Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip down memory lane...

• 26-01-2005 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey folks,

rember these sweets!!!

wopa (spearmint and kola) 5p!!

stinger and refresher bars

gobstoppers

nerds

fruit salad, blackjacks

vice veras!!

macroon, mint crisp ( seen them in town recently actually)

desperate dan bars...tasted great but looked like they fell on the ground :)

can you think of any more???

rember when £1 used to get u can of coke crisps and a bar.... at least i think it did

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Oh yeah, Nerds were my favourite! They just had so many types, and also the dweebs too. What about roy of the rover bars. 10p. Thats back when money bought you stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wham and Roy of the Rovers, very sticky bars. Sticky in ur teeth and the wrappers were difficult to get off fully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Hey folks,

rember these sweets!!!

wopa (spearmint and kola) 5p!!

wopas!! ha ha - they were the business - great value at 5p!

Remember the little bags of crisps for 5p?? I think the A-Team were on the packs - a different flavour for each member of the A-Team.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The stinger and refresher bars are still around. Not as nice or as big as I remember them though. Wham bars rocked too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

anyone remember rubble gum ? useta love that stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

Nerds! I loved those things. Some of the flavours were really sour but it made them extra specially yummy. Also a huge roy the rover fan, but they do seem to have gotten smaller and less sour in recent years.

wopas!! ha ha - they were the business - great value at 5p!

Remember the little bags of crisps for 5p?? I think the A-Team were on the packs - a different flavour for each member of the A-Team.

i do remember those a-team crisps :) i think Mr.T was some sort of a bacon flavour, they were too small though, tiny bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

Anyone remember packets of Space Dust? If you drank a can of coke after eating a whole packet of it, you were hyper for a week afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Dan bars are still around too, as are the fruit salad sweets. Remember those apple ones, mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

what were the really bitter ones called there was lemon or apple flavor cost 2p? they were great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Peggys Legs
    Also, are Curly Wurlys still around?

shelly04, i think you mean high sours :) i remember the guys who couldnt stand the sourness(?) used to run them under a tap for a while to get the sour off, losers! :)

FatherTed, curly wurlys are still around but smaller :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

Ruu wrote:
    shelly04, i think you mean high sours :) i remember the guys who couldnt stand the sourness(?) used to run them under a tap for a while to get the sour off, losers! :)

FatherTed, curly wurlys are still around but smaller :(
    they were great... big curley wurlys in selection boxes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I was just thinking about Woopa bars the other day! They used to have facts on them like: The tallest land mammal is the giraffe. :D

For £1 you could buy loads of crap! You spent 50p on a can maybe 10-20p on crisps and then buy loads of sticky bars and kola lollies with the rest....good times!

I was very upset one summer when HB put up the price of Sparklers to 12p! It threw out all my other calculations as no other bars or sweets at the time had prices that weren't a multiple of 5p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Hersheys chocolate kisses! I found them a while ago in the local spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Woppas were great, but Big Times were the biz, stick em in the fridge for a while and just suck on them for the day. JR lollies were nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

if you ate to many high sours (especially the apple ones) your tongue went raw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Postman Pats.
    Black Jacks,
    Fizz Bombs,
    Golfball chewing gum,
    Bazooka Joe,
    Eating Paper,
    Flying Saucers,
    Double Dips,
    Half penny toffees/chews,
    Fizzle Sticks,
    Cream Pies,
    Snow Balls,
    Fish 'n' Chips (white choc)
    White Choc Mice (with pink stuff in the middle)
    Kola Kubes,
    Milk Teeth (drool....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Jeanie

does anyone remember calipsos? they were like macaroons, but a little bit nicer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭minnie_mouse

I was just thinking about Woopa bars the other day! They used to have facts on them like: The tallest land mammal is the giraffe. :D

For £1 you could buy loads of crap! You spent 50p on a can maybe 10-20p on crisps and then buy loads of sticky bars and kola lollies with the rest....good times!

I was very upset one summer when HB put up the price of Sparklers to 12p! It threw out all my other calculations as no other bars or sweets at the time had prices that weren't a multiple of 5p.
    ........LOL :D

They were the gud aul days, rember those things like sparklers milka? i think

Rember freeky feet, fat frogs wibbly wobbly wonder tho i think they made a come back

anyone rember 54321's a choc bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah cola woppa's. They were sexual. Pity they don't sell them anymore.

Yeah, I remember being devastated when the shop across the road from my primary school...put up the price of the biggest cola 'coolpops' (Mr Freeze's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wow...... High Sours!! Those things were lethal!!
    The lemon ones... each individually wrapped.
    Your whole mouth would nearly have a fit if you rolled on of those around your tongue.
    It was a few seconds of intense sourness.. then the sweet hard boilded candy centre came though.
    Dont think there's anything like them today.... unless, perhaps, sucking on a lemon dishwashing tab (dont try kids!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had these sweets a few years ago, like giant jawbreakers, but the middle was the most intensly sour powder ever. Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

whiskeyman wrote:
    wow...... High Sours!! Those things were lethal!!
    The lemon ones... each individually wrapped.
    Your whole mouth would nearly have a fit if you rolled on of those around your tongue.
    It was a few seconds of intense sourness.. then the sweet hard boilded candy centre came though.
    Dont think there's anything like them today.... unless, perhaps, sucking on a lemon dishwashing tab (dont try kids!!)

There is something quite similar. There called toxic waste and about 14 individually wrapped ones come in a little barrel. The most lethal flavour is atomic lemon and if you have more than three in a row you will get cuts on your tongue. My mouth is stinging just thinking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ahh the gud aul days IR£1 pound and you had enough to stuff your face for at least an hour, me and my class buddies would take it in turns to sneak off through the trees from school run down to the "sweet shop" which was being kept going by kids pocket money. we'd all distract the headmaster to make sure he woudn't miss the brave volunteer, wopa bars, cheap homestead cola at 25p although slightly bitter and usually warm quenched our thirst, a feed of wopa bars, penny sweets, which were meticusoly counted out 1 by 1, and chomp bars a bargain at 5p were a choclaty toffee mix that was sure to keep the tooth fairy in buisness, (more money for sweets ) :) And our beloved chewing gum which we chewed in class despite the threat of 100 lines if caught. Our comrades were always ready with a football to boot out over the fence, incase the volunteer was caught, as we often were. (Getting a football was not an offence) and it often saved a worthy comrade from a weeks "being Kept in" , the stash was hidden until the last small lunch break and the stash always tasted better when it was brought in under his nose.

Ahh the innocenece of it all,

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

[PHP][QUOTE=minnie_mouse]........LOL :D

They were the gud aul days, rember those things like sparklers milka? i think

Rember freeky feet, fat frogs wibbly wobbly wonder tho i think they made a come back

anyone rember 54321's a choc bar[/QUOTE][/PHP]

Yep, oh my god those ice-pops. remember 'thataway' icepop it was red with the hand pointing like a gun.

What about He-man bars with caramel or the carebear bars with orange fondant.

also 10p drinks called wigwams or toptops (I think that's their name).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

anyone remember astros?! they were like big spherical smarties with biscuit in the middle? in a purple box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

also 10p drinks called wigwams or toptops (I think that's their name).

Think they were called TipTops. Really watered down stuff. Like Smack Cola.

Back in the days when everyone in Ireland was poor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I loved the smiley bars [like an orange chomp] ... chocolately orange goodness NYOM

Does anyone remember a bar similar to the wham bar, but green with loads of pink bits stuck in it? I remember being told that they were probably the worst bar you could eat 'cause it had E123 in it plus many others ... Damn they were good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

were they called space bars ?

used to be addicted to them, chomps, blackjacks and loop-the-loop lollies

Advertisement