Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wat measures whould be taken to minimise risk with mobile phones?

• 26-01-2005 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

A few years ago, it was allover the press, the dangers of mobile phones,now theres no tlka bout it
    does anyone no of any sites informing us of the REAL dangers of these devices

also i need to no wat measures should be taken to minimise exposure?
    and also does levels of radiation vary with network or handset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

personnally i dont think theres any danger but if your worried then you should minimise the amount of time you spend on calls and send text messages instead if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

toiletduck wrote:
    personnally i dont think theres any danger but if your worried then you should minimise the amount of time you spend on calls and send text messages instead if possible
    hav u got a background in medecine or electronics not being smart or anything, can you please elaborate on your answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Well you've a load of microwaves going straight into your head, so it is prob a bit dangerous. No one really knows yet though what the level of risk is, so they can't elaborate further on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

a bit convenient of them really isnt it
    why isnt there an minimum age on the use of mobile phones, there should be
    i think is disgraceful when you see 5 year old or watever talkin to daddy for about 10 minutes on a mobile or summit
    there brains are only forming at tat age

blondie83 wrote:
    Well you've a load of microwaves going straight into your head, so it is prob a bit dangerous. No one really knows yet though what the level of risk is, so they can't elaborate further on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah it is! I think one thing all the experts are fairly decided on though is that children under the age of eight should not use mobile phones at all, and children under the age of 12 shouldn't use them for "prolonged periods2 whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

synchro wrote:
    hav u got a background in medecine or electronics not being smart or anything, can you please elaborate on your answer
    Unless you are from planet Zog, you'd know that most of the worries about mobile phones are about brain tumours etc. Holding a UHF/microwave transmitter as close to your brain as is physically possible is bad enough but you could get stuck on the call and it might drag on for a while.

Texting means that the transmitter is only activated for a very brief time when you send the message (not when you are typing it) and it happens at arms length from your brain (unless you are actually from Zog and have very different anatomy).

Devices that supposedly shield you from the radiation of your mobile phone are pure snake oil. Mobiles use the lowest power possible to conserve battery life. If the device limits the signal the mobile with ramp up the power to compensate and may actually increase your rf radiation dose.

Thin foil hats are actually very effective in blocking radiation from other peoples mobile phones, but be very careful not to look up as then the hat would behave like a satellite dish and focus the radiation comming in through your chin onto the hypothalamous, or maybe not.

synchro wrote:
    im a 4th year electronic engineering student. Theres a lot of studies that say its safe and a lot which say its not. As i said i believe it isnt but could be proved wrong. They probably wont know the long term risk (if any) for another few decades.

Devices that supposedly shield you from the radiation of your mobile phone are pure snake oil
    ditto. i think its appaling that these companies are playing on peoples fears selling products which at best could be called placebos

Advertisement