Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman or Superman

Options
  • 26-01-2005 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Who is better, and why? (this started as a discussion in the GMB yesterday, lotsa fun!

Which is better? And that doesn't mean who would kick who's ass!!! 41 votes

Batman
    0% 0 votes
    Superman
    100% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Eh in fairness, what can batman do to beat superman? while hes swinging around superman can just fly in and kill him, he could melt him with the eyes or just blow on him and freeze him to death. And if batman does somehow get away in the batmobile superman could just fly after him and melt/freeze the guy. Or throw him into space. One horse race really. That utility belt is obviously just one of those anti-mugger belts built for grannies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

But surely what makes batman so great is that he's an avenging angel type character, and provides all his abilities himself. It's not like he was born that way. Who said that they'd be pitted against eachother? no-one. it's a simple case of which is the better hero, not who'd beat whom!

ill still say superman, because batman is just a rich guy in a fancy suit. Id much rather have superman protectin me tbh. And superman WAS born that way, so he could have just sat back and joined a circus or something, but he undertook a great responsibility etc etc.
    Another thing is that superman has Lois Lane, so while batman is out chasing skirts Superman will be pining after her instead and be able to take out his rage on enemies etc.
    PLUS superman can hear stuff, so if batman is asleep and his flashlight goes on, he wont see it, oops! too unreliable, he should at least get a fancy text service or somethin.

The real question is would lois lane be able to have supermans babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say Batman, while superman clearly has an advantage against his foes with supernatural powers, batman's just a mere mortal and relies on man-made gadgets and a clear head to get him ot of tight corners. And superman doesnt seem to be doing too much better than him (disregarding plot twists) so I have to say that Batman clearly is superior to Superman...,,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

He's a rich kid with too much time on his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

It's gotta be Superman. All his powers would have Batman murdered 17 times before his annoying little sidekick could even exclaim "Holy" let alone put a word after it. That utility belt is [a little too]convenient for getting out of sticky situations but useless in a one-on-one fight especially against someone with an arsenal like Superman's. He'd be fried/frozen/pummelled into submission in no time. R.I.P Bruce Wayne. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

As far as serving a purpose goes, Superman wins, hands down, end of story. A superhero, surely, has but one purpose, viz - to protect the denizens of his particular city/planet/galaxy. Superman is just that, a super man. He has the tools to combat almost any type of evil/natural disaster which may occur. (unless of course Kryptonite is involved, which it rarely is, conveniently enough). What can Batman do, for example, if a meteor is on a collision course with earth? Nothing, nothing at all. Superman could divert the meteor or destroy it without breaking a superhuman sweat. Superman is therefore, clearly, the more functional superhero.

However, if it is a question of imagery and background, then batman is by far superior, not only to Superman, but to most mainstream superheros. His brooding, quasi-gothic demenor is just really cool. Also, he has by far the best selection of nemises. (Who can argue with Twoface, The Penguin and the Riddler, as opposed to the much more mundane Lex Luther & Co?)

Wow, that was the best two cents I ever had...

I'd have to agree with the batman advocates. I mean, the utility belt is genius. Bruce Wayne in himself has a superior intellect which he uses to his full advantage against the fantastic montage of criminals he comes up against - harley quin, the joker, the scarecrow, catwoman, two face, mr freeze, the riddler, egg head, king tut etc etc etc. Superman doesn't even have a funky-ass lair (bar the cave of solitude in Superman II) which the batcave hugely outdoes. The batwing, the batboat, and the unforgettable batmobile, notwithstanding the fantastic batsuit are what make Batman so fantastically great. He is clearly superior, as he also has the struggle with women who he is together with as Wayne, as to whether or not to tell them he is batman. Whereas Superman just doesn't have that, cuz Lois is only one woman, whereas Bruce constantly has new confusion as to whether or not to let someone into his inner circle. And the Batcave being in Wayne Manor is a fantastic idea cause it ties Wayne undeniably to Batman so if it is discovered then his alter ego is up for grabs. And while he technically could hoarde his fortune and squander it on pleasure, he uses it to fund his exploits as a crime-fighter as well as for the good of the community. (sponsorship etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

ColHol wrote:
    The real question is would lois lane be able to have supermans babies?

That was answered in the new adventures of superman and no she cannot!

Superman doesnt need a lair, he has a goddamn planet! (somewhere). Batman has the batmobile, batwing, bat-morris minor etc, but superman doesnt need all those things, coz he can FLY (and run really fast)
    Oh and one other thing, SUPERMAN CAN TIME TRAVEL!!!!! yes he can, suck on that one batman.

PS If the wayne foundation went bankrupt, see where that would leave batman. Superman doesnt depend on anything!

• Advertisement

Superman has the Fortress of Solitude. And it's en suite.

Superman's planet exploded. duh. The fact that Batman not only has weaknesses as an ordinary man, but also as his crimefighting is reliant upon an insecure thing makes him not only more credible but brings a lot of humanity to the comics/films/graphic novels/cartoons.

And the batcave isn't just attached to a bathroom, but to an entire estate! beat that, pooperman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Batman could always just throw [strike]Reeves[/strike] Superman out of his wheelchair. Well, if he wasn't dead and all...

That was low. And not fair. We're not just talking about actors here, we're talking about the entire franchise

Batman could always just throw [strike]Reeves[/strike] Superman out of his wheelchair. Well, if he wasn't dead and all...

Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Batman is definately well cooler then Superman. But Superman would simply kick his ass head to head. Perhaps if Batman secretly made a superweapon out of cryptonite he could shoot Superman in the back or something. Other then that though Superman is just an all around better person, superhero and all around nice guy.

When's the last time Batman saved the world (not just gotham!)? I reckon the only reason he's after criminals is because he has vested interests....

By the way...Brendan Routh has signed on to do three Superman movies...the last one being a Superman and Batman picture.

fade2black wrote:
    By the way...Brendan Routh has signed on to do three Superman movies...the last one being a Superman and Batman picture.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0746125/photogallery

That's uncanny!

kamobe wrote:
    Batman is definately well cooler then Superman. But Superman would simply kick his ass head to head. Perhaps if Batman secretly made a superweapon out of cryptonite he could shoot Superman in the back or something. Other then that though Superman is just an all around better person, superhero and all around nice guy.

When's the last time Batman saved the world (not just gotham!)? I reckon the only reason he's after criminals is because he has vested interests....

How can you say Batman's cooler, have the Batwing as your Avatar, and still say superman is better? The point of this is not to ask who would kick who's ass. It is simply to find out which superhero/affiliated franchise (graphics, bad guys, stories, skills, philosophies, reasonings, etc) is better. I don't think it's reasonable to say that "Superman" is an all around better person, cause a)he's not a person, and b)no one ever interacts with him as they do with other people. Clark Kent is definitely not a better person. He's only interested in Lois, and a story. he's not a nice guy necessarily! And it would be a bit ambitious for batman to start saving the world on a regular basis, though has it escaped your attention that in Batman & Robin, Mr. Freeze was only starting with Gotham and going on to freeze the world.

So its based on who has the nicest house, who is portrayed better by their franchise etc?

Fact is batman is moody, hes not a fun guy to be around. if hes not putting on a mask hes sitting around being moody. Plus he has to dodge bullets. which is not cool

• Advertisement

heheh - Mr Freeze :D

I was simply answering the question taking "better" to mean, "who'd win in a fight?"! Batman *IS* cooler, and superman would definately win. I'd prefer to have Superman protecting me against the aliens.

What I mean by better person, is that as Superman he is almost God-like. There's pretty much no evil in him at all and is much a better role model. He's just a nice guy.

Batman has that evil streak, that makes his character more appealing, like he could snap at any moment. He's more... Real. There's more depth to his persona.

I think we'll see a darker Superman in these new movies....and i'm not talking darker as in Superman III...God no....

ColHol wrote:
    Plus he has to dodge bullets. which is not cool
    it's VERY cool! cuz it brings humanity to the role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

I love you Bob.

And Batman, you muppets. Superman is a stupid patriotic idiot who isn't even from this planet, he doesn't need to use initiative to solve problems, he just uses brute strength and his "laser eyes". I mean c'mon, Batman is moody, intelligent, doesn't have a puke worthy love interest, and hasn't been completely ruined by the idiots who own him. Has no one read the Dark Knight series, ffs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I say Batman simply because I do not like Superman's colour scheme.
    Come on, blue and red?
    Black and yellow is far more pleasing to the eye.

Since I know very little about either superhero other than that, I should stop now.

And also Batgirl is cool. So Batman wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*sigh*

I've seen this battle happen twice, once in HUSH, and once in the dark knight returns

Anyway, it all depends on the circumstances of the combnat. If it's on an even playing field, then Superman will win hands down. Trouble is, its never on an even playing field when it happens. See, batman is a much more strategic fighter than superman. In HUSH, he got superman in a tunnel so he couldn't fly, told him there was a bust gas main so he couldn't use heat ray, and had a ring with green kryptonite in it

Then, of course, there is the fact that Superman is quintessentialy(sp?) a good person. And batman is not

EDIT: Batman is far cooler than superman btw. All anti-heroes are better than heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

IMO batman wins hands down he's just so very much better in many ways

Why isn't batman a quinticentially good person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Because you can't spell Plunky. Rapheal: quintessentially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Batman.

Without a doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement