Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on redesign

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, i upgraded my site to 'version 1.5' today.

http://tcal.net/

You can look at the old design here

Whats your impressions?

Colour, layout etc. I feel I've improved on a decent enough original design, - i wanted evolution rather than a new concept. Did a few obvious things like moving the search box to a much more prominent postion. The transition from 2 to 3 column was simply to give more space for features and items. I've gone to a white background for the main column, cause it just seems cleaner and enhances readability.

It's fixed width still, I played around a lot with fluid layout, but didn't want to give up that kind of control.

Tested down to 800x600 (though it produces a horizontal scroll bar, albeit an unnecessary one, i'll fix this soon) and on Firefox and IE6. - I'm especially interested if other browser configs give any problems.

One possibibly controversial element is the javascript powered submit a link - basically just does a show/hide on a div containing that form, but i know some peeps might be annoyed that without js enabled it'll do nothing.

It validates.

all thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nice and nicer :)

A bit too cluttered for me, mainly in the right hand column .. but a bit of separation between blog posts would make it easier to read as well. Also a couple of pixels of left padding on the content area (especially the date at top) would make it look a lot less cluttered. But definately an improvement, and better than a hell of a lot of blogging sites out there! Oh, and I love the Outrun flag guy!! One small thing the FAQ Q7 .. I couldn't find any red X!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

thanks cgarvey.

I very much take the point of it being a bit cluttered, and as you suggested will try and pad it out a bit more in places. At one stage I had lines breaking up the posts but didn't like the way it looked, but I may look at this kind of thing again, or just increasing spacing generally.

Lol, question 7 in the faq: the little red X i was referring to was the X in the browser, as in close the site. :) - though I suppose apple people won't find that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dangerman wrote:
    thanks cgarvey.
    Lol, question 7 in the faq: the little red X i was referring to was the X in the browser, as in close the site. :) - though I suppose apple people won't find that.

LOL, I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

No real comment on the layout change, but personally, I preferred the old colour scheme. I think the solely grey-blue scheme is a lot colder and less friendly. Also, the panel-like design of the 'submit a link' div has me looking for a way to hide it again if I open it and then decide not to submit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

impr0v wrote:
    No real comment on the layout change, but personally, I preferred the old colour scheme. I think the solely grey-blue scheme is a lot colder and less friendly. Also, the panel-like design of the 'submit a link' div has me looking for a way to hide it again if I open it and then decide not to submit anything.

Will add an X or Close to the div to dissapear it again.

I take the point about the colour scheme, the new colours are certainly far more clean and colder than the off light-brown colours used previously. It's a personal thing I guess, but for now I like the cleaner look.

Going to work on making it look a little less cluttered as suggested above and a few extra little niggles with the page.

Cheers for the feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement