Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Johnstown Navan @24.99

• 26-01-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking to hear from people near around Navan johnstown, near supervalue area. There can be a hotspot setup for the broadband without phone connection, i.e. wireless broadband (I am not talking about www.digiweb.ie as they are crap in quality) the company say if they get atleast 40 members then they can set up our own hot spot in the area and the cost would be merely 24 euro a month. this would be a community broadband so .
    any heads up?

reply us asap.

we have also put a notice board on supervalue, so you can have a look at that as well

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

put me down for that, was talkin to joe zwarts earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

ASTRACLUB wrote:
    Hi all

Looking to hear from people near around Navan johnstown, near supervalue area. There can be a hotspot setup for the broadband without phone connection, i.e. wireless broadband (I am not talking about www.digiweb.ie as they are crap in quality) the company say if they get atleast 40 members then they can set up our own hot spot in the area and the cost would be merely 24 euro a month. this would be a community broadband so .
    any heads up?

reply me asap.

I have also put a notice board on supervalue, so you can have a look at that as well

cheers

Is it possible to do this in any area of the country. I have a bad experience with Digiweb DSL right now in the Wicklow area and I wish I could do something similar

here is the web site
    http://www.ildana.com
    they dont seem to have wicklow in their list, but you could always drop them a line. visit their online shop were the broadband packages are listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

alleepally wrote:
    I have a bad experience with Digiweb DSL right now in the Wicklow area and I wish I could do something similar

Depending where you are in Wicklow, it might be worth getting in touch with the BB4NEWicklow site. They're looking for people in the area who would like to set up a Group Broadband Scheme.

If you're not in their proposed coverage area, you could always start the ball rolling for your own GBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Try to contact them to open otherwise
    there is one more option for wicklow as i think EIRCOM would not have BB there
    www.brodsat.com you need a dial up to upload but you can download through setalite
    they seems to be good as well where there is no community scheme or,
    speak the above mention people, Zoe has spoke to them and MD of the company need atleast 20 people.
    so if you could spread the word in your area like we are doing then there might be a possibility to have BB there as well
    good luck and keep us posted

Regards

AC & Zoe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

heffo9 wrote:
    here is the web site
    http://www.ildana.com
    they dont seem to have wicklow in their list, but you could always drop them a line. visit their online shop were the broadband packages are listed.
    So is it satellite backhaul? This is what they have done with a lot of their schemes for which they have recieved public money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

SkepticOne wrote:
    So is it satellite backhaul? This is what they have done with a lot of their schemes for which they have recieved public money.

Yes, all of the recently announced GBS Schemes that ildana are involved with are VSAT back-haul jobbies, including one that is 5.2km away from and has line of sight to, the Limerick MAN
    see this thread
    The only non-VSAT scheme announced in that round was Kinvara Co Galway.

ildana told everyone at the GBS round 2 conference that 2 way satellite latency wasn't an issue, that they had happy gamers, VPN works perfectly, that VOIP was perfect, best thing since sliced bread etc
    Strangely reluctant to give written guarantees that this was the case though.

Best avoided at all costs, methinks

.brendan

Bminish

So what do you and other thinks about the quality of the services?

Recommended?
    Better then eircom?
    Better then digiweb

or anything else?????

regards

AC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

ASTRACLUB wrote:
    Bminish

So what do you and other thinks about the quality of the services?
    AC

I am not in the business of recommending services I haven't used.
    digiweb's main 'problem' is that they seem to be throttling P2P traffic
    the internet != P2P and the VSAT people have to do the same

very few people will be that happy with VSAT, for some it will be better than dial-up but for anyone doing anything even remotely interactive ISDN would be a better choice

with VSAT solutions like ildana are offering expect pingtimes to ALWAYS be worse than about 650 msec
    That rules out mot gaming, anything interactive and will make things like secure web pages dog slow.

.Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bminish wrote:
    I am not in the business of recommending services I haven't used.
    digiweb's main 'problem' is that they seem to be throttling P2P traffic
    the internet != P2P and the VSAT people have to do the same

very few people will be that happy with VSAT, for some it will be better than dial-up but for anyone doing anything even remotely interactive ISDN would be a better choice

with VSAT solutions like ildana are offering expect pingtimes to ALWAYS be worse than about 650 msec
    That rules out mot gaming, anything interactive and will make things like secure web pages dog slow.

.Brendan

Yep, have to agree with Brendan agian - although I have Digiweb wireless at home and never have a problem with it? Mind you I am not a gamer or serious downloader....AFAIK the throttle issue will be addressed very soon too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

TaraWAN.net will also have their wireless community network setup shortly which will provide broadband internet access to its members. They plan on covering a large area around Johnstown, Tara, Kilmessan, Kiltale and Dunsany. Their backhaul will be coming from DSL as opposed to SAT, they hope to provide a lot of local content besides broadband too (ftp, voip, live streams etc). see www.tarawan.net for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 royoftherovers

Has to be better than whats currently available...BTW anyone know why DSL isn't available in Johnstown. With thousands of new houses, I would have thought it would have been almost automatic but no...

I have a feeling that eircom assume we're enabled because we're near Navan. On the DSL trigger site it says its available, and lists the location as Navan but whenever I check my line it fails. I know I'm not into the Navan exchange, but some other exchange which isn't enabled...

Do eircom assume Johnsown is covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know, but I think you can safely assume that nobody's paying any attention to that trigger scheme. Eircom is in any event rolling out to smaller exchanges over the next couple of months so you might be in luck soon. I don't know if there's a list of exchanges covered by this rollout.

johnstown is served by the kilcarn exchange which has not been bb enabled and is not due to be in the near future, according to eircom. i have contacted them a few times, to highlight the fact that approx half the population of navan is not bb enabled, but they dont seem to give a f**k.
    just another point the ida business park (johnstown) is bb enabled from the navan exchange, so why aren't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

ASTRACLUB wrote:
    cost would be merely 24 euro a month.

You will also need to use your phone line while anytime you are online. So that'll put the cost up depening on how many hours your online

johnstown is served by the kilcarn exchange which has not been bb enabled and is not due to be in the near future, according to eircom. i have contacted them a few times, to highlight the fact that approx half the population of navan is not bb enabled, but they dont seem to give a f**k.
    just another point the ida business park (johnstown) is bb enabled from the navan exchange, so why aren't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Is there caps?
    Can you use it and phone at same time?
    Setup cost?
    Crap website :)

Lads

I tried to contact this lady at the eircom exchange and on asking about the line failure, she said the system could show the line as failure but we could be connected as well. then on checking my number she said that my line had never been checked for BB enabling, thank you very much!!! as i said to her she said that someone will check my line in 2 weeks and we could be lucky. Now i am on 04690... number and with same setup, my friend in navan is getting bb since last 4 months so my understanding is that exchange should be same. now i have not heared from eircom since then, I think that eircom girl was talking with her 6th sense as i have never heared such type of line checking manualy thing....:-(
    now lets see what happens as eircom si working near the chinese rest+pub and that could be the link addition from navan exchange to our area.
    Hope for the best!!!
    by the way,
    Joseph Zwarts is volunteering himself to get the bb done in our area but i dont think we are getting somethin, i suggest that we should meet at supervalu somewhere and then start a protest or march towards eircom or somewhere to heared our voice,
    any takers in this, any more then 20 protesetors could do, i dont know but someone from us should come forward from our area and we can spare one day with slogans and other type of protest...
    what the people say on it....
    Regards

Di

eircom just fog you off about checking your line, they tell you to ring back in 10 days, sure they dont even check it, i've went through this crap and ended up no better off. they told me the other day that i was like thousands of other people in the country and that i would just have to wait.
    i think your right about the protest, but we would need more than 20 poeple to make any difference. i also think we should be hitting meath county council. anyone know when they meet.

Ill join lads,how about we arrange at North East Board

Go up to bar at the top and go to region,north east.

• Advertisement

lets roll it thru this page, words of mouth and putting on supervalue, i will tell joe to start the prep for protest,
    lets make it, we arrange a date and then start working towards thats side,
    3-5 person should meet to get the people out for protest,
    Joe, would you be intrested in arranging or collection already listed people for this and then we can meet maybe at odwyer's for the perp to go ahead.
    Lets see how many come come up as at this moment of time, i dont think community BB is coming up as they are asking too much money for installation.
    Any words
    Joe?

DI

Sorry astra,iam i missing something,whos joe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

count me in, just say when and where

crumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 halflife

count me in also

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

heffo9 wrote:
    According to Eircom's website, Kilcarn is to be DSL enabled before March 2006

Go to the News section on Eircom.ie and the story is eircom to provide Broadband access to 90% of country by 2006, dated 11:07 Friday 11 February 2005

I can't direct link as Session times out on the link?

Thanks Byte , is there any word on Smart Telecom coming around this neck of the woods

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't be holding your breath for Smart. I'd like Smart too but it'll probably never happen. My exchange is also shortlisted to be enabled by Mar 06.

Anytime now... :rolleyes:

Damn it , why is it so hard to get decent broadband , anyway thanks for the info .. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

TaraWAN will have wireless broadband available to much of Johnstown in the next couple of weeks. tarawan.net

• Advertisement

Count me in anyway,again,just PM me when and where,we'll show them!! :P

Advertisement