Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Johnstown Navan @24.99

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joetighe

Folks,
    can I get an accurate update on how Johnstown is currently serviced or not by eircom / digiweb or others.
    If its not serviced at all, residents there should get the ball moving on the group broadband scheme which i will help facilitate.
    Approx 10 Meath areas have started moving on this,
    Ballivor is approved and Athboy application is with the dept. at the moment.
    see www.meath.ie for details.
    Regards

Joe Tighe

Group Broadband Co-Ordinator,
    Mid-East Region (Kildare, Meath, Wicklow),
    Meath County Council,
    County Hall, Navan, Co. Meath
    e: jtighe@meathcoco.ie
    t: 046 9021581 ext 491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Hi Joe,i emailed you today,i live in Kilberry.

I would suggest anyone to contact Joe as he is very helpful,why wait for eircom.Contact Joe like i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mosizlack

Isnt it amazing that the IDA park is ADSL enabled and the rest if us regular schmoes have been left behind ?

I would live fixed line dsl to be available in Johnstown, holding off getting isdn lines in at home for work just incase dsl comes along, cant get wireless adsl as my employer does not allow wireless dsl acess .......

the telecoms system in johnstown is just as bad as the sewage system - its stinks ! the struggle continues !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sewage :P

Just like everything else in Navan,all badly planned

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭collsoft

I was about to set up a business in the old village, and I assumed that broadband was there because it was in Navan.

I cant believe they build a special exchange for the area (Kilcarn) with a couple of thousand houses, and then don't bother to bring in DSL!!!

Let em know when your campaign begins - I will help.

Would it be any use to post leaflets through peoples letterboxes in Johnstown, just asking people to register their interest with eircom?

• Advertisement

The Group Broadband Scheme works by collecting names and addresses in your area, by flyers, knocking on doors, church announcement etc. Once you have 25+ 'potential' expressions of interest contact me and i can get the ball moving re. companies to bring the service to your area. The companies get a 28% grant to bring it in.
    Johnstown has the population, it just needs a couple of people to get moving on this. Next round of funding closes on the 28 April. See www.meath.ie for more details or contact me.

Joe Tighe,
    Regional Co-ordinator,
    jtighe@meathcoco.ie
    046 9021581 x 491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

right, so let's get a defo list of people interested in here first then meet up and organise a local advertisng campaign. how about meetin up at supervalu on thursday night(31/03), or even o briens pub. just to get the ball rollin

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Agreed with
    • heffo9
    lets make it at O'Dywers pub on 31/03 at 8:30 evening,

can some one make a A4 print and stick it to supervalu as well about this if we are meeting ahead

i am going to personal Pm all the user of this forum

JOHNSTOWN AREA BROADBAND MEETING
    31/03/05
    At 8:30 PM
    O'Dywers pub

see ya there

Folks,
    Thursday is too short notice for me, I am tied up that evening, although I can meet anyone in Navan or Johnstown on Thursday up to 6:30pm.
    Otherwise I can make it at a different date next week, although I would recommend moving sooner rather than later.

It is a question of getting interested parties, not neccessarily subscribers, just expressions of interest on a list.
    There are various ways to do this ;
    If you want you can set up a group such as the kilmessan broadband initiave, or work alone.

1. Then knock on doors
    2. Telephone around homes and businesses.
    3. Hold a public meeting
    4. Ask your priest to announce there is a list at the back of the church for signing. (This got 40 names in Summerhill on one Sunday morning)
    5. Place boxes in shops for people to drop their details into (worked well in Athboy).

A company will take interest once they see the potential in the place so the more expressions of interest on your list the better.

The dept. will deal with a minimum of 25, however companies usually want 30/40.

As I said give me a ring to organise a separate meeting if you need to,
    Regards,

Joe Tighe
    Regional Co-ordinator,
    jtighe@meathcoco.ie
    046 9021581 x 491

Joe

thanks for reply.
    tried to ring you but u were busy and phone was ringing.
    U are right and we can look for some other time may be next week sometime.
    will you post it here when can you be available for one and same forum and then i would put some print on super valu and other places about this meeting,
    at the moment i am going to send a PM to all of the forum members.
    Regards

AC

Lads

we should wait for Joe as he will be a good help in link in putting ideas on paper, so let not make it on 31st and wait for Joe's invitation in the same forum and sorry for hassle if u had any.
    cheers
    D

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,
    Upstairs in O'Briens Restaurant, Johnstown Vilage, Navan is confirmed for 8:00pm on Thursday 7th April, for a meeting to discuss the Group Broadband Scheme for areas in Meath without Broadband, and for areas not fully serviced with broadband.

This meeting is of interest to all residents of Meath and not just Johnstown residents.

I will discuss details of the scheme as detailed below ;

The Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources are providing up to 28% funding to Internet Service Providers to provide broadband internet access to towns, villages, townlands, hinterlands in Co. Meath under the County & Group Broadband Scheme (CGBS).

Broadband Internet access provides access to the Internet at approx. 10-20 times the speed of current dial-up access. This provides massive advantage to home-users, students of all levels, businesses and for attracting new business to an area. Broadband Internet access is part of the telecommunications infrastructure essential in this information age.

“So how do I get Broadband in my area”

Contact the Co-ordinator and identify the need for broadband. A list of 25 (minimum) potential broadband subscribers must be put together by the community or Internet company.
    The Co-ordinator has a list of relevant Internet companies to choose from.
    Internet company/community puts an application for funding together, verifies it with the Co-ordinator and submits the application to the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.
    Application is approved by the Dept. (within 4 weeks) and broadband service is implemented.
    The current round for funding applications closes 28th April 2005.

Contact: Regional Co-ordinator - Mr. Joe Tighe, Meath County Council, County Hall, Navan, Co. Meath.
    Tel: 046/9021581 ext. 491
    Email: Jtighe@meathcoco.ie

Public Information Meetings open to all residends in Meath without Broadband Internet Access.

Hi,
    can locals confirm what local advertising has been done or planned for this meeting on Thursday.
    I have places ads in the weekender and chronicle and will also contact lmfm.
    Posters/flyers need to be placed in the Johnstown area, by those promoting the meeting.
    Regards,

Joe Tighe,
    Regional Co-ordinator,
    jtighe@meathcoco.ie,
    046 9021581 x 491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

i have put a few flyers up in local shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

This is great, I'm coming off the Kilcarn exchange in athlumney abbey and could not believe that such a new exchange in such a high population area was not broadband enabled from the start. I'll go the meeting and knock on a few neighbours doors to see if I can drag any of them along also.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

Letter sent to LMFM to perhaps get a mention.

Dear Mr. Farrelly / News Team.

I writing on behalf of the Johnstown Communtiy. As a group we are trying to highlight the fact that an area of Navan with some 1500 homes is not serviced by Broadband. A meeting has been organised in O'Dwyers Restaurant, Johnstown Village @8pm on Thursday 7th April. We would appreciate any publicity that you could provide us with, even if this only amounts to a mention of the meeting taking place. The more people that attend the meeting the sooner the Broadband companies will offer us a service. We wish all those interested in recieving broadband to attend this meeting.

I can be contacted on 086 8246121 if you need to clarify anything.

Please see below an open letter from Joe Tighe., Meath County Council, who will be chairing the meeting.

Many thanks for your assistance in this pressing matter.

Sean Cooke.

open letter to Broadband forum on www.boards.ie ----

Hi All,
    Upstairs in O'Briens Restaurant, Johnstown Vilage, Navan is confirmed for 8:00pm on Thursday 7th April, for a meeting to discuss the Group Broadband Scheme for areas in Meath without Broadband, and for areas not fully serviced with broadband.

This meeting is of interest to all residents of Meath and not just Johnstown residents.

I will discuss details of the scheme as detailed below ;

The Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources are providing up to 28% funding to Internet Service Providers to provide broadband internet access to towns, villages, townlands, hinterlands in Co. Meath under the County & Group Broadband Scheme (CGBS).

Broadband Internet access provides access to the Internet at approx. 10-20 times the speed of current dial-up access. This provides massive advantage to home-users, students of all levels, businesses and for attracting new business to an area. Broadband Internet access is part of the telecommunications infrastructure essential in this information age.

“So how do I get Broadband in my area”

Contact the Co-ordinator and identify the need for broadband. A list of 25 (minimum) potential broadband subscribers must be put together by the community or Internet company.
    The Co-ordinator has a list of relevant Internet companies to choose from.
    Internet company/community puts an application for funding together, verifies it with the Co-ordinator and submits the application to the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.
    Application is approved by the Dept. (within 4 weeks) and broadband service is implemented.
    The current round for funding applications closes 28th April 2005.

Contact: Regional Co-ordinator - Mr. Joe Tighe, Meath County Council, County Hall, Navan, Co. Meath.
    Tel: 046/9021581 ext. 491
    Email: Jtighe@meathcoco.ie

Public Information Meetings open to all residends in Meath without Broadband Internet Access.

to correct the above message,
    the venue as previously posted is O'Briens restuarant (upstairs) at 8:00 pm, Johnstown Village, not O'Dwyers pub.

Regards,
    Joe Tighe,
    Regional Broadband Co-ordinator,
    jtighe@meathcoco.ie

Joe

Hi

I have put flyers at the following location:--
      SUPERVALUE NOTICE BOARDS,,
      BUS STOP IN FRONT OF SUPERVALUE,,,
      MACE(KENTSTOWN ROAD, THE ONE WITH PETROL PUMP),,,
      BUS STOP IN FRONT OF OLD BRIDGE INN on N3,,,
      MACE in JOHNSTOWN VILLAGE,,,
      SHOP IN FRONT OF JOHNSTOWN VILLAGE,,,,
      PHARMACY IN JOHNSTOWN VILLAGE,,,,
      MOVIE RENT SHOP IN ODWERS PUB CAMPUS,,,,
      OFF LICENSE IN SAME CAMPUS,,,,
      COMMUNICATED TO BAILIS DOWNS RESIDENCE ASSOCIATIONS CHAIRMAN,,,, AND SHE WILL COMMUNICATE TO OTHER MEMBERS.,,,,

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL

CHEERS

DIVYA

Crumble

The Meeting Is At O'brians Restaurent In Johnstown Village Near Health Centre And Not At O'dwyers.
      Hope Lmfm Lads Are Informed About This.

Cheers

Div

ASTRACLUB wrote:
      Crumble

The Meeting Is At O'brians Restaurent In Johnstown Village Near Health Centre And Not At O'dwyers.
      Hope Lmfm Lads Are Informed About This.

Cheers

Div

Yep realised my mistake the minute I posted! Rang them first thing in the morning to let them know the screw up... thats what happens when you start sending of emails and posts late at night....

They said that it would get a mention but I dont know if it did... I confess I dont listen to LMFM much.

First of all, thanks to Joe for turning up on the night and giving a good presentation of what the group broadband scheme is all about.

Well-done Joe. Also thanks to the lads from Tarawan and the chap from Digiweb for giving us an insight to what they can possibly offer us in the way of a wireless BB service.

I have created a mailing list from the details collected at the meeting and have sent everyone on it an introductory message.

Personally I think the next thing we should be doing is going all out to collect as many names of interested parties as possible.

I took a number of posters on the night and intend to get them up wherever I can.

Lets get some feedback through here and see where we should be going from here. It would make sense to organise ourselves if we want to succeed at this endeavour so all volunteers should make themselves known now.

What are your thoughts on it all guys, lets here some feedback!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers for quick response,
      If you are ready then we can do one thing which just came into my idea.
      We can set up a table in front of supervalue and with the help of flyers and the material provided by Joe we can be there either saturday or sunday as volunteers and we can answer and collect the names there. I offer myself and i am sure someone else would also support and join us.
      what do you think, let me know and if you think you are not free on first 2 days then i am free from on wednesday/thursday/friday and saturday.
      you have my number for any info you think we can discuss.

i think to set up a table and chair at supervalue we will have to contact the admin office!!!

Regards

AC

As requested last night ;
      Joe Tighe,
      Regional Co-ordinator ;
      jtighe@meathcoco.ie

Provisional List of Companies that have Expressed an Interest in taking part in the CGBS

(Inclusion in this list does not constitute a recommendation by the Department)

COMPANY NAME and ADDRESS

www.tarawan.net
      COUNTIES OF INTEREST
      Meath
      david@tarawan.net
      daniel@tarawan.net
      jonathon@tarawan.net

Access Service: FWA

Network IE Limited
      69 Lower Leeson Street
      Dublin 2
      Ireland

COUNTIES OF INTEREST
      Galway , Meath, Sligo, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny
      and we could consider the other counties.

CONTACT DETAILS
      Sandeep Sharma
      sandeep.sharma@network-ie.ie
      Tel: +353 (0)86 0597 197

ACCESS SERVICE

As a licensed operator we shall be considering the following access
      services:

Service Type: Access Method
      DSL (SDSL/ADSL ) Copper, Radio, Fibre

Name of Company: Educom

Counties: All

Contact Person: Brian Lowe

Phone: 01 8601995

Email Address: brian@educom.ie

Access Service: DSL/FWA/Satellite

Company Name = Wireless Projects
      CGBS Area = Leinster
      Contact Person = Allan Brennan allanbrennan@wirelessprojects.ie
      Access service = Invisible Access

Name Ildana Teo
      Counties of: 26 counties - existing schemes in Donegal, Kerry, Galway, Monaghan, Meath & Limerick
      Contact Catherine Swan ph. 01 869 0376 catherine.swan@ildana.ie
      Type of access service:Satellite

Name: Ice Communications
      Counties: Meath, Kildare, Wicklow, Dublin
      Number: (01) 8850333
      Email: yvonne@icecomms.ie
      Service: FWA

Name Direct Dial Telecom
      Counties Covered All 26
      Contact Andrew Breslin
      Type of Access DSL, Satelite & Wireless
      Contact Number Freephone 1800 930 338
      Address 24 Ranelagh Village, D6

Company Name Crossan Cable
      Interested Counties Co Longford, South Co Cavan, South County Leitrim, East Co Roscommon.
      Contact Person Brian Crossan, Tel 043 46109, Email brian@crossan.ie
      Access Service Cable, Fibre and FWA.

Digiweb's interest as a Service Provider.

Digiweb are willing to consider taking part in a CGBS project anywhere within the 26 counties.

You may also use my details as Digiweb's contact person; see below.

Digiweb have the capabilities to provide broadband backhaul via the following methods;
      DSL, FWA & Satellite.

Declan Campbell
      Business Development Manager
      Digiweb Ltd
      Tel: 00353 42 93 93 321
      Email: dcampbell@digiweb.ie

Name of Company : Ai Bridges

Counties : Clare, Galway, Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Sligo, Mayo

Contact Person :
      Kevin Hayes
      t: 065 6848768
      f: 065 6848769
      m: 086 1084703
      e: khayes@aibridges.ie / info@aibridges.ie

Type of Service : Fibre / FWA / Satellite.

Company Name: Netsource
      Counties of Interest: Dublin, Galway, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Sligo, Wicklow, Waterford
      Contact Details: Louise McKeown, 01 4336000, e-m: lmckeown@netsource.ie
      Service Type: ADSL

Net1 Limited
      Our postal Address: Ballymakenny Road, Drogheda, Co. Louth
      Offering services in: Louth, Meath, North Dublin, Cavan & Monaghan.
      Contact: Andrew Mckeever, Tel 041-9842989 mobile 086-255.2828 email
      amckeever@net1.ie
      Mode of delivery: Fixed wireless access.

Company Name: FastCom Broadband Ltd
      Address: 25 Stephen Street, Sligo
      Counties in which we operate: Sligo, Leitrim, Mayo and Donegal
      Contact Points:
      Conor Toomey, Tel: 071 9174092 / 086 3800270, e-mail: conor@fastcom.ie
      Ross Palmer, Tel: 071 9174092/ 087 2885923 , e-mail ross@fastcom.ie
      Type of Service offered: Fixed Wireless Access (FWA), Satellite

Company Name: e3 Broadband.
      Counties Covered: 26 Counties.
      Contact Person: Derek Byrne/ 1850 303 333/ Sales@e3broadband.ie
      Services: FWA & Satellite.

Mark O'Raw
      Director
      PermaNET Broadband
      Trinity House, 7 Georges Quay,
      Cork, Ireland.
      Phone: +353 21 4323786
      Fax: +353 21 4840304
      Cell: +353 87 8071738
      email: m.oraw@permanet.ie

Interested in Participating in all counties.

Type of Service : Fixed Wireless Access

Name of Company: Amocom Technologies Ltd
      Counties: All
      Phone 021-730-4635
      email oharej@amocom.com
      Type of Access FWA (Fixed Wireless Access)

Name of the company - Magnet Networks.
      Counties - All counties in the Republic and Northern Ireland.
      Contact person - Niall Kelly - (01)-8673687 - niall.kelly@magnetnetworks.com

Type of service access - Fibre, Wireless, ADSL2+(later in the year)

Group Data Scheme Society Ltd
      Christian Cooke, Chairman
      Tel: 086-828.3323
      email: ccooke@groupdatascheme.ie
      web: www.groupdatascheme.ie

They provide advice to communities that are interested in developing a community coop for community-run broadband services.

Astra this sounds like a good idea, do you think that supervalu would allow us? Do you have any contact within supervalu?

Certainly I intend to get a poster or two up ther anyway if allowed.

I am working all day Saturday so I'm not available until Sunday but would be happy to give a few hours over to this project. Perhaps we can meet up on Sunday morning to get things moving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

I have added a Johnstown forum to the TaraWAN boards if anyone is interested (boards.tarawan.net ).

Fell free to use it as you wish. It might give a bit more flexibility as you can have separate threads for different topics as opposed to this one (which is getting very long)

We were talking to a lot of people last night but if anyone has any questions for us at TaraWAN feel free to email us (info@tarawan.net) or visit our website www.tarawan.net

Cheers,
      Daniel Kane

Advertisement