Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving Portroe Quarry

• 26-01-2005 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Does anybody know who owns Portroe quarry,and how to go about getting permission to dive there?

Great dive site,excellent for training.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Is this the quarry in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 olympus

Yeah

Dived there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

No I haven't but I believe its closed to diving, I've heard somebody mention it recently, but don't quote me on it.

Has anybody got a photo of the quarry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Dived there once several years ago.

Difficult access but the water was gin-clear and you get good depth if you wanted. Quite cold though.

It's unfortunate it's not available. We need a good inland site in Ireland for winter training or practice dives. Particularly after the crap weather we've had these last few weeks. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

patto_chan wrote:
    It's unfortunate it's not available. We need a good inland site in Ireland for winter training or practice dives. Particularly after the crap weather we've had these last few weeks. :mad:

Absolutely.... somewhere to sharpen the skills before stepping back onto a rocking rib would be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 olympus

Speaking of training and the likes,does anybody know any good sites in the Munster region for snorkelling and getting some uncomplicated dives under the belt before the season proper starts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Anemone

If you don't mind coming east a bit, Hook Head in Wexford offers some good shallow shore diving and snorkeling. Like any shore site though, the weather needs to be right.

There's a partially submerged wreck at the bottom of the cliffs in Ardmore, Co. Waterford, that offers a reasonable 'starter' dive. About a mile west of there, west of Ram Head, there's some interesting diving close in to shore. Both of these require a boat though. I can put you in touch with a local PADI outfit, if you want.

Advertisement