Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB corruption

Options
  • 26-01-2005 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Stilling ploughing my way through it fixing stuff as I see it. I still think there might be one or two things I still need to optimise. If you get any SQL errors from the site, please post them below. Thanks :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Provided we can get back in to post them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

JUST got this at 3:26am

There seems to have been a slight problem with the boards.ie/vbulletin database.
    Please try again by pressing the [url="javascript:window.location=window.location;"]refresh[/url] button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our [email="jerry@boards.ie,regi@boards.ie"]Technical Staff[/email], who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

I got the same error as frank at 3.29

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

kinkstr wrote:
    I got the same error as frank at 3.29

I imagine it hleps if you post the url of the page that provides the error ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Just to fill you in the current status at boards.ie: sometime on Monday we started having problems with our vBulletin database (currently over 2 GB in size) where the server process kept dying. After a few attempts to restart this, ecksor ran a repair and managed to get things running on Monday night. This was okay until Tuesday afternoon when the database returned to its bad behaviour. Again, regi tried a database repair, which didn't solve the problem. He then started an advanced database repair which took ages (due to the huge size of the database). regi and ecksor identified a potential SQL problem with a vBulletin modification we installed for RSS feeds.

This has been a bad week for boards.ie; it was just at the end of last week that we had to replace our web server hardware after it "fell over". However, if this article from Slashdot is to believed (Monday, January 24th to be Worst Day of the Year), then things were meant to go wrong on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Well good luck with all of it. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sterling work lads. Kudos.

Any plans to migrate the DB to another server, or is it nothing to do with MySQL at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

regiwork.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Subbed list not working, IE6 sp2
    Every other drop down menu works

azezil wrote:
    Subbed list not working, IE6 sp2
    Every other drop down menu works
    Check out Clouds thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cloud wrote:
    Regi and ecksor identified a potential SQL problem with a vBulletin modification we installed for RSS feeds.

Oops :o :rolleyes:

Good work all the same... Hope things get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

WizZard wrote:
    Check out Clouds thread.
    lol i'm blind, carry on ;)

Does this explain why we've no stars?

Papa Smut wrote:
    Does this explain why we've no stars?
    I see loads of stars.

Dump your cache, and you should have them back.

Ah, where is clouds thread? I can't see it. Also, how the fúck do you get in to the moderators board! I can't find it since my subbed list disappeared!

John

Clouds thread is just about one or two below this one at the mo'

<edit>Titled: Combat Manoeuvres</edit>

Ahhhhhh

John

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Regi needs to change his sig .. I don't think it makes sense anymore :D
    "The slack admin" NOT.

Fair play lads .. been a tough week .. when MySql plays up it can be an absolute b*t*h to find out the real cause of the problem. Heres hoping {bubby crosses fingers}

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Cloud wrote:
    He then started an advanced database repair which took ages (due to the huge size of the database).

<NERD>
    Go on tellus - how big is the DB?
    </NERD>

2GB I think, from another thread.

• Advertisement

otron wrote:
    <NERD>
    Go on tellus - how big is the DB?
    </NERD>
    Yeah, 2GB.

The repair took around 7 hours, not including the amount of troubleshooting, tweaking and hacking they had to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

well done to the guys!
    if this was a pub i'd buy ya all a bloody pint!

cheers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, 2GB.

The repair took around 7 hours, not including the amount of troubleshooting, tweaking and hacking they had to do.

Do they have any idea longterm why it keeps corrupting?? Is the database mirrored or stripped? If so, might want to look into that.

bubby wrote:
    Do they have any idea longterm why it keeps corrupting?? Is the database mirrored or stripped? If so, might want to look into that.
    From what I gather it was the mysqld process that kept crashing, causing the DB to become corrupt. At the moment, we're running on a "Vanilla" install of VBulletin, becuase they're trying to track down the cause of the process crashes.
    It would seem that the corruption is a software issue, not a hardware one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It seems that the server is able for the lunch rush, anyway of restricting the load, if that is the problem?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

On page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2312854#post2312854

Error on page:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ' in /usr/local/www/www.boards.ie/vbulletin/includes/functions_showthread.php(640) : eval()'d code on line 145

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ' in /usr/local/www/www.boards.ie/vbulletin/includes/functions_showthread.php(640) : eval()'d code on line 145

Vb Bulletin Message:

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
    File: /usr/local/www/www.boards.ie/vbulletin/includes/functions_showthread.php(640) : eval()'d code
    Line: 145

Link worked second time I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just delete all of Bubba's posts, that'll fair optimize the db.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

your not running MySQL on windows are you? There is a new worm about. Mentioned on /. just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

No, we don't run mysql on windows. The mysql machine isn't even directly connected to the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement