Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG824M ADSL Router Disconnections

• 26-01-2005 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Folks,

I have a Netgear DG824M ADSL Router, which has just started misbehaving after months of reliable service. In the last 2 weeks it has taken to randomly disconnecting the ADSL connection and then refusing to reconnect for hours at a time. When it happens, the link light will flash amber to indicate that it is trying to connect, then it will go green for about 10-20 seconds and then go out again, then the cycle repeats. Sometimes it will get as far as negotiating its IP and DNS settings, before the line drops again.

I initially suspected a line fault, but Eircom have given the line a thumbs up. I borrowed a Zyxel 623R-T1 router which I also cannot get to connect, probably for a different reason, but which has better line diagnostics than the Netgear. The noise margins reported by the Zyxel seem fine and the loopback tests seem to pass, no problem.

I know that Eircom has been upgrading equipment in various exchanges recently and I'm wondering if what I am seeing is down to a new equipment incompatibility of some sort.

Any other DG824M users out there seeing anything similar?

For the record, my ADSL is supplied by Netsource and I'm based in Swords.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any chance of trying your router on someone else's connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

Well I could, but the intermittent and random nature of the problem means that I'd have to wait for quite a while before I could conclude anything, which is less than ideal.

I was hoping that other folks on these boards could point the way to a wider pattern. My connection had been very reliable for about a year. I counted on one hand the number of disconnects that I had in that time. I've had more than that number in the last week and yet there appears to be nothing wrong with the line. Other parts of the router such as the wireless and switch continue to function flawlessly, so no one could blame me for having suspicions that something external to the router and the line is to blame.

Has anbody else seen a sudden disimprovement in a previously working ADSL connection which turned out to be something other than the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

I have the same router and on Netsource.
    I haven't had any major disconnection problems for almost a year and a half... until this morning.

When I first tried to go online this morning at about 11:40am, it wouldn't connect. It took about an hour to finally go through (actually just as I picked up the phone to ring netsource). It went on and off again a couple of times after that, but now seems to be fine.

The support page says they are going maintenance in various exchanges this week, but in the early hours of the morning, and my exchange isn't listed yet.
    But then I remember having similar problems, during the day, another time they did this sort of maintenance cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm using that router with Clicksilver. A few problems with the wireless connection dropping out all right, but not the really the internet connection.

I do notice that when I'm downloading from lots of different sources in different programs (for example, many files in both eMule and BitTorrent), the connection drops, probably because there are too many connections other computers (hundreds).

Are you connecting over wireless or network cable? Do you have the latest firmware from netgear.com? One of the newer firmware fixed connection problems I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have the router with IBB. I tried the wireless but whenever I try to connect to the router, the router just freezes. Wired connection works really well apart from once a month it reboots itself :D
    I'd also suggest getting a new firmware. My old Netgear router had the same problems as yours but after 1-2 it start working fine again and never gave me any more problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

The Netgear has the latest firmware alright.

Advertisement