Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian, Young Driver, and previous accidents

Options
  • 26-01-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Recent cold weather and a serious bout of illness had me reconsidering the bike. A car would be nice for warmness reasons and the music listening. Though it's not something I'll probably do for at leats 6 months, if at all.

Here's the situation:
    For the last 3 years or so, I've been on a bike. Have a full car licence for 3.5 years. 4 years ago, I had a claim against me (in the car). I'm 22.

So what would the insurers think of me?

For certain reasons I can't/won't go to Quinn Direct, so I've been looking at Hibernian. I'm guessing that they'll only insure me if I do the ignition course, since I have no NCB for a car. Most of Hibernian's website says that they only ask for any accidents in the last 3 years (this is why it suits me), but in my case (no current insurer), I must have no "at fault" accidents, period, if I want to do the ignition course.
    So I'm guessing that if I ring up, they'll say I must do the ignition course, and when I try to book the ignition course they'll say, "Sorry Bud, you have a claim against you". So I can't get insurance from them.

All other insurers will ignore or rape me because of the previous accident.

So what's the position here? Am I right in thinking that insurers can only legally ask about accidents in the last 5 years? That is, if I wait another year, I can happily proclaim that no, I've no previous accidents, and head off on the ignition course?

Or will Hibernian insure me at all without the ignition course?

Any input is much appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

iirc they ask if you've had any claims in the last 3 years so you should be ok. they were quite happy for me not to do the ignition course cos i'd 4 years as a named driver on a hibernian ploicy but i got the insurance cheaper through one direct which is underwritten by hibernian and had to do the test

Advertisement