Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL to offer broadband via MMDS

Options
  • 26-01-2005 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I was talking to a NTL rep a few months ago and she said that NTL would be offering broadband to people who could receive their MMDS service.
    Does anyone know if there is any update on this.
    I called again and just got told that they would get back to me and nothing since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

From experience, I wouldn't believe anything an NTL phone rep says, unless you get it in writing. I know they've been promising Broadband to Terenure village every time I ring up "in 6 weeks".. which has been going on for over 2 years now.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

pollyantic wrote:
    I was talking to a NTL rep a few months ago and she said that NTL would be offering broadband to people who could receive their MMDS service.
    Does anyone know if there is any update on this.
    I called again and just got told that they would get back to me and nothing since.

NOT true. Comreg dont allow BB to be delivered on MMDS Spectrum. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You sure? Since when? Chorus are doing it over mmds spectrum for some time down here around limerick.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You sure? MMDS is somewhere in the 2GHz range, isn't it? (2.2? 2.5?) I thought the Chorus offering in Limerick (PowerNet) was on 3.5GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

oscarBravo wrote:
    You sure? MMDS is somewhere in the 2GHz range, isn't it? (2.2? 2.5?) I thought the Chorus offering in Limerick (PowerNet) was on 3.5GHz.

Powernet was a 3.5 ghz product

MMDS is around 2.5 ghz and several operators make kit for MMDS TV operators to do 2 way wireless on the MMDS band, mostly using Docsis based kit. Docsis is the main standard for cable modems.
    You can also get pre-wimax kit for 2.5 Ghz

However you are not allowed do broadband delivery on the 2.5 Ghz MMDS band in Ireland

ComReg in their fantastic and forward looking fashion have made offers of 10.5 Ghz spectrum to MMDS operators and the like for this purpose. Unfortunately this will require 2 separate antennas at the customer premise since doing 2.5 ghz for the telly and 10.5 Ghz for the broadband won't work on one antenna.
    Now if we had 10.5 ghz MMDS this plan might make more sense.

The other factor is that 10.5Ghz Point to multi-point kit is rare, rather proprietary and expensive (relative to the widely used worldwide 2.5 Ghz Docsis and pre-Wimax kit.)

Another well thought out plan from ComReg, Ireland's only Chocolate Teapot factory.

.Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Great. I say again, why are comreg touting the provision of more wireless spectrum licences when the operators arent using the ones they've got (or in this case can't use it for the obvious thing they need).
    Or better still, can't get access to sites to mount their base stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

The jist of what i was told was that they would use the same masts, so that if you could get MMDS you could also get broadband. Whether they'll use different transmitters on the same mast i dont know for sure but thats the way i heard it.
    Only thing is that when i call back now noone seems to know who told me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'm fairly sure chorus are using spectrum just outside the MMDS range for powernet, it isn't a 3.5ghz system. Chorus have said to some people down here that it's running ~2.5ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bminish wrote:
    Powernet was a 3.5 ghz product

MMDS is around 2.5 ghz and several operators make kit for MMDS TV operators to do 2 way wireless on the MMDS band, mostly using Docsis based kit. Docsis is the main standard for cable modems.
    You can also get pre-wimax kit for 2.5 Ghz

However you are not allowed do broadband delivery on the 2.5 Ghz MMDS band in Ireland

ComReg in their fantastic and forward looking fashion have made offers of 10.5 Ghz spectrum to MMDS operators and the like for this purpose. Unfortunately this will require 2 separate antennas at the customer premise since doing 2.5 ghz for the telly and 10.5 Ghz for the broadband won't work on one antenna.
    Now if we had 10.5 ghz MMDS this plan might make more sense.

The other factor is that 10.5Ghz Point to multi-point kit is rare, rather proprietary and expensive (relative to the widely used worldwide 2.5 Ghz Docsis and pre-Wimax kit.)

Another well thought out plan from ComReg, Ireland's only Chocolate Teapot factory.

.Brendan

Bang on as always Brendan - Comreg will allow the use of a whopping 10% of downward frequencies for the delivery of "data" ; this barely is enough to carry the conrol/singalling stuff - reverse path could be done in an unlicensed band or one of the impossible to find "experimental" bands!

The arguement is that if they allowed it, they would have to throw it open to open competition - plus they must give lots of spectrum for the wonder that is 3G ( MMDS is 3G expansion band ) - because that will be useful! <- spot the irony!

Advertisement