Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting tonight Jan. 26th re: M50 tolls (Shane Ross)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Obviously, people have to have an alternative to using their cars for the types of journeys they make over the bridge. Otherwise there would be widespread mayhem. At the moment there is only one Dublin bus that uses the west link, .....

If there's a solid public transport solution that can be delivered for around €300/400 million that would be fine. But I'm not confident that it would be easy to deliver a 'once-off' public transport solution for M50 traffic. If Dublin had a solid basic public transport system it might then be possible to envisage ways of getting people from, say, Finglas to Tallaght without too much bother. But that's a way off in the future and will cost more than €3/400 million.

At the same time, I can well understand if we had a few hundred million gathered in a big pile ready to be spent on Dublin transport, people would hesitate before handing it over to NTR. If there's a useful and practical way of offering a people a public transport solution for less, I'd be happy to hear it.
    Victor wrote:
    Removing tolls at peak times simply means more people would travel at peak times, making things worse.

In fairness, that's not what Zaphod's advocating. He's suggesting raising the toll at peak times and reducing it at off peak. So maybe you pay €3 for crossing the bridge between, say, 7.00 and 9.00, but only €1 between 9.00 and 17.00. In theory that should encourage people who can make a choice to travel later, thus easing peak congestion. I'm not sure this is right, as I'd feel peak time users probably have no real alternative route or transport mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think we could get people from suburb to suburb along the M50 for a few hundred million. A hundred million would put 200 buses on the road, and provide enough funding to put in bus priority measures and small bus stations around the M50. for a bigger budget, you could even have special bus-only on- and off-ramps where approriate. 200 buses would give you a service along the M50 every 5 or 7 minutes and be capable of carrying ten or fifteen thousand people at each peak.

It's not rocket science, but it does require vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/05/04/story201012.html
    Greens hit out at €810m M50 upgrade
    04/05/2005 - 15:11:29

The upgrading of the M50 ring road around Dublin will only create a massive car park, the Green Party warned today. An Bord Pleanala today approved the €810m plan to widen the motorway from two lanes to three, to upgrade 10 interchanges including the Red Cow Roundabout, and to introduce an electronic toll free flow system at the Westlink toll bridge…….

The Department of Transport is proposing to fund the upgrade by extending the toll franchise on the M50 for a further 15 years. The current operators of the Westlink toll bridge, National Toll Roads, are involved in the Celtic Roads Group consortium, which has been shortlisted for the private public partnership (PPP) project.

Mr Ryan said the Government should abandon the upgrade plan and instead buy out the Westlink toll bridge and introduce an electronic tolling system on M50 approach roads to control the traffic.

Advertisement