Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Requirements for Full License test!

Options
  • 26-01-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    seems there will be new requirements for Full License test:

You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, (h) steering, (i) brakes, (j) horn.

Access to some of the items listed above will require you to open the bonnet and to close it securely.

Now... how do I do all of the above????? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the horn? is that a trick question?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kbannon wrote:
    the horn? is that a trick question?
    There is no limit to human dumbness. It's a perfect trick question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

At long last. If this is true it is the best piece of common sense to come from the Dept of the Enviro in a long time. Knowing how your car works is the first step toward making better drivers. Too many drivers can't separate what they do to make their car move from what they do when playing Colin McRae Rally on their Playstation.

Learning to drive a car, and becoming a good driver are two different things and the sooner it is mandatory to learn extra skills, the sooner our roads become safer.

Bring in retests every four years I say. NCT the drivers, not the cars...

'c

They're also overhauling the bike test.

Similar examinations of your technical ability, but they're also going to start using two-way radio to conduct a proper bike test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

And i think they should get rid of the provisional licence to.
    I passed my test with just lessons and the odd spin in mam's car so why should other not be able to do it? They've not got provisional driver on the continent
    I know a hand full of people with a provisional who can only just about can drive.
    Anyone technically mind shouldnt have to much trouble with them new requirements for the test.

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

jozi wrote:
    And i think they should get rid of the provisional licence to.
    I passed my test with just lessons and the odd spin in mam's car so why should other not be able to do it?

But you need a provisional to get lessons or to drive anyone's car. At least you now have to do a written test to get the provisional before you can even step into a car to learn. This will ensure learners have the basic concept before sitting behind the wheel.

Surely thats a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Four years might be a bit too frequent, but it's definitely needed. The drivers on our roads are in a lot worse condition than the machinery they are intermittently in control of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jozi wrote:
    the odd spin in mam's car
    `

so you would have driven your mam's car how ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 new user

James_M wrote:
    But you need a provisional to get lessons or to drive anyone's car. At least you now have to do a written test to get the provisional before you can even step into a car to learn. This will ensure learners have the basic concept before sitting behind the wheel.

Surely thats a good thing?

I understand that in many European countries you only get a learner's permit when you've passed a basic assessment after a certain number of hours training from a _properly qualified_ instructor.
    That's better than our farcical system.

Have accident rates fallen since the NCT was introduced? Don't think so. Rates have stayed the same because the standard of driving is essentially still as bad. Test the drivers not the cars, as interceptor said.

I had a provisional like everyone else.

In holland you can take lessons before you 18 for your driving exam but thats the only time you can without a licence.

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Learning to drive a car, and becoming a good driver are two different things and the sooner it is mandatory to learn extra skills, the sooner our roads become safer.

'c

How about being given the option of attending driving school for X (eg 4 or 8) hours OR points.

From the discussions here, it is becoming obvious hitting someone with a ticket is not doing anything to altering driving habits as some are unaware of their habits and how they manifest themselves when driving.

AMurphy wrote:
    How about being given the option of attending driving school for X (eg 4 or 8) hours OR points.
    Or you could just not give them a licence until they've done the lessons.

You cannot penalise anyone for *not* doing something they were previously not required to do (that is, under the terms of current licences, you cannot impose any further requirements to hold that licence, you can only change it for new licences). I'm pretty sure it would be found unconstitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jozi wrote:
    In holland you can take lessons before you 18 for your driving exam but thats the only time you can without a licence

Same in most/all other countries on the continent. Note that you can only drive in a dual control learning vehicle with a fully qualified instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh getting rid of the provisional would be a good idea,
    Irelands the only place you can FAIL your driving test and still drive away from it.....
    Some sort of Drivers Ed course in secondary school would be handy too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree, people should be first issued with a permit and only AFTER doing a required number of hours with a driving instructor (ideally not on a public road, e.g. Mondello Track instead) should they then be issued with a provisional licence.

Case in point -

One night last week a girl (miles from home, late at night) could not turn her car in a (large!) gateway, and asked me to do it for her, which I did.

One of her friend in the car said it was her first day driving!!! :eek:

Suffice to say that she should not have been on the road :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Silvera wrote:
    I agree, people should be first issued with a permit and only AFTER doing a required number of hours with a driving instructor (ideally not on a public road, e.g. Mondello Track instead) should they then be issued with a provisional licence.

Case in point -

One night last week a girl (miles from home, late at night) could not turn her car in a (large!) gateway, and asked me to do it for her, which I did.

not denying that crap drivers like your one should be forced off the road but I don't think using a track is ideal for training novice drivers as it instantly generates the racing mentality

Silvera wrote:

Case in point -

I know 2 people like that to, girls coincidentlly (i dont know any fellas with a provisional and maybe they do take driving lessons).
    They where both a terror one the raod, how they both didnt cause an accident yet i dont know :confused:
    Im not saying woman cant drive btw, my mother is an exelent driver and im sure there are others

Jozi

kbannon wrote:
    not denying that crap drivers like your one should be forced off the road but I don't think using a track is ideal for training novice drivers as it instantly generates the racing mentality

It's better than a novice driver lurching along public roads frustrating other drivers (i.e. for the first few lessons WITH a driving instructor - who will keep their speed down)

In an ideal world, Ireland would have a public track(s) - purpose built - for learner drivers, as is the case in Germany, etc.

.........incidentially, my first car lessons were off road - in a field !
    (although I did drive a vintage tractor from when I was 12 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anywhere else in Europe where you have to wait 14 months for a driving test (like in Waterford) ?

They means people paying two years insurance before they get a chance to prove themselves... no matter how many lessons they get...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I was supposed to have my full a1 bike test in 3 weeks but i got a letter during the week saying it was cancelled because of "unforseen circumstances" or something like that.. No other explanition was given, could this be due to the new bike test that their supposodely implementing??

Advertisement