Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Win XP won't start up correctly. Help!

• 26-01-2005 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with a HP notebook running Win XP SP2. Basically, I was using the notebook, I powered it down, then started it up at a later stage. It looks like windows is going to start up correctly - the mouse pointer displays and I can move it with the touch pad. The blue Win XP graphical screen appears as normal, the keyboard responds (Caps,shift etc.). But that's as far as it gets. It just halts there with the mouse pointer on the screen and nothing else. I've tried waiting over an hour, and nothing happens. I've tried all keyboard combinations (ctrl-alt-del etc.)
    I've tried using the reset button on the notebook. I've also tried using the recovery program by booting to the Win XP CD, but this requires an 'Administrator' password. From the time the notebook was bought (brand new) there was never a password required to log on. I've tried leaving blank, 'password' and 'administrator, but no joy.

Has anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas to try?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Did you try start it in Safe mode. Hit F8 or F6 or F10 ..........ah one of them and you will get a boot list. Safe mode will boot up in the min requirements of your system.Run a defrag then and see if that works.

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Nukem wrote:
    Did you try start it in Safe mode. Hit F8 or F6 or F10 ..........ah one of them and you will get a boot list. Safe mode will boot up in the min requirements of your system.Run a defrag then and see if that works.

Nukem

Tried safe mode, actually, tried all possible types of booting. I get exactly the same thing.... :mad:

Cheers,
    DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Plug in an external mouse - usb/ps2 (you should have the ability to do that).

This will test if its hardware ie. you touch pad has gone south...

Peace wrote:
    Plug in an external mouse - usb/ps2 (you should have the ability to do that).

This will test if its hardware ie. you touch pad has gone south...

Ok, I'll try this, but I have already said that the touchpad works fine (can move the mouse with it). Also, there is a button that can be used to disable, enable the touchpad. Having said that, plugging in the serial mouse is not something that I've tried, so I'll give it a shot!

Thanks,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Mmmmmmmm................ interesting. Did you try update anything like hardware in the last few days? Might have a dud driver somewhere. Could you update hardware now and try reboot?

Cant get into the bios :eek: mmmmmmm.............. i dunno?

EDIT: just about to suggest a boot disk when remebered you alreay tried the recovery CD,sorry

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Mmmmmmmm................ interesting. Did you try update anything like hardware in the last few days? Might have a dud driver somewhere. Could you update hardware now and try reboot?

Cant get into the bios :eek: mmmmmmm.............. i dunno?

EDIT: just about to suggest a boot disk when remebered you alreay tried the recovery CD,sorry

I didn't update any hardware at all..... Yes I can get into the BIOS no problem. Any settings in there that I could change?

Thanks for the suggestions folks....any more?

DC.

Hi All,
    Quick update. I tried plugging in the serial mouse - no joy. Has anyone else any suggestions?

Cheers,

Dermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

My appologies, i misread your post to say that it was the mouse that stopped responding... Using a differnent mouse given the current circumstances would be useless!

In this situation i would just format and reinstall.... it will get the laptop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

explorer might be dead/corrupted, use your xp disk to get to recovery console then run sfc.exe its the system file checker it will check windows files and replace broken ones from the cd. run it as sfc.exe /? first to see if there are any switches you want to add for it

edit: oops on reading that again your not getting into windows at all so its probably not explorer, try sfc anyway but it wont help if its a device driver thats kicked the bucket

Advertisement