Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fake tenners or different signature

• 26-01-2005 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

me mother was at the shops and a friend of hers warned her about fake tenners that the signature on them was wrong and sorta looked like JOE and my mother looked at her tenners and it a few of them she had just gotten in change from the shop had this different singature too, so she was telling me and my ada about this and I was thinking of all the things on the note to forge surely the blue ink scribble of a signature would be easiest and that it was probably just a a different head of the europena bakn or whoever signature it supposed to be....

seems like ove active imagination to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ya but there are so many forgeries in circulation there obviously working unfortunatly!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when i came out of Irish life and perm on O'connell street after taking out €300 over the counter by the time i got down to grafton st. i was flicking through my notes and the bank gave me out two fake €10 euro notes....they weren't even decent forgeries...they were sh!te!!! the sly prick must have taken in a few by accedent so he passing them back out so he wouldn't get crap at work...went back up anyway with my receipt and showed him the notes but he wouldn't take them back so i rported it to the manager....hopefully more people complained and he got a bollocking...cost me €20!!!
    He might even have been the forger?! :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ahh yes, that "Joe" signature that you're talking about is in actual fact-

"Jean Claude Trichet" - he is the second president of the ECB. He replaced Willem F. Duisenberg.

All notes (until such time as he is replaced in due course) will bear his signature.

Your tenner is real, hope you didn't toss it or anything :D

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Ya but there are so many forgeries in circulation there obviously working unfortunatly!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when i came out of Irish life and perm on O'connell street after taking out €300 over the counter by the time i got down to grafton st. i was flicking through my notes and the bank gave me out two fake €10 euro notes....they weren't even decent forgeries...they were sh!te!!! the sly prick must have taken in a few by accedent so he passing them back out so he wouldn't get crap at work...went back up anyway with my receipt and showed him the notes but he wouldn't take them back so i rported it to the manager....hopefully more people complained and he got a bollocking...cost me €20!!!
    He might even have been the forger?! :confused:

why not just spend it, sure if it looks like money then it is as good as money

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Speaking from experience here,
    If you have received a fake note and want to get rid of it,
    the *best* shops to target are Easons, they have no note checking in progress
    primarks are the easiest to get to accept notes, roaches accept them too, a few others I can't think of now at the mo
    there is some decent 50's goiong around and some good 50's
    the 100's are brillant, but the 200's are just unbelievable and you would need to be an expert for the 200's to know it

Lenny wrote:
    primarks are the easiest to get to accept notes, roaches accept them too, a few others I can't think of now at the mo
    the 100's are brillant, but the 200's are just unbelievable and you would need to be an expert for the 200's to know it

Regardless of the information above- I would urge anyone who is given a note they have reason to believe is fake, to pass the note onto the relevant authorities. It is debasing our currency to perpetuate the circulation of fake notes, not to mention an illegal act.

S.

• Advertisement

yeah but then ul lose money. and it is not debasing our currency as the euro is not ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Lenny wrote:

i'm pretty sure it is an offence to knowingly pass on forged notes... :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

It is yes, but its not an offence if the teller doesn't notice it :)

Lenny wrote:
    It is yes, but its not an offence if the teller doesn't notice it :)

It is an offence to knowingly pass forged notes, regardless of their origin, or whether the recipient notices or not.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Who the hell forges 10s? 50s surely? or 100s? 100s aren't produced in Ireland so you can be sure people in shops have probably never seen them (if they will accept them). I worked in a shop all summer once and only saw 2 (real ones... i think.. ahem.. actually i didn't accept them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

but how can they prove you knew it was fake, if i got one i wont turn in into the gardai id defo spend it, no question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Both fakes that I've been given (I'm fairly scrupulous) were €10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

lomb wrote:
    and it is not debasing our currency as the euro is not ours.
    Oh deary me

Arse, elbow.

sceptre wrote:
    Oh deary me

Arse, elbow.
    and the euro was an invention of ireland....total B$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Would u not be better off getting a job instead of faking tenners? If you can fake a tenner, you can get better than min. wage probably (use of computers etc).

.. why fake 10s not 50s? People might be less vigilant with 10s, but 50 has five times more value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who the hell forges 10s? 50s surely? or 100s? 100s aren't produced in Ireland so you can be sure people in shops have probably never seen them (if they will accept them).
    Few enough people will check €5s and €10, everyone checks €50s and they'll take the book out for anything bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lomb wrote:
    and the euro was an invention of ireland....total B$
    Why? What do you pay people in? Peanuts?

i am forced to use euros, by an idiot government that has lost control of the one lever that historically the government had- interest rate control.
    property prices have spiraled due to ridiculous short sighted interest rates that are geared towards a sluggish continental ecomomy not a booming irish one.

overall i couldnt give a monkeys about europe and their currency and kph and eurocrats etc.

the fact remains our biggest trading partner has shunned the euro, and needless metrification on the road, i cant see why ireland had to join the bandwagon if our partner wasnt ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

lomb wrote:
    i am forced to use euros, by an idiot government that has lost control of the one lever that historically the government had- interest rate control.
    Paaaaands and aaaaaances, paaaaands and aaaaances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

DubGuy22 wrote:
    I couldn't believe my eyes when i came out of Irish life and perm on O'connell street after taking out €300 over the counter by the time i got down to grafton st. i was flicking through my notes and the bank gave me out two fake €10 euro notes...
    So you walked from O' Connell Street to Grafton St. flicking through €300 in notes? Thieves must love people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

lomb wrote:
    and needless metrification on the road.
    Yeah, why the crap are they doing that anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

lomb, you're an idiot. The eurozone is our biggest trading partner.

€10's are most commonly forged because people don't check them. There's no point forging a large note because they always get checked. The process of printing a forgery is relatively simple - if you're confused, check the paper - the paper isn't available to forgers so that's what will always give them away. Really, they should have used plastic for the euro banknotes, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

lomb wrote:
    ...and needless metrification on the road...
    I don't think it's needless, but I do think why did they change to Km/h and not just go to m/s? Or, when it comes down to it, fractions of the speed of light.

lomb, you're an idiot. The eurozone is our biggest trading partner.

afraid not on both counts m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

NotMe wrote:
    So you walked from O' Connell Street to Grafton St. flicking through €300 in notes? Thieves must love people like you.

lol..DAMN YOU! it was badly phrased i admit.....but you know what i mean...i didn't flick through them untill i was on Grafton street :P
    My mistake, i should have checked them in the bank, but he counted out the money 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300....first and second 10'er being the fakes, and using a very quick slight of hand escaped my attention....but it was confirmed to me he knew what he was doing when my friend who works in AIB told me that all tellers (regardless of bank) are supposed to count down from the highest denomination to the smallest (50, 100, 150, 200, 210...etc), and whay did he give €100 in €10's as apposed to €20's....it just made me so angry that a bank gave out bad money!
    And no, i wouldn't spend the money like a scumbag and make it someone else's problem...if everyone who got a forgery destroyed/got rid of it instead of passing it on like "it's not my problem" ,then it would be much less of a problem, and our money would be worth more.......

[rant] Lomb, regardless of wheter we "invented" the euro, it's our national currency, the fact that other countries have it also is irrelivant to the fact that it is our national currency....and we didn't "invent" the punt either...we just changed it's name from the irish pound to the punt....the currency was passed to us from the days of British occupation.....also, Britain does represent our largest trading partner if you are only looking at individual countries....but if you are looking at regions or "zones" then europe is by far our largest partner....that is the whole point of the Euro...to make a trading block in Europe, where all our trading is done together thus keeping our money in the european economy, and causeing multi-national american companies to set up/re-locate inside the EU member states to avail of our trading incentives therefore creating greater employment and GDP for each member state...Remember the Technoligy boom, or "celtic tiger" that you blame europe for destroying on us with their "ridiculous short sighted interest rates that are geared towards a sluggish continental ecomomy not a booming irish one" Well those US companies such as DELL etc. didn't just arrive in Ireland because they felt like it, it was because exporting from a member state country would massively cheaper than from the US where they would have been charged hugh import tax, they chose Ireland because of our highly skilled work force and tax incentives set out by our government and funded by the EU. Also EU funds our infrastructer development plan.....It is no exageration to say we would be closer to a third world country than what we are now, the fourth richest country in the world juding by income per capita if it wasn't for the EU. Im an economics student...and yes, you are an idiot.[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

have to point out that I told my mother is was just a different guy signing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

ternners and fives are beeter fakes cos theyre always in tatters anyway.
    ive had fives that were in no way discernibly legitimate, ie, all security marks had been worrn away and were so filthy you cant identify the watermark etc.

and they werent even checked, just the usual, "beeledin minoplee munnee" response
    anyway they were reeal fives but if thats how bad they look you could probably photocopy a few leave them in a puddle of muck for a day and then go to town and get locked ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

One fairly easy test if you think you have a fake tenner. Check to see if the serial number begins with T, which means the note is Irish. So far there have been no forged Irish notes, and chances are there won't be in future. They tend to come from the bigger countries like France, Spain or Germany.
    This may change in future of course, but for now is a fairly quick way of checking. Because of my "hobby" of tracking these notes I would examine most of them failry carefully, and many times have come across notes that at first appear to be fake, but have actually been crushed up, put through the wash etc.
    The Irish Central Bank is one of the most lax in the Euro-Zone when it comes to destroying old notes and bringing in new ones, which means there are a huge amount of really dodgy fivers and tenners going around which in Holland or Finland would have been destroyed long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

fjon wrote:
    One fairly easy test if you think you have a fake tenner. Check to see if the serial number begins with T, which means the note is Irish.

Interesting fact: the serial number will be divisible by 6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Why dont you spread that fact around a bit, makes it easier on the forgers you know :)

Anyway, I dont think i've ever come across a forged note, although some of the fivers i've had have been in tatters.

Should have plastic money, like australia

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SMcCarrick wrote:
    Regardless of the information above- I would urge anyone who is given a note they have reason to believe is fake, to pass the note onto the relevant authorities. It is debasing our currency to perpetuate the circulation of fake notes, not to mention an illegal act.

S.

While it might be the morally right thing to do, taking a forged note from the bank and giving it to the gardaí is just bending over and spreading them. You have to know when to hold 'em etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

DubGuy22 wrote:
    i should have checked them in the bank
    Ah see there's the thing, how many of us check notes we get from banks, pubs, shops etc? And yet they check every note we give them (except banks, funnily enough), so it's always us who lose out.

Personally, I take great pleasure in holding up notes to check for fakes, particularly if the cashier has given me change from a note they have checked themselves. Normally I get looks of disguist from them. I've handed back notes at least twice in Tesco, once for being suspect forgery, the other for being tattered beyond recognition. Both times the cashier threw a strop and the manager had to be called. Great fun.

At the end of the day, these establishments won't accept our dodgy notes, be them forged or tattered, so why would we accept theirs? Today's lesson kids, is check every note that crosses your palms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Peteee wrote:
    Should have plastic money, like australia
    Mmm, I remember seeing those on Tomorrow's World in the mid-eighties. They reckoned we'd all be using them by the early 90s. Looks like they underestimated the power of lethargy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Nermal wrote:
    Interesting fact: the serial number will be divisible by 6.

I think it's 9 actually. Definitely 3 though ;)

Advertisement