Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All hail King George!

Options
  • 26-01-2005 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I remember someone getting flamed for suggesting Bush might run for a third term (because he can't).

Well appears that is just a minor inconvience. :)

go to http://thomas.loc.gov/ and do a search for "H. J. RES. 9" (site does not allow direct linking).

For those that don't bother here is a snippet...
    H. J. RES. 9

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 4, 2005

Mr. SERRANO introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

`Article--

`The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hobbes wrote:
    I remember someone getting flamed for suggesting Bush might run for a third term (because he can't).

Well appears that is just a minor inconvience. :)

From the article, clarifying when it would come into effect...

... when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification

So the invoncenience is that the US could have another Amendment, undoing the current one. OK..so its been put in progress, but in fairness....that was always going to be a way around it.

jc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

The US is becoming less and less democratic. This is absolutely disgraceful

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new Hitler........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TBH when I first read it I was a bit 'wtf?!'. However after some investigation it appears to be a one of those bills that gets made up every year (or close to). There is a similar bill from last year and the same guy tried to get this passed during Clintons time in office.

As for when it comes into power how I read it is that it would be possible to let bush run for office again. Although such a change in the US would probably be as popular as selective service starting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

popinfresh wrote:
    The US is becoming less and less democratic. This is absolutely disgraceful

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new Hitler........

This was put forward by Rep Jose E Serrano , who is a democrat.

( see : http://www.house.gov/serrano/welcome.shtml)

I can only guess he wants clinton back. Much as I would dislike that though, this would be the best thing to ever happen to the democrats , and I am sure would give them 4 more years in the white house from the next election.

who are you suggesting is trying to become Hitler here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

The US is becoming less and less democratic.

Well, I presume there still going to have an actual election so I don't think this is going to affect democracy as such.
    Anyway, I'd like to see Clinton back in the white house, so I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

popinfresh wrote:
    The US is becoming less and less democratic.

So, it’s like Ireland then.

jhegarty wrote:
    This was put forward by Rep Jose E Serrano , who is a democrat.

I would of thought the "Rep" meant Republican? Or what does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hobbes wrote:
    I would of thought the "Rep" meant Republican? Or what does it mean?
    Representative, as in House of, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sparks wrote:
    Representative, as in House of, if I recall correctly.

you do... spot on...

Ahh ok.

That site is pretty cool to read though. So far found.

H. J. RES. 4 - Abolish abortion.
    H. R. 72 - Ban Gay marriages.
    H. J. RES. 7 - Allow praying in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'll start getting worried once it looks like one of this bills will pass, not at this early stage.

I'll stand by my assertion (no proof offered, just my educated opinion) that his own party would desert him if he seriously suggested running for a third term. He is well loved by most Republicans, but that isn't the same as the cult of personality a real dictator would cultivate. No matter how much we want to view Bush as a dictator, it just isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

ionapaul wrote:
    He is well loved by most Republicans, but that isn't the same as the cult of personality a real dictator would cultivate. No matter how much we want to view Bush as a dictator, it just isn't true.

If its cult of personality you want, Arnie is the man.

Stallone: "Hold it! The Schwarzenegger Library?"
    Bullock: "Yes, the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor?"
    Stallone: "Stop! He was President?"
    Bullock: "Yes. Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment…"

http://politicalhumor.about.com/b/a/017452.htm

BTW, Farenheit 911 is on C4 tonight.

Advertisement