Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in the Stixs (Athenry)

Options
  • 26-01-2005 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffLine has always been very good about campaining for Flat Rate and also for Broadband roll out. In this they have been very succesful.
    How about talking on a campaing for those who live in broadband areas exchange areas but are unable to get broadband becuase of
    A: poor line quality
    B: just outside the small distance limit of 2miles. After all in the UK BT will supply BB up to 10K from the exchange.

Alternativley how about a campaing for wireless bb in rural areas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Got to agree with you here .... the rural areas are never deemed cost effective enough to have broadband provided.. but why should we be left out !!

I live in a small village in Co. Kerry and have virtually no chance of 'normal' broadband.. I use satellite broadband, but this is only 1 way, so still have to pay for upstream call charges... so for being in a rural area we are being penalised and end up having to pay more..

I am about 5-6km away from a broadband enabled exchange, so if Eircon did follow the BT path and have the extended range, then this would open BB up to a lot more people. .... :mad: rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

amen wrote:
    IrelandOffLine has always been very good about campaining for Flat Rate and also for Broadband roll out. In this they have been very succesful.
    How about talking on a campaing for those who live in broadband areas exchange areas but are unable to get broadband becuase of
    A: poor line quality
    B: just outside the small distance limit of 2miles. After all in the UK BT will supply BB up to 10K from the exchange.

Alternativley how about a campaing for wireless bb in rural areas ?

IrelandOffline has been tirelessly campaigning since last July about the issues you have raised. We have extensively been in the press(tv, radio, print media) talking about line failure rates as a result of pair-gains, poor lines and distance from the exchange. We highlighted how the line failure rate is 25% whereas in the UK it's less than 1%

The old committee campaigned a lot for wireless bb and have now set up their own group: http://www.groupdatascheme.ie/ which enables communities to get online.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi Amen,

There are some nodes in Galway county that you may be able to connect into, I'm not involved in these Galway nodes, but I know the people who are.

Irishwan.org is not a WISP, but it might get you broadband with some effort/money on your part.

Have a read of this :
    http://www.skynet.ie/~stephen/wireless/faqs.html

and post your interest on the Irishwan Galway forum :
    http://www.irishwan.org/board

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Dave,

thanks for that. I have been a bit lazy of late and have not been an activate participant. I think its time for me to get up of my lazy ass and doing something so I'll be working on those links.
    e

intersting reading

I'm going to try settup that up in my area.
    I still think IrelandOffLine should be campaining for
    BB up to 10K from exchange and to improve line quality
    after all we are meant to be moving towards a knowledge based society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

amen wrote:
    I still think IrelandOffLine should be campaining for
    BB up to 10K from exchange and to improve line quality
    after all we are meant to be moving towards a knowledge based society

As I stated we have already been campaigning for this under the general line failure debacle. Functional Internet Access would sort a lot of these failure issues and we have made an official submission about it. I take it you've joined our mailing list and volunteers list to help us with this campaign ?

damien.m
    I'm sorry to say I haven't joined the mailing list or vouluntered to help.

Where can I do so ? I'm all up for helping out

Advertisement