Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pal + Ntsc Tv ?

Options
  • 26-01-2005 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

hey looking at this in argos,
    i have a few imported ps2 games and they come up black and white, my friends tv supports both ntsc and pal so they show up fine in his.

Does this support both modes ?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=119797&clickfrom=image

it say s:
    # Silver.

# 51cm visible screen size.

# Nicam stereo sound.

# 2 x 2w power output.

# Teletext with fastext.

# UHF/VHF tuner.

# 99 channel memory.

# European language options for on screen display and teletext.

# Auto setup

# Auto search tuner.

# Manual search sorting

# Manual search labelling

# Programmable sleep timer.

# Child lock.

# Hotel mode.

# Side AV socket.

# Headphone socket.

# Remote control (2 x AAA batteries supplied).

# 170 - 245v AC mains.

# NTSC compatible via SCART.

# 1 SCART socket.

# Size (H)44.8, (W)59.4, (D)48.2cm.

# Weight 22kg.

# NTSC compatible via SCART. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Why dont you just buy a little NTSC to PAL Convertor...
    You can buy it either at www.maplin.co.uk or at www.ebay.co.uk/www.amazon.co.uk
    The price starts from £30 to £50 depends which one you chose.
    Or best is to buy from www.svideo.com for $6 delivery charge, i have some more website but my favourates just got missing from profile and they did not come back , so i am making new one, be in touch and i will provide more sites, you should also check www.lidl.ie and www.aldi.com as they also bring this out some time.

Just to give you an idea
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=9238&MenuName=Audio/Video%20Accesories&FromMenu=y&doy=26m1&worldid=6
    http://www.svideo.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I suspect that ASTRA may be right to suggest the devices above.

That TV specifies "via SCART" even though it has "side AV sockets".

To me this means it's capable of the 60Hz field scanning rate of NTSC when it's supplied as an RGB signal to the SCART but not the colour signal if it's supplied as a composite signal via a phono "side AV socket". Why else specify "NTSC compatible via SCART".

Even with the NTSC - PAL converter your set will have to be at least capable of the 60Hz NTSC field frequency I suspect !

Caution Will Robinson . . Caution !!!!

*/ wipes tear of nostalgia from right eye . . sigh !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

in english zen ! english ! lol
    see i have a convertor, but the colours come out too sharp and the screen flickers at times when the games loading etc (eg: at versus screen)
    as for buying a new converot for 50-60, thats half the price of one of the 21'inches !

anyway so i take it the above tv i posted does NOT display ntsc devices functioning 100% properly.

thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sorry !!!!

****** Now this is just MY interpretation of the specs you provided.******

OK the TV will display correctly a picture fed to it via SCART from an NTSC DVD player or PS/2, these devices will output a 60Hz picture via their RGB outputs as opposed to their Composite (yellow phono connecter) input.

(Remember NTSC is more than just a frequency it's also an encoding system.)

Back to english now . . . the convertor box will change the NTSC colour signal to a PAL colour but I suspect that because of it's price it will not change the field frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz but rather just make it possible for reasonably modern TV's to display a colour picture when fed with a 60Hz PAL signal.

Sorry if that's still double dutch !!

ZEN

Advertisement