Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney Marsh sacked over tsunami joke

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Bateman wrote:
    It's just typical of the type of language used by the P.C. moral guardians.

Bateman, how would you feel if you logged onto boards.ie here and you saw jokes about your late granny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

galactus wrote:
    Bateman, how would you feel if you logged onto boards.ie here and you saw jokes about your late granny?
    Where is the joke about the Asian disaster? I certainly wouldn't mind a joke that mentioned my late Grandparents.

It is the year 2032 and a father and his son walk the streets of lower
    Manhattan. Approaching the site where the World Trade Center used to be,
    the father sighs and comments, "To think that right here used to be the Twin Towers..."

The son, not understanding, asks his father, "What are the Twin Towers?" The
    father smiles and looks at the son, and explains, "The Twin Towers were two
    huge buildings that used to be here until 2001, when the terrorists destroyed them."

The son looks up to his father, and asks, "And what are terrorists?"

What makes one joke worse than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

galactus wrote:

If she died along with nearly a half a million poor souls, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Rodney Marsh didn't "make jokes" about anyone's granny, so what relevance does this hold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The most scary thing about this whole episode is the fact that I think you are actually serious above. You need to get some perspective into your life :eek:

i think there the ones who need to get a perspective on life. it was a joke about david beckham, nothing more nothing less.

If someone in your job said that job, do you think they sghould be sacked aswell? no a chance, they would be sued for unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If someone in your job said that job, do you think they sghould be sacked aswell? no a chance, they would be sued for unfair dismissal.

I would expect to be sacked if I said it in mine but there is no way I would be insensitive or stupid enough to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

i think there the ones who need to get a perspective on life. it was a joke about david beckham, nothing more nothing less.

Be that as it may. The joke was using the diaster as a means to make a joke of David Beckham. I do not find it offensive nor do I find it funny. Many people did think it was in bad taste for Marsh to air it on his 'prime' slot and complained to Sky. Sky had also their corporate image to protect as outlined in the article above and would probably have moved against Marsh without the complaints from British viewers.

As for perspective, I was referring to your hysterical reaction to the decision his employers made, your wish that people die because they complained and the fact that you think they are all thick and stupid. A huge over-reaction to a silly man getting sacked for something his employers did not agree with, why should you get so upset :confused:

Yes I would expect to get the sack if I aired it in such a high profile manner. The company I work for has offices all over the world including South East Asia and they would take a very dim view of this 'joke' being aired on their behalf on prime time TV.

You would probably get away with it in the local factory floor but don't kid your self that a primetime Sky Sports broadcast is the same as the factory floor.

The Muppet wrote:
    I would expect to be sacked if I said it in mine but there is no way I would be insensitive or stupid enough to do so.

how is it insensetive?

i take it blonde jokes are outlawed in your workplace aswell.

As for perspective, I was referring to your hysterical reaction to the decision his employers made, your wish that people die because they complained and the fact that you think they are all thick and stupid. A huge over-reaction to a silly man getting sacked for something his employers did not agree with, why should you get so upset :confused:

the death thing was a joke(well not a joke but certainly not meant seriously, i thought that would of been obvious)

it just annoys me when people get so PC over jokes, soon every single joke will be frowned upon because they all offend someone, or thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

it just annoys me when people get so PC over jokes, soon every single joke will be frowned upon because they all offend someone, or thing.

Correct but there is a time and a place for those type of jokes and Skys prime sports phone in was definitely not the place for that joke. Marsh should have known better.

• Advertisement

how is it insensetive?

You should not need to be told why telling a joke on TV referencing a natural disaster that has taken hundreds of thousands of lives less than a month after the event is insensitive. If you can't tell the difference between that and a Blonde joke your ignorance astounds me.

The Muppet wrote:
    You should not need to be told why telling a joke on TV referencing a natural disaster that has taken hundreds of thousands of lives less than a month after the event is insensitive. If you can't tell the difference between that and a Blonde joke your ignorance astounds me.

both jokes make fun of peoples stupidity as the punch line. so it made reference to a disaster? I really cant see the big deal about that. So jokes about any kind of disaster shouldnt be allowed said on tv?

i agree DUb, he should of known better, but its still a shame he got the sack over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I can't believe anyone, bar Beckham, was offended by that joke. If Rodney mentioned my late granny in the same way he mentioned the disaster I wouldn't care because he wasn't pokeing fun at the victims, he was pokeing fun at how stupid David Beckham is.

And Rodney was excellent so long as you knew not to take anything he said seriously. Thinking about it, he's said FAR more offencive things that are worthy of the sack. I remember back in the day on YOSS when women rang in he'd tell them to "do the washing up and stop worrying about the football" or something like that, now that I could understand him being sacked over.

both jokes make fun of peoples stupidity as the punch line. so it made reference to a disaster? I really cant see the big deal about that. So jokes about any kind of disaster shouldnt be allowed said on tv?

Now you're getting there. there's nothing funny about a quarter of a million people being killed. Some subjects are to painful to make light of particularly on mainstream TV/Radio.

no one said there was anything funny about a quarter of a million people being killed, but what is fun is beckhams perceived stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The Muppet wrote:
    there's nothing funny about a quarter of a million people being killed

Which is why nobody was joking about it, it was simply mentioned in a joke about David Beckhams intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

no one said there was anything funny about a quarter of a million people being killed, but what is fun is beckhams perceived stupidity.

Exaccerky.

Slash/ED: Agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I heard today that Marsh actually read this joke out from an e-mail sent in. It just seems harsher by the day.

Advertisement