Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ss exhaust on beemer

Options
  • 26-01-2005 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

another guy here is flogging a ss exhuast, 3", would this be tacky on a 94 316?!

dont want to look like a boyrace or get some knackers eying up the car y'kno :D

just would like some opinions....

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

another guy here is flogging a ss exhuast, 3", would this be tacky on a 94 316?!
    very much so!
    dont want to look like a boyrace or get some knackers eying up the car y'kno :D
    well you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

think if a ss exhaust suited a BMW that they would already have fitted it as standard?

concorde with go faster stripes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hmmm

was thinking. what cars have ss as standard then?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

none...

makes you think...

what make is the one for sale then? Most stainless systems are designed to make noise and nothing else. Some exhausts do sound nice* but if they end up looking like a piece of wavin pipe sticking out the back then forget about it! Oh and don't even consider an exhaust on either side of the rear!!!

* eisenmann, AC Schnitzer, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Lots of jealous people in here, X in the city. ;)

S/S looks fine on my Impreza, sounds rather well and an extra 7 bhp on the bench, thank you very much... It's the only mod' I've got, motivated by the normal exhaust components not lasting 20-odd kmiles before they need replacing - this S/S line is garanteed for life!

...Don't know about on a Beemer, tho :p;)

a SS system looks good on an impreza as it is an agressive looking car. A SS system on a BMW is hard to make look tasteful!

Mmm... maybe. Me unconvinced. I reckon any car can get a S/S in a tasteful enough way, provided the right components are sourced and professionally fitted (e.g. a muppet doesn't end up trying to fit a 4" Bore pipe on a 1L Micra, sticking out by a good 5" or more :D ).

For instance, this looks good enough to me:
    3251.jpg
    3252.jpg

its on the for sale column, its a 3" job. an extra 7horses would be very nice, but not at the expense of scums eying up the car!

the jurys still out thou :confused:

oh, and kbannon, its not a M (a 'proper' M ) so deffo no twin tail (or quad) pipes...... :D

i'll leave that till i get a real m3......ahem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kbannon wrote:
    what make is the one for sale then? Most stainless systems are designed to make noise and nothing else. Some exhausts do sound nice* but if they end up looking like a piece of wavin pipe sticking out the back then forget about it! Oh and don't even consider an exhaust on either side of the rear!!!

* eisenmann, AC Schnitzer, etc.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/662000-662999/662841_7_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/662000-662999/662841_2_full.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/bmw/8502.jpg

i think exhausts either side look cool, gives a symetry to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The only thing I could add to all the above is, I have a Sports car with a big exhaust on it. It makes lots of noise and gives a few more h.p. It's great for doing some driving in (sweet music). However I find and it's just my opinion that the exhaust rumble becomes tiring on ordinary journeys. I also had to retune the carbs for the extra airflow. However the Bimmer being efi I guess you don't need to worry about that. On another note if any welding is needed on the exhaust most dealers won't use stainless welds, the ordinary weld will rot out.

lomb wrote:
    i think exhausts either side look cool, gives a symetry to it
    Sticking a photo of an 850iCSi 5.5L V12 is not an accurate representation of what i meant - I was talking about the cretins out there driving crap cars and then decide to make them look 'better' by adding a 2nd exhaust

anyway - see www.jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm for what not to do to a BMW or any other car!

bloody f*** hell. them beemers are a joke kbannon........particularly the mugen one.maybe its a jap import :D

theat guy posting a v12 8 series was way off the block, this is a humble 316i, excuse me, does anyone read the posts............

i wont be getting twin tail pipes, go faster stripes, or a dining table spoiler even.

that 3" exhaust is a possibility, later on i will possibly get the add on angel eyes (least its not a civic no more!). and a high flow air filter.

thats about it mod wise. oh, and a h320 i-river ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Here's question, adding a new (larger) manifold and exhaust to my (old car), coupled with a free flow air filter meant I had to change the carb' needles and completle retune and balance.More air / more fuel. With modern fuel injection cars doe's the ecu / injectors just compensate, or is there a set up required ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

theat guy posting a v12 8 series was way off the block, this is a humble 316i, excuse me, does anyone read the posts............

its called a joke, however the rear of the 8 looks similar in many ways to other bmws of the era just after the 8 was released.

As far as I know they compensate, but 'compensate' rymes with 'approximate' - better to setup properly, because the values output by the engine mod may be beyond the range of the ECU firmware.

BTW (X in the City) - the extra 7 bhp is just what the S/S (supposedly) added to mine, but fitting the same exhaust line (Magnex) to yours may give a totally different figure... the same as fitting one brand/type of S/S line or the other may likewise output totally different extra bhp figures.

Advertisement