Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

its ridiculous...

• 26-01-2005 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

is it just me or is it ridiculous ... the quincentennial bridge ... and the spelling of it .. but whats more ...

they've now spent a fortune on creating road signs ... have a look at the road signs going over the bridge ... I mean 50km/hour .. grand .. but do you see the size of those signs and the regularity of them ... is it just me or could 1 sign at either side have sufficed ? but at least make it legible ... while you're trying to read the signs speeding by ... WHACK there goes another student...

... how long before they make stairs / a ramp for students to get up and down either side of the bridge ... I'd love to know statistics on how many fall down that bloody thing ...

anyways thats my coffee rant over for the moment ...

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Is that the bridge that crosses over to the cathedral? If it is, it's one of the most hazardous places to walk in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

simu wrote:
    Is that the bridge that crosses over to the cathedral? If it is, it's one of the most hazardous places to walk in Galway.

Nope, it's the bridge-of-evil-blustery-death-and-wetness that crosses over the river from the roundabout at Tesco to the statoil station near college. The mud-ramps come down off of it on the concourse/city side of the bridge. They're made out of a rare type of earth that never dries. Constantly wet and muddy, bit of an extreme sport climbing down when it's wet/windy, ie every day in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

error9 wrote:
    ... how long before they make stairs / a ramp for students to get up and down either side of the bridge ... I'd love to know statistics on how many fall down that bloody thing ...

Aye...I think almost everyone who's tried to get up or down that grassy side a few times has fallen...specially in that dark.

Maybe there's no ramp because they don't want people getting up on it or summit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The fact the traffic lights are not working at the end of the bridge for the past week and a half is nice too.
    Galway City Council suck ass.
    The steps on the side were agreed last year.
    It was one of the main points for paddy jordans election to students union.
    I thought theyd get done this year but i may be proved wrong........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

well I'm not in college but I walk over the bridge mostly every day and that would be heaven if it was fixed up ... its pretty much been like that for the last 8+ years ... they need to bang a pedestrian traffic lights bang in the middle of the bridge ... lets face it .. students shouldn't cross there but they do and will continue to do so ... so why not just put them there ... I mean who's gonna go to either end of that road and cross .. oh wait .. crossing at the tesco's roundabout is hell as well ... bunch of complete morons in the council if you ask me ... they'll fix up roads that don't need it .. and neglect the bits that are important ...

ah anyways my rant for today is seeing a garda in the car driving with one hand other on the mobile ... note not on a radio ... on a mobile ... I thought that was illegal or something ...

• Advertisement

The NUIG SU explain what's happening with the steps onto the bridge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Something's happening soon i think.

anyone know whats happening with them traffic lights at the bottom of the bridge, t'is scary getting accross there, even in the brief period when theres cops directing traffic.

And re, the sighns, its ridiculous the country over, bleedin Fianna Fáil...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The bridge was built in 1985 (or was it 84?) on the 500th birthday of Galway City. So it was named the Quincentinial Bridge. I guess you're not that old.

BTW, is it really 20 years already? Time flies fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

FatherTed wrote:
    The bridge was built in 1985 (or was it 84?) on the 500th birthday of Galway City. So it was named the Quincentinial Bridge. I guess you're not that old.

Jesus, what a crappy birthday present...

FatherTed wrote:

aye never asked the reason for it ... just commented on the spelling :eek: more an english problem than a history one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ye can relax, ye're all wrong anyway!

The bridge was never called Quincentennial Bridge, it's actually called Quincentenary Bridge, but always called by the wrong name by pretty much everyone (G Bay FM etc). I think the only correct reference to it is a sign on the Prom (near Blackrock) and in official City Council documents.

The only Quincentennial is Quincentennial Drive in Salthill (where Celtic Insurance used to be).

What i would call a know-it-all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

error9 wrote:
    well I'm not in college but I walk over the bridge mostly every day and that would be heaven if it was fixed up ... its pretty much been like that for the last 8+ years ... they need to bang a pedestrian traffic lights bang in the middle of the bridge ... lets face it .. students shouldn't cross there but they do and will continue to do so ... so why not just put them there

Put steps on either side of the under-passy bit, that way students walking on either side of the road or coming from either end of the bridge can get down into the college without having to cross through traffic.

rkm wrote:
    What i would call a know-it-all

You've got me in one!

Also in reply to Syxpak and error9, last week, the Council granted planning permission for the steps to be built.

On both sides of the bridge?
    Assuming that, great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

error9 wrote:
    while you're trying to read the signs speeding by ... WHACK there goes another student...
    Don't drive so fast?

SyxPak wrote:
    On both sides of the bridge?

Not sure bout that ... read it in one of the papers

I only saw the planning notification up on the st. anthonys side .. haven't read anything about it though ...

and to be honest I can't really see the college forking out construction costs for boths sides...

Refferring to the thread title,
    anyone seen the new ramps
    on the road out onto the newcastle road
    beside St. Anthonys?
    Any comments?

rkm wrote:
    Refferring to the thread title,
    anyone seen the new ramps
    on the road out onto the newcastle road
    beside St. Anthonys?
    Any comments?

The ones right outside St. Anthony's, between St. Anthony's and the construction site?
    They seem to be temporary ones - they've changed position a few times in the last month; they're massive though and you need to practically stop when you're coming up to them. They still don't stop the lunatic construction workers speeding around that with the round-about in their vans, on the wrong side of the road. I've seen them nearly crash into oncoming traffic at least twice since Monday. Plus since there's no foot path on either side of the road (that's useable), it's pretty dangerous for pedestrians too.
    Another thing that's pissing me off about the St. Anthony's side of campus is the semi-gravel car park - the one you have to drive through when they close off sections of the road by the Science, Engineering and Technology Building - when people (generally staff) park at the exits and feck off into Cois Abhann, leaving people to try to manoeuvre their cars in tiny spaces, in the hope that the same geniuses haven't blocked the other exits...

• Advertisement

Bah wrote:
    They seem to be temporary ones - they've changed position a few times in the last month;
    I hope you're right, otherwise something will have to be done.
    They look plastic, do you think they'd burn?

rkm wrote:
    I hope you're right, otherwise something will have to be done.
    They look plastic, do you think they'd burn?

Sounds very tempting to maybe find out late some night... Not that I'm reccommeding vandalism.
    You can see marks on the road from where they were moved from, so they should be moved eventually, although there's always the possibility that they'll put in permanent ones when construction's finished.

Another thing that's a bit ridiculous in NUIG:
    On the entrance by the AIB bank, down by Distillery Road, they allow parking on the side of a tiny road, which causes major hassle at busy times (I notice it most between 09:00-10:30, 13:00-14:00, 16:00-17:00, so it's pretty much all day...) - what normally happens is that cars can only go in one direction only, which means that the road gets really backed - not to mention when the delivery trucks turn up in the mornings... The road is way too narrow and should either be made into a one-way system (probably very impractical), or just stop people parking on the side of the road.

An update on the ramps:
    some good citizen removed half of one of the ramps.
    1 1/2 down, 3 more 1/2s to go.

rkm wrote:
    An update on the ramps:
    some good citizen removed half of one of the ramps.
    1 1/2 down, 3 more 1/2s to go.

I wonder i that good citizen realises that there are security cameras *everywhere* around there... Knowing campus security, they won't have been manned/recording anything, but still.

Bah wrote:
    I wonder i that good citizen realises that there are security cameras *everywhere* around there... Knowing campus security, they won't have been manned/recording anything, but still.
    Perhaps it was removed by site workers, more likely tbh.
    It's still nice to be able to go around the
    [strike]mount everest[/strike] ramps than over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I for one disagree its not that I'm pro needless road signs but more that I'm very pro students getting hit by cars...crusty nut scratchers

Karma will ensure that you are mashed into the tarmac of the bridge later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

haven't been in Galway in yonks...actually thinkin bout going in on my day off tommorow..but Karma's for Hippies and the deeply cynical

I will laugh and get drunk on free booze at your funeral.

And possibly insult the priest.

• Advertisement

I for one disagree its not that I'm pro needless road signs but more that I'm very pro students getting hit by cars...crusty nut scratchers
    Do ya want some sauce to go wit that chip?

Advertisement