Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is A Good HSF for Athlon 3000 or 3200 For Overclocking

Options
  • 26-01-2005 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a decent HSF for a friend of mine, he has an Athlon 3200 (i think, or a 3000) and wants to overclock it a bit, looking for one around €30-40.

Any firsthand recommendations??? Needs to be quiet enough.

Thanks for the help guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Do you mean an Athlon 64, or an Athlon XP, if Athlon 64, socket 754, or 939? Either way, Thermalright do the best heatsinks, they dont come with fans tho, also check their site for a list of compatible mobos, the ones with heatpipes are better too (xp120/xp90 I think).

Some links:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10471
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10467
    http://www.jes-computer.de/index.php?cat=191_102&sort=3a&filter_id=161
    http://www.thermalright.com/

Edit: I cant believe how cheap the SLK-948U is on komplett, I paid something like 80 euro (incl fan + shipping) for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thordon wrote:
    Do you mean an Athlon 64, or an Athlon XP, if Athlon 64, socket 754, or 939? Either way, Thermalright do the best heatsinks, they dont come with fans tho, also check their site for a list of compatible mobos, the ones with heatpipes are better too (xp120/xp90 I think).
    Its a Socket A mobo, i only wana spend €40 max

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

For 40 euro, your best bet is probably a Zalman, they come with integrated fans:

http://www.jes-computer.de/index.php?cat=191_102&sort=3a&filter_id=89

Do they include the fans?? noisey?? have you used one before??

Ive haeard a bit about them, heard you can get nice temps anyway which is the main thing. Anyone using them here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If your thinkin about getting a thermalright/Zalman check the manufacturer website for compatability listing. The Zalman isint compatible with the Abit NF7 for instance, one of the most popular choices.

And yea the Thermalright for €13 is insane, there really really good heastsinks.

• Advertisement

Col_Loki wrote:
    If your thinkin about getting a thermalright/Zalman check the manufacturer website for compatability listing. The Zalman isint compatible with the Abit NF7 for instance, one of the most popular choices.

And yea the Thermalright for €13 is insane, there really really good heastsinks.

Yeh id have to buy a mobo to suit the zalman as he is getting a new mobo anyway, plenty of choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

ZP3000's can run very hot even without overclocking, even with a Volcano 11 mine was idling in the mid - late 40's going to late 50's under load. Yes it was properly seated with arctic silver paste and the case was properly vented by the 7 fans in my Xaser III case.

Based on comments on various OC boards and sites, superlocked chips seem to run a bit hotter. Watercooling was the best solution I could find, as air cooling a hot 3000 was a noisey affair.

fenris wrote:
    ZP3000's can run very hot even without overclocking, even with a Volcano 11 mine was idling in the mid - late 40's going to late 50's under load. Yes it was properly seated with arctic silver paste and the case was properly vented by the 7 fans in my Xaser III case.

Based on comments on various OC boards and sites, superlocked chips seem to run a bit hotter. Watercooling was the best solution I could find, as air cooling a hot 3000 was a noisey affair.

well obviosly watercooling is better but not exactly cheap, just looking for a cheap enough hsf for overclocking for a mate of mine

`lol - I tried cheap but it was way to noisey (could be heard downstairs, even when the PC was mounted on 4 inches of aeroboard) and not that cheap either, good HSFs are not exactly pound shop items!

It just that buying the right stuff first will always be cheaper than buying the wrong stuff followed by the right stuff!

Find out what his idle and load diode temps are before you go any further (MBM5 is a good utility for this) if he is idleing in the late 40's and mid to late 50's under load with stock cooling, then a HSF amy not be enough.

Most importantly if he has a superlocked 3000 or 3200 he will end up putting a lot of effort in, for not a lot of useful overclocking, rendering all the above moot!

fenris wrote:
    `lol - I tried cheap but it was way to noisey (could be heard downstairs, even when the PC was mounted on 4 inches of aeroboard) and not that cheap either, good HSFs are not exactly pound shop items!

It just that buying the right stuff first will always be cheaper than buying the wrong stuff followed by the right stuff!

Find out what his idle and load diode temps are before you go any further (MBM5 is a good utility for this) if he is idleing in the late 40's and mid to late 50's under load with stock cooling, then a HSF amy not be enough.

Most importantly if he has a superlocked 3000 or 3200 he will end up putting a lot of effort in, for not a lot of useful overclocking, rendering all the above moot!

Im just looking for a good hsf for 30-40 euros for overclocking thats all, i just want to hear from people on what they have used and how they would rate what they have used

• Advertisement

Np prob,

I thought that was what I posted!

If you want you can chance my old Volcano 11, just sitting there gathering oxide at the moment!

fenris wrote:
    Np prob,

I thought that was what I posted!

If you want you can chance my old Volcano 11, just sitting there gathering oxide at the moment!

wats that like??? noisey??? good temps???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

3000\3200 dont oc too well no matter wat the temps the 2600 and downward oc better

I'v just ordered a NF7-S2 and a ZALMAN7000 but will these two be incompatible?

very noisey when going full tilt, but cooling was sufficient, idled mid to late 40's, late 50's when playing palentside for way too many hours. Speed is adjustable if you have a controller. This was in a ThermalTake Xaser III with 7 fans.

Thanks the nice Innovatek watercooling kit my temps are now idle - 23-25c, load temps have not crossed 30c yet!

you are welcome to the Volcano 11 or the Glacial Tech silent Breeze 462 II (quieter but little better than stock cooling) that it replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

3000\3200 dont oc too well no matter wat the temps the 2600 and downward oc better

I'v just ordered a NF7-S2 and a ZALMAN7000 but will these two be incompatible?

Completely

Better change that order dude.

fenris wrote:
    very noisey when going full tilt, but cooling was sufficient, idled mid to late 40's, late 50's when playing palentside for way too many hours. Speed is adjustable if you have a controller. This was in a ThermalTake Xaser III with 7 fans.

Thanks the nice Innovatek watercooling kit my temps are now idle - 23-25c, load temps have not crossed 30c yet!

you are welcome to the Volcano 11 or the Glacial Tech silent Breeze 462 II (quieter but little better than stock cooling) that it replaced.

where are you living??? How much for them???

Living in Bray, working in Sandyford.

free to a good home !

fenris wrote:
    Living in Bray, working in Sandyford.

free to a good home !

ouch bray and sandyford, il have to leave it , i live in rathmines and work in clontarf, LOL

Completely

Better change that order dude.

Arrived today :rolleyes:

That list shows the NF7-S not the S2 version. Might they have altered it for my version?(fingers crossed in desperation) :D

Arrived today :rolleyes:

That list shows the NF7-S not the S2 version. Might they have altered it for my version?(fingers crossed in desperation) :D

Hopefully it works so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I have an NF7 and afaik the reason the super flower coolers wont fit the board is because the cpu socket is so close to the edge of the board, the cooler is likely to foul the power supply in both the ATX cases I've had the board in. So I think you are hoping against hope that a minor revision of the board will have something as drastic as the cpu socket location changed.

Then again maybe it needs mounting holes that dont exist on the NF7 in which case you might be in luck.

But I dont spose you're risking much. Will prolly be able to get a good price for the cooler on here....especially if you dont use it.

No such luck :rolleyes:

Well just gonna send it back an gat a 939 boardinstead :D

Advertisement