Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless FM Transmitter

• 26-01-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi -

Has anyone used the wireless FM transmitter with an iRiver (or any other HD MP3 player for that matter) in Ireland.

Does it work and is the quality up to scratch

Obviously I would love to be able to play my iRiver in my car.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

It is illegal to use them in Ireland.

However a 'friend' of mine has used one
    quite successfully on his Ipod mini.

As he says himself:
    "When a frequency such as 88.5 [-> RTE radio 1]
    is selected the unit needs to be right beside the radio
    to override the signal, but when it does the quality is
    grand.

When a unused frequency is used the distance can be
    3 or 4 metres quite happily, with grand quality."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 firebug

I dont believe they are illegal in Ireland since their rand is only about 50 feet, I have one that I use with my creative mp3 player and it works a charm, even from another room in the house the reception is A1. I am actually living in america, from Ireland and could get you one if you liked, it would only cost about 40 euro or so.

Regards
    Kevin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that they are illegal in Ireland as your effectively being a pirate radio station. I dont think that it matters how powerfull the transmitter is, just that your transmitting.
    But in saying that, it would be virtually impossible for the powers that be to catch you for using one as they would have to be in your car with you inorder to notice you using it. It does mean that you cannot buy them here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Thanks for the feedback...

Any recommeded suppliers/models for use in this country

Rediculous, btw, that its illegal as its obviously for personnel use in the car/...

Thks,
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

For you the iRiver Fm transmitter would be best
    Amazon Link

You can't buy it in Europe though :(
    Need to find a way of getting it from the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Mare - Why is this not available in Europe ?
    Typical....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Think its because of the legality issues.
    They just don't want any hassle so only sell it in the US

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have Tunecast II. Works great. I was a bit disapointed with it at first but then I figured out if you max out the vol on the mp3 player and then control the vol from the stereo it works much better and you get a much cleaner signal (less of the interference is amplafied)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

I got a Griffin iTrip (for the iPod) from the states on this web site: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - no problems.

As for quality - I've used it in two different cars with success - but the car with the better quality radio performed best when listening to the iPod - so a newer radio/car would probably give you better quality sound.

As for the legality of same, I gather these devices were in fact on sale in Ireland when they came out first but the fact that they are no longer on sale points to some intervention by ComReg. However as an earlier poster suggested, there's nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They are compleatly illeagle here but they will never catch you with one. ComReg came down hard on anyone selling them and amazon.co.uk took them off their site as they are illeagle in the UK as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

They are illegal but work ok. I made my own and they work great. Free too as i got the r,c,l and transistors from college. Dead handy. How much are itrips? E50 - fuk that...

Advertisement