Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File sharing group in UCD?

• 26-01-2005 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

As you may or may not know, file sharing is pretty much impossible behind the UCD firewall.

However, I wonder would there be a large enough community of UCD students who would be interested in swapping mucic and films within UCD?

There are a number of options for transfer.
    CD/DVD-Rom (sneakernet), the network or, if a degree of anonimity was required, the Wi-Fi network (which can be accesssed from a growing number of locations, see the computer services webpage).

Of course, swapping of copyrighted material is illegal, so I am in no way suggesting that such material should be offered...

Personally I have a SUBSTANTIAL collection of material which may be of interested to fans of Kazza, EMule and their ilk.

monster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I'd defo be interested. I've got a lot to offer. Lots of legally transferrable films, tv shows and music from over the years. I own the redistribution copyright to them all. But I'd want quality stuff in return.

In the quinn building. I know a decent amount about computers and networks, enough to take instruction!

I think the best way to do it would be to coordinate it through here and then through messenger at certain times on certain days. Something like that. Could be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

Quality is subjective and rather personal but if you mean technical quailty then yeah, most of my stuff is good.

I like the idea of a pre-established time.
    But I'll need to aggregate it all onto one hard disk and figure out the best
    method of transfer.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

one suggestion as your beloved mod (sic) keep any coordination converstation off site and on to msn or similat so it doesn't come back on us. Thank you please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Open iTunes, there are always loads of open network shares... gigs of music, but of course you shouldn't access any of this without the permission of the copyright holder...

You also shouldn't use a simple exploit to save files from said share to your hard drive without DRM...

uberwolf wrote:
    one suggestion as your beloved mod (sic) keep any coordination converstation off site and on to msn or similat so it doesn't come back on us. Thank you please

I have no idea what your talking about.
    But I'll shift this off boards just in case anything improper might be posted.

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO JOIN IN THIS THEN SEND AN EMAIL TO shareucd@yahoo.ca WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND YOU AN INVITATION.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

a capitol idea. god damn that firewall. my nemesis. who's laughing now, eh?

Kewl. Mail me for more info on the addres above (yes, it's a .ca - Canadian address).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the story is that coordinating anything that may be perceived to be illegal file sharing on this site isn't allowed. Not least because the UCD bods read this too and will stop you and could choose to block this site if they wished as part of the remedy!

so thanks for taking it off site - and you may be getting a mail from me ;)

Good, good.

Come on folks.

I've not exactly been inundated with requests...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Do computing services read this board i wonder? Could boards ban UCD IP's except from registered users?

Red Alert wrote:
    Do computing services read this board i wonder? Could boards ban UCD IP's except from registered users?

You ban an IP, you ban an IP, no traffic.

Also, there are hundred of proxies out there.

Besides, why would you bother? Nobody has mentioned anything illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You ban an IP, you ban an IP, no traffic.

Also, there are hundred of proxies out there.

Besides, why would you bother? Nobody has mentioned anything illegal.
    But if you starting moving lots of files around it'd strain the network and decrease speeds. Computrer services would not be happy. Basically it's like prison. They can do what they like.

Syth wrote:
    But if you starting moving lots of files around it'd strain the network and decrease speeds. Computrer services would not be happy. Basically it's like prison. They can do what they like.

The amount of traffic will be tiny (if there will be any at all, the network does not have to be used - and probably won't be)

We do not want to get up anyones nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I have an 8 man switch, we dont need to touch their precious network, plus we can get some gaming done too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I have an 8 man switch, we dont need to touch their precious network, plus we can get some gaming done too.

Sounds like the best idea. Plus its a chance to meet up. Perk anyone????? lol
    I'm all for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

mmmm...Perk hot chocolate with marshmallows :p I'd join any group just for that!

ok Im gonna hijack this thread, all those in favour of setting up Boards soc raise their hands.
    This soc shall facilitate:
    Drinking,
    Gaming,
    File sharing (legal only)
    and be supportive of but not affiliated with Boards.ie

All those in favour?

A switch would be fine.

But not anonymous so TRUST would play a big part.

Mail me on the address above as I have agreeed not to discuss the issue here.
    There is a seperate fourm for it.

well i did send an email but as of yet have gotten no reply

• Advertisement

well i did send an email but as of yet have gotten no reply

Replied, welcome the sugestions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Seems interesting anyways, although if the Deadalus Army hear of it and who's responsible there'll be serious ass kicked i'd say.

We dont need to use any UCD resources and if we dont knowbody will care. BTW are messages premoderated, i posted something but it aint there??

We dont need to use any UCD resources and if we dont knowbody will care. BTW are messages premoderated, i posted something but it aint there??

No, not moderated, just laggy sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i imagine the network vlan system might adversely affect the whole filesharing thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i imagine the network vlan system might adversely affect the whole filesharing thingy.

There is no use of college resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

that would seem a bit limiting. ie using a hub or trading discs - unless 100s of people get involved in this the hit on college resources would be tiny.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    that would seem a bit limiting. ie using a hub or trading discs - unless 100s of people get involved in this the hit on college resources would be tiny.

I know, it's not a performance issue. The network is well able, especially after hours.

It's just a courtesy thing coupled with monkey see monkey do.
    In case anything bad might be done I'd rather that monkey was the primate equivalent of Helen Keller in room with all the furniture rearranged...

Hey lads, dont foget to check in to the yahoo group more regularly, trying to organise another meeting

• Advertisement

how did the first one go?

very well for thse that attended

We need to arrange one again soon.

Advertisement