Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nForce?

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Could someone explain to me what exactly nForce means, and what advantages does it have?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's just one AMD chipset from nVidia afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

nForce is one of the 2 possible chipsets for an AMD motherboard to have.
    The VIA chipsets are generally a bit cheaper and are supposed to be rock solid at stock speeds. nForce chipsets are a little dearer but the only way to go if you want to overclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

padraigf wrote:
    The VIA chipsets are generally a bit cheaper and are supposed to be rock solid at stock speeds. nForce chipsets are a little dearer but the only way to go if you want to overclock.

Cheers, the mobo im getting is nForce3, im still not 100% on what it means but atleast i know its good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

padraigf wrote:

Via arent that bad for overclocking either, i wouldnt say nforce are the "only" way to go for overclocking

• Advertisement

Yeah, youre right there gline. Just meant in general.

Of course you would say that with a VIA board in your rig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

padraigf wrote:
    Yeah, youre right there gline. Just meant in general.

Of course you would say that with a VIA board in your rig ;)

True but my last mobo was nforce, i think they are both equally ok for overclocking if you now how to get the max out of ur cpu and memory etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Nforce support much higher FSBs so an unlocked chip means lower the multiplier and raise the FSB to get the same speed so not really overclocking ;)

The nForce Ultra motherboards at the moment aren't great for ocing at all. Lots of them seem to be locked at 233 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Locked or capped?

• Advertisement

My epox 9nda3+ Can hit 270.... dno what nforce ultra youre thinking about. Ive seen 9nda3+s hit 330!

Sorry I meant the nforce 4 ultra, Gigabyte board.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

padraigf wrote:

Not 2, it is 4 and not chipsets but more generations. I should know cause I had the original nforce chipset (420 not 415) on my MSI mobo years ago :cool:

Well yeah, but for the inexperienced it's effectively 2. Either a VIA solution or an AMD solution. Didn't wanna inundate the fella with a load of detail if he wasnte even sure what nForce was in the first place.

Advertisement