now son" / "yes son" / "son"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

But Dad, you always told me... <insert life lesson>

Clark does it anyway.

Finds some freak, who doesn't appear to be a freak, but ends up kidnapping, trying to kill, doing something bad, which results in their capture/death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oooh and low and behold, it's the exact same scenario in the next episode then only with a different "freak"!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't think they care too much about the legend after all they've made Jor-El evil and made Clark and Lex best friends!

Well erm, it's either in the movies or in the comics, or perhaps it was in the dean cean television series that they mentioned clarke and lex were indeed best friends growing up.

what age is lois lane supposed to be... im confused now, isnt' she supposed to be a hot shot reporter what she doing writting for the highschool rag

• Advertisement

She is meant to be in college but she didn't get enough credits. so she had to repeat a semester. And by writing in the paper she gets extra credit! QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ahh it's all just getting a bit too much like Enterprise now. Sequal show messing with the franchise canon.

Ok... ok ok sorry i'll stop :P

lois looks ridiculous matching witts with cheerleaders like 5 years her junior; almost as stupid as Chloe being 17. Besides that they`ve really nailed special fxs haven`t they? =-Bullet time-=

Poor Chloe. AGAIN. :(

Lois does look quite old for high school, but then, so do most of the 'teenagers' on Smallville ;)

Tonight's E4 episode was decent enough, though I enjoyed the previous 3 eps of S4 more.
    Pity Clark & Lex didn't stay enemies longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

For a pretty girl, Chloe made an ugly cheerleader. Looked good in the football jersey though...don't tell me Clark didn't go for it when she sat on his lap!

• Advertisement

Finally got to watch Mondays episode, was ok but not great.
    Not pleased to see Lois going, but I presume they'll manage to dream up reasons for her to visit :)
    We did get some classic Smallville scenarios though - mixture/chemical modified by meteor rock, the father/son talk where all life is explained, great :D
    Poor Chloe, imagine going through all that and still getting the 'lets be good friends' speech....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've just seen the 14th episode. If anyone else had to see it, let me give you a big sympathetic hug :( The show has really gone to the dogs..

Did yee see the add for next mondays one, looks brilliant. There`s some kid that must be the "flash" or somethin, since he was running rings round clark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

yeah I saw that earlier... seems like a good idea.

hopefully it'll answer the immortal question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Achilles wrote:
    Well erm, it's either in the movies or in the comics, or perhaps it was in the dean cean television series that they mentioned clarke and lex were indeed best friends growing up.

in the Lois+Clark TV series, Kal-El became evil, married some evil kryptonian, and tried to take over the world in the last(?) series, but it was cheaply done and tbh the series had gone to the dogs long before that.

ixoy wrote:
    I've just seen the 14th episode. If anyone else had to see it, let me give you a big sympathetic hug :( The show has really gone to the dogs..
    Don't be so krypto... eh I mean cryptic...

As for comparing Smallville to the comics and movies - only the comics are "canon" - the movies, cartoons and numerous tv series are just *interpretations* of the comics which all have slightly different back stories.
    For instance:
    - A black Lex in the Superman: The Animated series
    - Pete Ross being black in Smallville/
    - Chloe existing at all in Smallville
    - Lex living in Smallville, in Smallville (yopu know what I mean)
    - Lex and Clark being friends when Clark is in high-school in Smallville
    - Various effects of different coloured kryptonite in different series
    - An apparently evil Jor-El in Smallville
    - In Smallville, the Flash being
    Bart Allen aka Impulse/Kid Flash, and getting his speed from a lightening strike instead of inheriting it from his grand-father (who in fact was the one who had been hit by lightening)
    - Smallville episode 4x11
    Jimmy Olsen banging Chloe
    - Clark being forced to marry an alien bride in Lois & Clark

So it's perfectly legimate for the writers to mess around with what people consider the true story of Superman - even the comics did this - having to clean up the inconsistancies (eg can Superman fly or just leap long distances in a single bound?) with the Crisis on Infinite Earths series.

And for anyone who's seen episode 4x10 I really liked the reference to the comics when Lex has a vision
    of him being the US President
    - they may not do everything exactly the same as the comics, but at least they make references to them for hard-core fans...

OFDM wrote:
    So it's perfectly legimate for the writers to mess around with what people consider the true story of Superman - even the comics did this - having to clean up the inconsistancies (eg can Superman fly or just leap long distances in a single bound?) with the Crisis on Infinite Earths series.

So which is it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Krypto the wonder dog, cape and all. My god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I like Smallville's little nods to the comics, etc..

Anyone catch that reference to the Justice League on E4 on Monday.

SofaKing wrote:
    I like Smallville's little nods to the comics, etc..

Anyone catch that reference to the Justice League on E4 on Monday.
    The episode with Bart Allen (Kid Flash/Impulse)? Yeah nice little "maybe we can start a club or a league or something" comment...

There's rumours that they'll give him his own spin-off series too...

• Advertisement
Advertisement