Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passing your driving test first time - the skinny

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have heard a lot moaning about how hard it is to pass your test. I passed it the first time I took the test with no problems - here a few hard won nuggets of knowledge.

1. Turn up on time and in the correct centre. Read the form once and then read the test form again. Do not turn up in the wrong place - it happens

2. Check your brake lights, tyres etc a couple of days before the test. Do not do this the morning of the test and then hope the tester will not notice.

3. Drive at 30 mph in 30 mph zones. If you go slower you will fail. Don't worry about lolly pop ladies, policemen, small children etc. 30 mph or fail.

4. Drive at 40 mph in 40 mph zones. If you go slower you will fail. Don't worry about lolly pop ladies, policemen, small children etc. 40 mph or fail.

5. Keep you hands on the wheel as much as possible at 10 to 2 position

6. Observation - look around like you are looking for your lost dog. It does not matter if you are actually seeing anything. Testers love to see observation.

7. Up to 30 mph - 33 mph stay in 3rd gear. Don't worry about changing into 4th it gives you too much to do.

8. Get lessons WITH and ISM qualified instructor. Anyone can set themselves up as a driving instructor. At least if they are ISM qualified they have to pass a test. Buy the ISM DVD if this is your first time doing the test.

9. Get a car and drive it lots. You will not pass the test based on lessons alone. You need to get on somebody's insurance and drive.

10. Quit moaning about how long it takes to get a test. Be creative and do something about. I live in Clonsilla and rather then take the test in Blanchardstown which has a 12 month waiting list. I took it in Mullingar which only took 10 weeks waiting for a test. Check the DOE website for towns/center's and there waiting list. Work it out it takes approx one hour to drive to Mullingar. It takes more then one hour to drive across Dublin.

11. Try and take the day off before the test to drive around the test center area. Practice your turnabouts, reverses etc all that day. Remember preparation and practice, preparation and practice.

12. Turn up at the center with your paperwork correctly laid out. This will not be a problem for you as you have prepared it the day before and shoved it into the glove box.

13. Get a good nights sleep. DO NOT GO OUT

14. Do not turn up too early as you will only sit around and getting nervous.

15. Get your act together and you will pass no problems - remember this - think of all the gob****es you know who have passed their test. If they can pass you can fly your test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Swaneck wrote:
    7. Up to 30 mph - 33 mph stay in 3rd gear. Don't worry about changing into 4th it gives you too much to do.
    I know someone who was failed for not changing into 4th gear at 30mph in the middle of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I passed first time.

I found the key to my passing, was getting a pre-test run around the testing route. I did it once and my instructor said I was rubbish. He pointed out the faults, and then I tried again, and he said provided I drove like that during the test then I'd pass. I did, and I did.

Re changing up to 4th in a 30 mph zone, I'd say if you can do it, do. Ideally, you should be in the highest gear possible without stalling the engine. In other words, don't rev the hell out of it. The tester won't like that.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

had my test the other day.. my bro gave me lessons leading up to the test(he was an instructor with ISM) and he believed i wasn't going to fail.. Guess what, i did, all because i apparently didn't 'cancel my indicators promptly' enough:rolleyes:

bottom line is, it doesn't really matter how good you are, it all comes down to who the tester is.. my brother couldn't believe it..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Re changing up to 4th in a 30 mph zone, I'd say if you can do it, do. Ideally, you should be in the highest gear possible without stalling the engine. In other words, don't rev the hell out of it. The tester won't like that.

Surely that depends a lot on the car, and the gear ratios, but on most modern cars with a 5-speed box I'd hardly describe 30mph in 3rd as "revving the hell out of it" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

I had my test last Decemeber and passed first time.. only driving 3 months before that.. I definetly believe it depends on what tester you have. I wasnt nervous at all really, I just wanted to get my first driving test over and done with. I wasnt expecting to pass. I ended up driving 35mph in 30mph zones because I read they mark you for goin too slow so I decided to concentrate on everything else, like gears etc. I screwed up the reverse around the corner bit but he still passed me on it. Didnt mark me for right of way? To be honest there were a few faults I made, like crossing my hands over on the wheel etc, but he didnt fault me on it.. not even a grade 1. Still, I think its hard to pass regardless of what tester you have. My cousin failed in the same test centre last week with 18 grade 2's and a few grade 3's..

• Advertisement

even if you get one grade 3 you fail..

You were VERY lucky, are you sure he just didn't notice you going 35 in 30 zone, because that is an instant fail

no offence, but i assume your tester was a man, and that you're a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I just passed this morning.
    Wooohoooooo.
    The fourth time trying!!!!
    Wish I'd had those tips four years ago.
    All I'd say is that you definetly need to be driving regularly as in every day for at least a couple of months before attempting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Swaneck

The point I was trying to make was that my driving improved radically when I stopped trying to make sure I was in exactly the correct gear all the time and concentrated on keeping both hands on the wheel for as much time as possible. It gives you much better control over the car, better control = better confidence=better speed=better test scores.

Without wishing to do down your friend s/he was properly failed for more then just one incorrect gear change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

When I took my test I got my employer at the time, to send in the application form, with a form saying I would lose my job if the test was not passed. When I took the test I could see this letter attached to the testers clip board. I did an Awful test as 2 cars crashed in front of me on a roundabout. This completely made me lose my concentration. I looked really hung dog as we returned to the test centre. He really didn't want to pass me but he did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Lots of good tips there. I would add to them

1) Every time you do *anything* while driving, look in your mirror. As well as maneouvring this includes changing gear, braking, accelerating, going from a 30 mph zone to a 40 etc.

2) As already stated get lessons with ISM, no-one else. Get at least 10 lessons even if you think you don't need them.

3) Choice of vehicle - if you're used to driving a car with power steering don't do your test in a manual steering car, you are guaranteed to **** up the turnabout and reverse if you do. Also be sure you're comfortable with the gearshift in your vehcile don't do you test in a 15 year old Alfa Romeo if you're used to driving the instructors 1 year old Nissan Micra :)

4) Try to make the driving lessons harder than the actual test will be. Maybe do a commentary as you're driving along (helps to improve concentration and awareness) Also make the reverse and turnabout as difficult as possible, pick narrow heavily cambered roads for the turnabout and hilly areas for the reverse. The test will be a pleasant suprise after this.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Swaneck wrote:
    8. Get lessons WITH and ISM qualified instructor. Anyone can set themselves up as a driving instructor. At least if they are ISM qualified they have to pass a test. Buy the ISM DVD if this is your first time doing the test.

Hmm. Wasn't it one of their crew who, when put on the spot on Newstalk had no idea of how to signal on a roundabout?

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have my test on Friday.

wish me luck! :)

God speed, hope it goes well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It definately comes down to the tester on the day,

no matter how prepared you are or how well you drive,he can tick everybox on the form and no one can say otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mikecomer

i concur with the people who disagreed with the third gear tip.
    my tester told me that he failed me for not going into fourth at 30 miles/hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MariaRyan

I would love to put it down to my driving skills but to be honest, I think the thing that passed was my outfit - My full 1999 Arsenal kit, Jersey, shorts and socks -

Good luck Stephen, my fingers are crossed for ya and if ya have a decent pair of lags - wear shorts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

I have my test on Monday I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it, and idea on how to get around the nerves

popey21 wrote:
    I have my test on Monday I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it, and idea on how to get around the nerves
    don't do it.. that should sort the nerves out..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't get too nervous. Remember, if you fail, you can just book it again and you'll have the experience of knowing what the test is like.

Check your mirrors a lot, as Brian suggested, and make it obvious you're checking them. Take your time on the reversing-around-a-bend, you don't have to do that one fast, you just have to do it well. And practice practice practice :)

This is my third time to do it. The first time I was only driving about 3 weeks and wasn’t nervous at all . I think failing the first time has knocked the confidence. i feel sick at the though of failing yet again, Especially when I see so many morons who drive crazy passing the test

• Advertisement

Ok focus on this ****...

1. OBSERVATION - this is the main reason most testees fail, always check yer mirrors, as in every 15 seconds and make it obvious,

2. SPEED - Don't break the limit, simple:) if you do it's an instant fail(depending on the tester)

3. REVERSE - When you're doing your reverse around a corner bit, don't use the accelerater, control the car with the clutch and break and take it nice and slow, ALWAYS check around the car like your life depended on it, as you're turning the front of the car will be moving into the road so make sure to KEEP CHECKING FOR TRAFFIC coming from the right(as well as traffic coming from behind)

4. UPHILL START - Obviously you should start in neutral, check all mirrors - indicate(keep checking mirrors) - into first and take off, as you take of have a glance over the right shoulder..

5. GENERAL DRIVE - the test is basically about driving smoothly, moving slowly up the gears and not jerking the cars.. So don't 'put the foot down', accelerate SLOWLY and SMOOTHLY.. Always make sure you are in the correct gear in relation to the speed you're going..

Depending on the car you have, you should probably go into 2nd gear at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph etc.. but as i said it depends on the car

TURNABOUT - Main thing with this is to RELAX, DON'T cross your hands over when turning, to make this easier then go as slow as possible, this way you have more time to turn the actuall wheel.. after each turn use the handbrake and all the time be aware of what it happening around you, when using the handbrake PRESS the button in, remember these testers are doing this ALL day, i'd imagine the noise of putting a handbrake get them easily pissed off..

If you see cars coming, relax, don't panic, don't try and do it faster, the cars have to wait for you so take your time..

TURNING - when turning, don't acclererate on the turn because you'll turn wide, give yourself time to slow down and move down gears, on all turns you should be in 2nd gear.. Always stay the same distance from the kerb, if you go nice and slow and you will be..

when turning right, time when you turn, as soon as you've completed the turn you should still be the same distance from the kerb, if you have turned and THEN you have to move over to the kerb then you've done it wrong

When turning ALWAYS check your mirrors first(for cyclists etc)

If the driver tells you to turn left/right, ALWAYS check mirrors 1st, THEN indicate.

On roundabouts take it nice and slow and stay close to the roundabout..

Again the tester will be testing you untill you are back in the test centre so make sure you park well..

When you first go to the centre, make sure to reverse into a space, that way you can just pull out as normal, if you don't reverse into the space then you'll have to reverse out... WITH THE TESTER IN THE CAR!!!!

check all lights/indicaters/break lights etc work,, make sure you know what controls what on the dash...

god damn i'm tired!! i've probably left a lot of **** out

will do all of that , i feel much better now , if i fail ill blame you :)

Is there anywere online that has the rules of the road with all the signs you need to know. least i could be doing something contructive in work

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Sorry, I don't know any resource online, but you can pick up a Rules of the Road book in nearly any book store for €2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I passed! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well done!

Feels good doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Congratulations! :)

I hope I have the same luck when I do my test.

Stephen well done. forums are weird eh? your rootin' for someone you don't even know. high five.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Stephen wrote:
    I passed! \o/

Well done, but bear in mind (You, and everyone else who has ever passed their test) that you will only NOW begin to REALLY learn how to drive safely/properly/fast, but safe/etc.

To give you an idea of what I mean: I passed in 1992, and now realise that what I knew when I passed the test, was only about 30% of what I now know (and I'm still not a brilliant driver - impatient with others, forget to check mirrors the odd time, too fast for the conditions sometimes, etc).

Once again, congratulations, and well done, but don't forget that you are only now in a position to start learning to be the best driver that you can be - no driver should ever stop trying to learn - good luck and safe driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

My sister failed for doing 30 in a 30 zone. Some dipsh1t was doing 40 and she failed for not keeping up with traffic. Watch out for that 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Type 17 wrote:
    ... don't forget that you are only now in a position to start learning to be the best driver that you can be - no driver should ever stop trying to learn - good luck and safe driving!

Best bit of advice on the board yet.

I passed my test in

... wait for it ...

I can concur with most of the advice here. But it's got to be remembered that passing the test is simply so that you can get a licence. It doesn't mean you are a good driver, it doesn't make you brilliant. You simply passed a test.

Never stop learning. And when you make a mistake, ensure you learn from it and never make it again.

Tony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement