Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your opinion on linear in games?

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think San Andreas/Vice City is a linear game....? I personally dont think so at all. Because your aim is to get enough respect bla bla bla and progress in the game....yet how you do it is basically up to you...you do not have to do missions 1 - 10 in that exact order, you have the freedom to choose etc...

Would you agree or do you think this is linear?

Or take the fact that you can not drive to another city in the game straight away, would you consider it linear or that fact?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

id say..its ..maybe a bit linear...but overall id say GTA aint the linear type i mean..you finish it and can do what you want anyway..its not like..do this..do that...finish then now you stop

you can play for days without even doing a mission

and on SA you can get to the other places anyway early..may get 4 stars but its all fun ;)

nah not linear gets my vote..id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It all depends on how generally you want to definme linear. Some could say that the very existance of a goal state to the game makes it linear. Any limitation that is overcome by obtaining a certain goal makes it linear, as there is no way of diverging, i.e. overcoming the limitation without reaching the goal.

But thats far too much so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ye I completely agree...

Ya know that game Pirates? Do you think that is like linear in your opinion?

Splintel Cell Pandora Tomorrow is my definition of linear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

GTA = non-linear
    Doom3 = linear

Some simple equations to sum things up :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Pirates is definitely not linear... I'm not sure if it's really better for it though.

Linearity can mean a good story and more variety, the more freedom you get the more samey games can get, unless done right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Linear can be good doom 3 it works well as you believe you are in a mars place type thing, but in HL2 it doesnt for the exact oppisite.

GTA Sa not exactly linear in terms of story but the open endness of the game and the sheer amount of other things to do make it non linear kinda.

It can work for a game and against it depends on the game really.

kdjac

Advertisement