Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised Focusser

Options
  • 26-01-2005 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Has anyone come across an accessory that will allow one to control the focus wheel on a telescope without touching it to avoid shake at higher magnifications? I read somewhere of someone MAKING one with a little battery powered motor, and presumable gearing etc - but I am not that practical. He had a little two button pad wired to the device strapped to the boddy of the scope.

It would also be helpful when using a webcam to focus without having to jump from computer to telescope and back.

I have a Celestron NexStar 114GT.

Geoff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah, i heard you can make them from model car stuff.
    You might want to think about that, this site seems to have what
    you want, but it ain't cheap:

http://www.jimsmobile.com/list_search.htm

If you find something cheap and cheerful let me know, have a similar
    problem myself.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Geoffw

Yeah, i heard you can make them from model car stuff.
    You might want to think about that, this site seems to have what
    you want, but it ain't cheap: http://www.jimsmobile.com/list_search.htm

If you find something cheap and cheerful let me know, have a similar
    problem myself.
    hi Martin

You are right they are not cheap, and neither do they do one for my particular scope (NexStar 114GT), but I have found a good description of how to make one on
    Refreshing Views - go to Articles and scroll down for which I have started to assemble the parts. For the servo motor I've opted for a Sail Winch, which I have adapted to rotate a full 360 degrees plus in either direction, which I bought off Ebay - see Sail Winch Servo It will be controlled by a switch (Maplins) and a pack of 4 1.5v batteries.

The major problem I have not yet tackled is linking it to the focus control on the telescope. I am reluctant to start drilling holes in my scope etc.

I'll let you know, here, how I get on.

Geoff

Advertisement