Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

continous racing questions

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Morgans wrote:
    Theatreworld
    Royal Gait
    Krebensis
    Flakey Dove
    Hors La Loi
    Collier Bay
    Sea Pigeon
    See You Then
    Oh So Risky
    Nomadic Way

placed in four consecutive festivals....
    I think WIllie Wumpkins did it around 1980 - won three Coral Golden Hurdle finals but not sure.

Top marks..well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Morgans wrote:
    Which horse carried out the favourite See More Business when pulling up in the Gold Cup?

that was cyborgo wasn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Morgans

Correct Robin1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Name the last entire to win the Champion Hurdle? What Group 1 race on the flat did he place in?

By the way, the answer to one of my previous questions (the 98-rated hurdler who won Irish flat Group 1) was Cezanne

He won the Irish Champion Stakes for Godolphin before setting off on a spectacularly unsucessful National Hunt career. Sandwiched between this was a spin as an infertile stallion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Robin1982 wrote:
    Name the last entire to win the Champion Hurdle? What Group 1 race on the flat did he place in?
    Alderbrook?
    Don't know about the Group 1 though.
    Robin1982 wrote:
    By the way, the answer to one of my previous questions (the 98-rated hurdler who won Irish flat Group 1) was Cezanne
    Aahhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Morgans wrote:
    placed in four consecutive festivals....
    I think WIllie Wumpkins did it around 1980 - won three Coral Golden Hurdle finals but not sure.

i dunno about that, my answer was florida pearl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Healio wrote:
    i dunno about that, my answer was florida pearl.
    I thought your question might have meant placing without winning in four consecutive festivals. I couldn't think of an answer for that but if winning is allowed then you can add the likes of Best Mate, Istabraq, Arkle and Golden Miller to the list. Probably a few more too.

Yeah sorry i should have made it more clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tiedcottage

Here's some new questions, sorry if there's any repeats, just joined...

1 Who is the only horse to win the same Grade 1 Chase twice in
    the same calendar year?

2 Which horse of the last twenty years had the dubious distinction of not only running in the Champion Hurdle, Gold Cup and Grand National, but falling in all three.

3 Who was the last horse to run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup having won a race earlier on at the same festival.

4 Who was the last French trained horse to run in the Champion Hurdle who wasn't trained by Francois Doumen?

5 The Cheltenham Gold Cup is run over 22 fences, but in which two consecutive years did the winners jump less than 22?

6 Which winner of a Cheltenham Festival race beat into the places future winners of the Champion Hurdle, Gold Cup and Grand National.

7 Who was the last 13 year old to be placed in the Champion Chase?

8 Which two horses have run in the most grand nationals since the war?

9 In the void national of 1993, seven horses completed, who were they?

10 Which horse ran at nine consecutive festivals in the last twenty years.

11 Which horse of the last 25 years won one of the novice events (over hurdles or fences) at the festival at his second attempt as a second season novice.

12 Whose course record did Red Rum and Crisp annihilate in the 1973 Grand National?

13 Who was the last 14 year old to run in the Gold Cup?

14 Where did Large Action and the ill-fated French Holly win their only races over fences?

15 Who is the only horse to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup, the King George, the Martell Cup and the Pillar Chase?

good questions

1. One Man - KG abandoned and run at Sandown in January. Might be the right answer?
    2. Black Humour
    4. Marlay River?
    7. Kyoto
    8. Wynburgh? and West Tip?
    9. Esha Ness, Cahervillahow and THe committee are three of the seven
    10. Pragada
    12. Golden Miller
    13. Mac Vidi?
    14. Wetherby
    15. See More Business

• Advertisement

Not bad at all, Morgans.

Quite right for questions 1, 2, 4, 8, correct with three of the seven on question 9,

you may be right about Pragada on question 10 (who ran in the stayers and old coral final more times than I care to remember) I'll have to rack my braisn about that one, but I was thinking about another (to give a clue three of those nine cheltenham races were in the Gold Cup, and it wasn't Go Ballistic, who ran at 8 festivals)

Right on question 12 and 15 and perhaps should have worded question 14 better as it refers to two courses not one (right for French Holly at Wetherby, Large Action was somewhere else).

Only wrong about a couple, Kyoto was a 7 yr old when 3rd in 1985 and Mac Vidi was actually 15 when third in 1980, with 13 year old Approaching fourth.

Pragada is wrong. Checked it up. 8 consecutive festivals for him.

Any clues on the questions outstanding.

OK, let's think

3 The horse in question never raced in another race at the Festival after that Gold Cup and prev ran in two Champion Hurdles finishing in the first six on both occasions.

5 This is one I actually only realised watching the two races again the other night. The clue I'll give is that the second year it was due to a fatality on the first circuit at the fence between the two ditches.

6 The horse in question remarkably didn't run again at the Festival for another six years.

7 He once suffered the same fate as this year's Murphy's (or whatever it's called now) Gold Cup winner Celestial Gold in last year's National Hunt Chase in the then Mackeson Gold Cup, caught up the run in.

9 Really a question you know or don't, three of the first four have been named, the fourth was Romany King and one of the three behind them had also finished in the first three in the race before.

10 Believe it or not he's in the answer to three questions in this quiz, quite by chance, he ran from the age of 6-14.

11 He was fatally killed at the festival three years after his success.

13 Considering it's me, who's it likely to be?

14 Just missing Large Action's chase course, you'll probably get it in time. It was a left handed track.

The others you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

10:willie wumpkins ?
    large action -newbury ?

Large actions course was worcester or uttoxeter. Dont want to check RP for answer.
    13 Tied Cottage
    11 only guessing really here, but I'll go with A Kinsman.

I'm guessing that the fatal fall was that of Lanzarote (1975 i think) so the answer might be 1975 and 1976) and that Half Free was the horse caught in the Makeson, but I wouldnt be confident in the answers.

Great questions but they've got the better of me.

10 isn't Willie Wumpkins, I think he missed a couple in there early on, but did go on till a ripe old age. A Kinsman not right for no 11. We seem to have more interest from wishywashy so I'll hold back just yet on all bar two. The two years when less than 22 fences were jumped were actually less than a decade ago, 1995 and 1996. In 1996 Monsieur le Cure was tragically killed ont he first circuit and so the fence was bypassed. The previous year, if youc ast your mind back, the home straight on the new course was considered unraceable, so they moved the track specially to finish with the last fence of the old course, rather than the last two of the new. That meant they lost three fences in total and only 19 were jumped. You can see Master Oats jumping the last of the Old Course now, can't you?

As for question 7, the last 13 year old to be placed in the Champion Chase was old Artifice in 1984, behind Badsworth Boy and Little Bay. I can't remember who caught him in the Mackeson, might have been Fifty Dollars More, but I was only about 11 at the time.

Quite right Morgans, on no 13. I had to have Tied Cottage in there somewhere. I suppose I should justify my naming myself after him, but he surely was the unluckiest horse in Gold Cup history. In 1976 he romped away with the sun alliance, then they ridiculously try to wait in behind with him in 1977 and he gets touched off by Davy Lad, bypasses 1978 because being run in April it clashed with the National in which he fell at Bechers, then to me would have won in 1979 but for toppling over at the last (Alverton upsides but under serious pressure), then wins in 1980 only to be cruelly robbed months later on the technicality. Then comes back at 13 and leads them a merry dance until falling out in the country, returns at 14 and leads them until the home bend, and then returns at 15 and lead the foxhunters until the home bend. My heart just went out to him.

I'll put the other answers out tomorrow night.

OK, here’s the answers.

1 One Man, quite right.
    2 Black Humour, spot on
    3 Boreen Prince, won the Arkle in 85 then placed sixth in Gold Cup two days later.4 Marley River, indeed.
    5 1995 and 1996, as given before.
    6 Sabin du Loir, won the 1983 Sun Alliance Novices Hurdle beating Dawn
    Run and West Tip into the places. Then injured for so long didn’t appear
    Again until Arkle in 1989.
    7 Artifice, as given.
    8 Wyndurgh and West Tip, as given.
    9 The full finishers were Esha Ness, Cahervillahow, Romany King, The Committee, Givus a Buck, On the Other Hand and Laura’s Beau
    10 West Tip, again, third in SA Nov Hurdle in 1983, unplaced in SA Chase in 84, won Ritz Chase in 85, unplaced in same in 86, 4th in Gold Cup 87, unplaced in Gold Cup 88, 5th (remounted) in Gold Cup 89, 3rd in Foxhunters in 90, unplaced in same in 91 aged 14.
    11 Ten Plus won the Sun Alliance Hurdle in 86 having been unplaced in 85 behind Asir. Killed in Gold Cup in 89.12 Golden Miller, of course spot on.
    13 Tied Cottage, quite right.
    14 Large Action was indeed Uttoxeter, and French Holly as listed Wetherby,
    15 See More Business, quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

great questions tiedcottage :) .

here's one just to keep the pot bubbling

name the only filly (if she's still not alone she was the first)to ever win the irish 1000 gns at the curragh on her debut.

for a bonus point who was the jockey and trainer

A few new ones to think about. Not quite as tricky as the last lot.

See More Business ran in five consecutive Gild Cups, 98-00 and 02-03, with foot and mouth preventing six. Who was the last horse before that to run in five?

Who was the last Champion Hurdle winner to run in the Gold Cup?

And what horse was the last 14 year old to run in the National?

One more for luck, which horse was placed in the first three a Grade 1 contest at the Cheltenham Festival for five consecutive years without winning?

• Advertisement

Celtic Shot was the last Champion Hurdle winner to run in the Gold Cup.

14yo in the national - merry people??

Oh, I knew Celtic Shot would be mentioned, but it's wrong. Beech Road ran in 1995 aged 13 and was seventh.

Merry People didn't make it at 14. The last 14 year old was Into the Red who pulled up at halfway in 1998. Before that I think there was Smartside in the late eighties and Go Pontinental in 1974.

And the horse before SMB to run in five gold cups was Wayward Lad

3rd in 83, PU in 84, unplaced in 85, 2nd in 86, 5th in 87.

I''ll leave the extra question about five places until later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

One more for luck, which horse was placed in the first three a Grade 1 contest at the Cheltenham Festival for five consecutive years without winning?

I'm thinking theatreworld

How many jockeys competitevly rode istabraq during his career?
    How many can you name?

Nope, Theatreworld was three times second in the champion, but nothing either side of that, but I think he was the only horse to be 3 times secon din the champion, several had been second twice (most recently Oh So Risky).

Just another one to mull over.

Jim Bolger trained three horses to be placed in teh Epsom Derby in the 1990s, Can you name them?

Advertisement