Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United V Chelsea 2nd leg (will contain scores)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Time for Rooney me thinks...

Rooney on Fortune off 60mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What A ****ing Amazing Goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Giggs dinky lob on the end of an angled 40 yard pass , superb goal.

Keeper shouldnt have been off his line tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-1. giggs, lovely goal. Terry a bit out of position maybe? cech could have done well to be a bit closer to the line.

ot. giggs showing his age a bit a few minutes back? 40 yard run by robben and giggs chasing. Robben just kept pulling further and further away WITH the ball.

PHB wrote:
    What A ****ing Amazing Goal!
    Now I'm off my seat PHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Game on. :o

No Giggs showing that hes been out for 2 weeks now, and isn't back to full fitness.
    He is still the fastest United player there is, beats everyone on the training ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't wait to see the goal.

Come on United.

• Advertisement

rofl, hes just never ever gona play for unied again

Your spot on there. We really need a keeper soon

2- 1 chelsea. big loopy horrible free kick. howard a bit indecisive methinks. maybe they should pay him as much as they pay jerzy dudek and he'll play well,

Oh god no.

Never will he pull on a United shirt again. Jesus H, he should be shot at this stage.

Off the line by wayne Bridge. That should have been the equaliser

What a save from cech

• Advertisement

Game over Man U 1 Chelsea 2. Just a pity we could not find the equaliser to take it extra time. Good game though. An awlful mistake by Howard for the freekick. He did not even move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

This Liverpool fan is a little disappointed that it is not United in the final. Maybe we'll get a chance to make up for the 2 league defeats though.

Will Liverpool beat them in the final?

Actually, I hope Chelsea win it.

Imagine the pressure come April / May if they are going for a "unprecedented quadruple".

seansouth wrote:
    Will Liverpool beat them in the final?

Actually, I hope Chelsea win it.

Imagine the pressure come April / May if they are going for a "unprecedented quadruple".

NO. The final in at the end of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Good game but United were all over them. It was a good goal by Giggs and Duff's Free kick was good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

howard couldnt do anything about it, tiago was sliding in and was about an inch away from making contact, if he did it would have shot straight at howard and he'd have saved it.

thats an impossible ball to deal with, a catch 22 situation and you cant blame howard, just praise the quality of the ball.

dam that wayne bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Maybe not but at least Liverpool are guaranteed a place in Europe. :p

Why not rather Liverpool win it and maybe hit their premiership form a little :)
    This win will unfortunately reinforce their confidence, hopefully it will push them to overconfident but I doubt it.

I think what won this game and lost this game was the keepers.

Cech made a quality save vs. Ronaldo at the end, and dealt with the crosses quite well imo.
    Howard, make a good save, but I think both goals could have been dealt with by better goal keepers, the first one obviously a lot harder.
    I hope Howard is sold, and we spent a ****load of money on the best keeper in the world :)

PHB wrote:
    I hope Howard is sold, and we spent a ****load of money on the best keeper in the world :)

Which is who?

Buffon maybe :)
    I don't know, but I'm sure Fergie has a wish list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I thought the critisism Howard was getting this season was unfair but he was a bloody pussy cat there tonight. He ended up in the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Whoever stated howard was not at fault there i have to laugh. that was appalling. he may aswell have pulled up a chair. that is a cross which has to be decisively met and dealt with. brutal. he must never play again for utd as i've stated since...oh 1st game of season v Chelsea. Brutal. He's a real big game player. 2 semi final appearances, 2 total fnck ups gifting opposition goals.Well done tim.

Whoever stated howard was not at fault there i have to laugh. that was appalling. he may aswell have pulled up a chair. that is a cross which has to be decisively met and dealt with. brutal. he must never play again for utd as i've stated since...oh 1st game of season v Chelsea. Brutal. He's a real big game player. 2 semi final appearances, 2 total fnck ups gifting opposition goals.Well done tim.

Agree with all of the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

you cant blame howard. its one of those impssible situations. the defender running in for the ball who rio was marking made the decision impossible. if he went out to meeti t and the defender got, cue howard being slated for not staying on his line. he stays on his line and gets slated, what can he do?
    i dont think Carrol would of done much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I dont think it was a huge mistake by Howard, it was just an amazing ball. As Smemon said it was catch 22. Surely the defenders should be dealing with it? Andy Gray said something like, it happens keepers the world over but a deal will be made out of it because its Howard and he is in bad form, which is true. His performance kept United in the game for 85 minutes.

Overall I think Chelsea just shaded it. A great second half after a poor first half. United didnt really do anything until they scored and then the last five minutes. Ronaldo almost scoring near the end I think will paper over the cracks of what was for me pretty poor performance again. I really feel he is a serious weak link in Uniteds team.

Robben was excellent for Chelsea, in fact Im not sure if you could fault any of them. Roll on the 27th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The camera behind the goal shows how much time Howard had to come out and give the ball a wee punch. Its not one of those were the keeper has to go through about 5 players and risk not getting the ball. From what I saw there was very little risk going for that ball and punching it. Why was he in the back of the goal? Why didn't he stand his ground if he wasn't touched?

BTW, I certainly stand corrected as I usually have to read a debate about these incidents and then go watch it again.

If you looked at sky about them making decisions, I'm sure that Caroll would have done something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Problem isn't Howard or the defence it's much further up the field...

Ronaldo hasn't passed a ball in 3 months, the sooner he's dropped the better. During the game whenever Keane got the ball he went out of his way not to give it to Ronaldo, he's obviously as sick as I am of watching him make the wrong decision and lose the ball...again.

Saha up front simply isn't good enough. United need to have one of the top 10-15 players in the world for every position is Saha one of them? hell no..holds it up but another one who makes the wrong decision far too often.

The formation is wrong, for the last 3 years Ferguson has been chasing his 4-5-1 formation without success. Originally he only used it in Europe, which was costly enough but now he wants to play it in every game. Once again Utd only looked threatening when he switched to 4-4-2. Chelsea were struggling to deal with it and had he played that formation maybe we'd of won the game.

It was a definite penalty in the first half, makelele should have been sent off, Bridge made an exceptional clearance off the line and Cech made a fantastic save in the last couple of minutes. All of these things would have led to United winning, but at the end of the day we just weren't good enough, our squad isn't good enough and Ferguson has to shoulder the blame for that.

Look at the united squad, how many world class players are there? Saha, Fortune, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Fletcher, Phil Neville, Howard, Carroll, Ricardo, Richardson none of them are good enough for United.

It should have been Ronaldinho, Duff, Robben and Frey....

We need to clean house, but unfortunately we're stuck with the turkeys because nobody else wants them. and yet even at that, and even without our main source of goals we could have had 4-5 tonight. Chelsea are far from invincible, but they are a good side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not a single defender even looked like making a challenge for the ball. They are all also at blame.

Scapegoating Howard might make you feel better, but when it comes down to it, the whole defence (including Howard) have to take some of the blame, then your hat has to be tipped to Duff who delivered the ball.

how people have short memories :rolleyes: if it weren't for howard we would have gone 2-0 down, game over. 90 secs after his save giggs scored 1-1.

dealing with that sort of ball is near impossible as the chances of someone getting a touch are greater than them not. so as a keeper howard then remains static anticipating a touch. as noone gets a touch, the ball goes past howard and it's too late to react. you cant blame a keeper for that, so precise was the ball if went of the post and into the top corner.

had howard went with the line of the ball and someone got a touch i guarantee you you'd still say he was to blame. its a catch 22 situation. simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

United's defense were very poor in this game and paled in comparison to Chelsea's. Silvestre was his usual shakey self and could have done better for both goals. Ferdinand was no the rock we know him to be. As soon as Chelsea scored it was interesting to watch how we fell to pieces. A moment of inspiration by giggs is was the only thing possible to break Chelsea and that seemed to lift us. United are still anchored by a lot of problems and maybe it is time to make some changes. Starting from the manager down.

The more I hear Jose, the more I like him. He may come across as arrangant, but he always gives a good honest interview.

Ronaldo hasn't passed a ball in 3 months, the sooner he's dropped the better. During the game whenever Keane got the ball he went out of his way not to give it to Ronaldo, he's obviously as sick as I am of watching him make the wrong decision and lose the ball...again.

Memory of a gipsey fly
    Ronaldo for teh last 5 games, has been passing the ball.
    He only doesn't pass the ball when he doesn't believe that the people he passes to are going to score, and today he was pretty much right in most cases imo.

Saha up front simply isn't good enough. United need to have one of the top 10-15 players in the world for every position is Saha one of them? hell no..holds it up but another one who makes the wrong decision far too often.

Theres one guy, can't quite remember his name, he is dutch or something.
    However injuries happen, and thats the way it goes.
    Are Gudjohnson or Drogba top 10-15 in the world?

The formation is wrong, for the last 3 years Ferguson has been chasing his 4-5-1 formation without success. Originally he only used it in Europe, which was costly enough but now he wants to play it in every game. Once again Utd only looked threatening when he switched to 4-4-2. Chelsea were struggling to deal with it and had he played that formation maybe we'd of won the game.

Maybe, hes won about a billion premierships, I think he knows what he is doing.

It was a definite penalty in the first half, makelele should have been sent off, Bridge made an exceptional clearance off the line and Cech made a fantastic save in the last couple of minutes. All of these things would have led to United winning, but at the end of the day we just weren't good enough, our squad isn't good enough and Ferguson has to shoulder the blame for that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, flawed conclusion.

Look at the united squad, how many world class players are there? Saha, Fortune, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Fletcher, Phil Neville, Howard, Carroll, Ricardo, Richardson none of them are good enough for United.

It should have been Ronaldinho, Duff, Robben and Frey....

Players there that are good enough for United:
    Fletcher
    Saha(definally)
    Phil Neville, who was arguably one of the best players in the champions leaguye 99 final, so don't slate him please with your short memory.
    Show me a mistake he has made in the last 3 years? G'wan, show me.
    I would like to have
    Ronaldinho Duff Robben Frey
    but we don't, whats your point?

We need to clean house, but unfortunately we're stuck with the turkeys because nobody else wants them. and yet even at that, and even without our main source of goals we could have had 4-5 tonight. Chelsea are far from invincible, but they are a good side

Fortune, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Fletcher, Phil Neville, Howard, Carroll, Ricardo, Richardson

Would all get places in most of the premiership sides.

Fergie blamed the defenders and NOT the keeper. He felt that they had plenty of time to get to the ball. Surprisely enough he made no reference to the penalty decision until the Sky reporter asked him about it. He just referred to not getting penalty decisions and thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was accepting of the defeat at one-nil. but then to lose to a goal like that is just infuriating. fergie is blaming the defenders, i think howard should have done something, i now its a horrible ball to deal with but a good gk would be challenging for it.

chelsea do look good but despite all their signings its lampard and terry that are the difference. terry is fantastic at the back. alot of their atacking players were quiet again.

as for utd, we desperately need ruud back.

Iago wrote:
    Problem isn't Howard or the defence it's much further up the field...

I think you're being harsh on Saha. He's ploughing a lone furrow up there due to that ridiculous formation thatFergie persists in playing. He's also played about 3 games in how long? Give him time to get match fit, have support and be playing in a proper formation, then judge.

fade2black wrote:
    United are still anchored by a lot of problems and maybe it is time to make some changes. Starting from the manager down.

oh for god's sake! talk about knee-jerk reaction. :p

smemon wrote:
    how people have short memories :rolleyes: if it weren't for howard we would have gone 2-0 down, game over. 90 secs after his save giggs scored 1-1.

dealing with that sort of ball is near impossible as the chances of someone getting a touch are greater than them not. so as a keeper howard then remains static anticipating a touch. as noone gets a touch, the ball goes past howard and it's too late to react. you cant blame a keeper for that, so precise was the ball if went of the post and into the top corner.

had howard went with the line of the ball and someone got a touch i guarantee you you'd still say he was to blame. its a catch 22 situation. simple as that.
    Yes, he made a good save earlier in the game. But what is the point if you're going todo that? Yes, it was the kind of ball anyone could have touched- but not if he had done what Cech for example would have done at the other end - come and met the ball as it came in, at a high point and fisted it away. Watch it again. He had no traffic to get through.

smemon wrote:
    oh for god's sake! talk about knee-jerk reaction. :p

It's not a knee jerk reaction. I felt it was time Ferguson went about 2 seasons ago.

PHB wrote:
    Phil Neville, who was arguably one of the best players in the champions leaguye 99 final, so don't slate him please with your short memory.
    Show me a mistake he has made in the last 3 years? G'wan, show me.
    I would like to have
    I point you to 2nd round, champions league. The year? 2004. The venue? Old Trafford. The time on the clock? 92 mins. The offence? Giving away a completely needless free kick by jumping allover the player he was marking, as a humped aimless ball came forward. The outcome? The free kick which led to the goal.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    It's not a knee jerk reaction. I felt it was time Ferguson went about 2 seasons ago.
    You a real Utd fan? If so, show some respect. Show some loyalty, and remember who built the club into what it was today. He makes terrible choices at times imho. But he again imho decides when it's time to go. He's untouchable.

You a real Utd fan? If so, show some respect. Show some loyalty, and remember who built the club into what it was today. He makes terrible choices at times imho. But he again imho decides when it's time to go. He's untouchable.

I think you answered your own question there buddy. And don't question my loyalty to my team, everyone has opinions and their right to them. Would you like me to list the mistakes Fergie has been making because I gladly will.

Hey lay off him, he is entitled to his opinion. How is that disrespectful. I personally hope Fergie goes this season. Yes he has done wonders for our club, but maybe its time that he passed the reigns over to somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Iago wrote:

and even without our main source of goals we could have had 4-5 tonight. Chelsea are far from invincible, but they are a good side

On the peno issue, i felt fortune hit the ball too far ahead of him and and chelsea player would of got even if he hadnt of been tripped. Now as all you united fans will remeber, when ljunberg was taken out by rio you's all said that he didnt have control of the ball so no freekick, surely the same ?

makelele sent off, for kicking thin air? come on.

4-5 goals, ronaldos shoot, and the goal-line clearance, what other goals? you could say chelsea could of had 4-5 goals aswell.

also, for the goal, howard had to stay back as he was unsure if the attack who was marked by rio was going to win it.

Leonard wrote:
    Fergie blamed the defenders and NOT the keeper.

He also sadi that ronaldo had his best game of the season against villa, so whats your point. Either hes been absolutely ****e all season or ferguson is talking him up in public. He is the only person that saw the match that said ronaldo played well

• Advertisement
Advertisement